Tired of solo troubles

I think the audio kind of sucked, Death metal might have gone better with that footage.

as i read dji inspire forum section lots of inspire crashes very scary product
I have read much the same. Lots of bugs that made for an unstable bird (they update the software weekly in some cases and many patches add new bugs). Plus how many different solutions to lock down the props have they been through? How many had catastrophic crashes because the props came off in flight.

I'm loving the Solo and no longer lust after the I1. Except for the X5 camera which seems amazing, I just wouldn't want to have it come crashing down after spending $5K on it.

I have read much the same. Lots of bugs that made for an unstable bird (they update the software weekly in some cases and many patches add new bugs). Plus how many different solutions to lock down the props have they been through? How many had catastrophic crashes because the props came off in flight.

I'm loving the Solo and no longer lust after the I1. Except for the X5 camera which seems amazing, I just wouldn't want to have it come crashing down after spending $5K on it.

my first bad experience of dji the propeler detach itself while hovering about 6 meter hieght and the second one the soldering wire contact point in the esc suddenly crack and the motor stop then the phantom plump into the face of the earth but dji wont admit the faulty workmanship. the latest info from dji forums more crashes due of latest firmware updates another latest posted the I1 lost cause of flyaways december 27 2015 DJI Forum|Lost I1 THE FUTURE OF FLYAWAY

Last edited:
Common guys, regardless of how or what it was taken with, it is a cool video. Realistically I consider myself a dronist. I don't follow one brand and I won't sit here and praise the 3DR gods saying the Solo is the best and only. Take it with a grain of salt, watch a cool video and enjoy someone who enjoyed flying and taking some crazy shots. I have had my share of DJI, 3DR and many other builds and brands. They all have something I liked about them.

I would love to have and try every MR available. Sure I would love an Inspire. I love my Solo but I would also love an Inspire as I am sure it can do some things a Solo can't and vice versa.
Amen also a "dronist"!

Well you are on a 3DR specific site, you should expect some loyalty here. If that bothers you focus on the many forums that cover all drones

I agree, but we all know there are many brands of people out there as well. Some people like to show off because they believe they have the superior product and are better because of it. If I REALLY wanted, I could buy an Inspire and get some great shots as well with an all in one package. Lets face it, when would a hobbyist like myself fly with someone who could man the radio with a second radio? I strongly believe the Inspire was made for amateur videographers and production companies looking for a quick and easy aerial shot who didn't mind spending $3-4000.

Now I am not saying by any stretch that the Solo is lacking anything the Inspire has. Often people gauge the quality and capability of a product based on price. I see this all the time.

A great video is a great video and it goes far beyond the capability of the MR. Post production can turn a video of a $100 FPV racing quad into a gem and without it an aerial video from a very expensive spread wings would look terrible...end of rant.
I agree. Drones of this caliber are tools, not toys. A Solo can produce the same footage, equal or better with a hero4 black camera. I by far am not a Pro but do enjoy taking and editing