Well I did it :( On my 3DR Solo

so really the FAA registration is only to prove you have read the safety rules…. so if you are involved in an incident and you were found not to be in compliance… you are in trouble

They should allow us to put our contact information OR faa registration number on the drone. So those that chose not to register are covered without putting our names in a .gov list. This will serve the same purpose.

The AMA allows for the same thing, AMA number OR your contact information must be on or in your aircraft to cover their rules and therefore validate their insurance.

We should push back on the FAA, marking our recreational drone with our contact information serves the same purpose as their registration number without affecting our privacy by putting our names in a government database.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog and Joe Horn
They should allow us to put our contact information OR faa registration number on the drone. So those that chose not to register are covered with putting our names in a .gov list. This will serve the same purpose.

The AMA allows for the same thing, AMA number OR your contact information must be on or in your aircraft to cover their rules and therefore validate their insurance.

We should push back on the FAA, marking our recreational drone with our contact information serves the same purpose as their registration number without affecting our privacy by putting our names in a government database.
That is a GREAT idea! Clearly too simple for the Feds- and it takes control away from there.

If you want it to go away, don't register and show that it is a failed idea.

This is a really good discussion and has really shed some light for me on what appears to be nothing more than the first step toward a future ability to tax through registration. Not even registering the drone itself, but the person- come on... Please, can I be on that list? I have no problem taking responsibility for myself and as such have no problem at all putting my name, business name and contact information on a sticker in the battery tray of the drone and cannot see how that would not stand up in any situation that led to legal arbitration.

Oh well. ..just one more list to be on. .. personally I think it's a little funny that I don't have to register this:
a447dc41-425f-4989-85d4-2ef8f182718e.png

or this:
VID_20110430_185227_100-1.jpg

or this:
eceba776-52ea-4da7-af5b-f0a190db119b.jpg

but my quadcopter (one of the least hazardous things I own) might pose a threat so it should be watched carefully. ..lol

Clearly I need to hang with you.

Reactions: Maddog
While I don't have a problem registering, (as if that's going to stop those who behave badly), it seems that if we register, we may lose the ability to help when it's really needed. As a member of the Air Bears search and rescue, we're being advised not to register yet. "Attention fellow Air Bears, due to the stipulation in the new FAA registration process that requires pilots to avoid emergency situations, if you choose to register, we may have to suspend you as an active volunteer until these matters are resolved. This is a fluid situation, and we are considering our legal options. Stay tuned."

I found 3/4 inch letter and number decals at my local Ace Hardware. Except, it's black lettering on white background. Eh, no big deal if it's not that pretty. If we were to be following the black and white to the "T", we should have the numbers on both sides of the Solo. lol. Ehhhhh. Just going to keep it on the same side you put yours on. Anyhow, not a big deal to register. I look at it the same way I looked at my license number decals I had to put on a Jet Ski I owned a longgggg time ago.

While I don't have a problem registering, (as if that's going to stop those who behave badly), it seems that if we register, we may lose the ability to help when it's really needed. As a member of the Air Bears search and rescue, we're being advised not to register yet. "Attention fellow Air Bears, due to the stipulation in the new FAA registration process that requires pilots to avoid emergency situations, if you choose to register, we may have to suspend you as an active volunteer until these matters are resolved. This is a fluid situation, and we are considering our legal options. Stay tuned."

That's interesting. I was actually thinking of going to talk to someone at our PD who heads the Search and Rescue department to see if they accept any volunteers with birds like ours. I think the Solo would be a boon in SR ops. Anyhow, I joined the AMA earlier in the week and put a call in to customer service to inquire about a resource at their office knowledgeable about Section 333 Exemption. The rep I spoke to also mentioned that members are also being advised to hold off on the FAA Registration as the AMA is working to have the requirement nixed.

From the aerial filming perspective, I don't really see what the fuss is all about but, your post gave a different perspective why to hold off. But, to suspend you if you've already registered? Innnterrrrresssting.

Why would you not be able to help?

That's interesting. I was actually thinking of going to talk to someone at our PD who heads the Search and Rescue department to see if they accept any volunteers with birds like ours. I think the Solo would be a boon in SR ops. Anyhow, I joined the AMA earlier in the week and put a call in to customer service to inquire about a resource at their office knowledgeable about Section 333 Exemption. The rep I spoke to also mentioned that members are also being advised to hold off on the FAA Registration as the AMA is working to have the requirement nixed.

From the aerial filming perspective, I don't really see what the fuss is all about but, your post gave a different perspective why to hold off. But, to suspend you if you've already registered? Innnterrrrresssting.
I submitted my 333 paperwork mid-August. Still waiting. Having this will allow one to fly for profit but it imposes restrictions not put on the general public.

Being part of a emergency response team is a lot different than being a looky loo and interfering with first responders trying to do their job. I wouldn't care what the AMA says about waiting. If your local PD is interested in you helping with search and rescue, then go for it. You could be doing some good instead of waiting for politics to work out in court. Nothing against the AMA, but I think they are trying to take a big bite, and I hope they can chew it. This is just my opinion, guys.

I wanted to be the first, I was thinking of staying up until midnight the night before. unfortunately I was tired, and went to bed instead. Didn't matter, when I checked it in the morning the registration wasn't available, even as late as 10:00 am. I did register later that day. I'm probably not the first, but I likely have a pretty low number.

Why would you not be able to help?
Hi Maddog. I think the holdup is the language within the registration that prohibits the pilot from being around situations where emergency responders would be present. Obviously, if the emergency responder has requested help from the drone community, especially via an organization like Air Bears, logic would dictate that the pilot would be authorized to help. Still, in this legal beagle world, Air Bears and the AMA have to promote the most conservative views for the good of the organization in order to protect the organization from unforeseen legal issues. But again, I'm certain that anyone in this community, if called upon by local authorities, would rush to preserve life and limb, regardless of legal beagle mumbo jumbo. As for actually registering, we've been given until Feb 19 to register and, other than the $5, I see no reason to rush. BTW, thanks for your inputs into this community. I enjoy reading your stuff.

I hope all of you that have run out to register had read and understand what you had agreed to when you registered.
Well your special now ,, you have a SN enjoy it. Next you will have identifying marks on your neck to fly

Surprised no one has mentioned what is perhaps the primary reason the FAA has chose this particular registration route. That is, at least a chance to expose thousands of new, uninformed drone operators to the rules and regulations of flying that shiny new drone they got for Xmas. To register, you must read the rules. Will it stop the reckless operators? Nope. No more any other form of registration. But at least it's a way to make sure the word gets out.

Hi Maddog. I think the holdup is the language within the registration that prohibits the pilot from being around situations where emergency responders would be present. Obviously, if the emergency responder has requested help from the drone community, especially via an organization like Air Bears, logic would dictate that the pilot would be authorized to help. Still, in this legal beagle world, Air Bears and the AMA have to promote the most conservative views for the good of the organization in order to protect the organization from unforeseen legal issues. But again, I'm certain that anyone in this community, if called upon by local authorities, would rush to preserve life and limb, regardless of legal beagle mumbo jumbo. As for actually registering, we've been given until Feb 19 to register and, other than the $5, I see no reason to rush. BTW, thanks for your inputs into this community. I enjoy reading your stuff.
Thank you! I just wasn't aware of the language in the regulation.

Sounds like they were trying to keep drones from flying too close to emergency situations (like wildfires), hampering efforts of emergency workers. That's good.

Perhaps as an unintended consequence, it sounds like drones have been prevented from helping when asked. That's bad.

Do I have that right?

Surprised no one has mentioned what is perhaps the primary reason the FAA has chose this particular registration route. That is, at least a chance to expose thousands of new, uninformed drone operators to the rules and regulations of flying that shiny new drone they got for Xmas. To register, you must read the rules. Will it stop the reckless operators? Nope. No more any other form of registration. But at least it's a way to make sure the word gets out.
That's true.

Does anybody know if new drone purchasers are being required to register by the retailer where they buy the drone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M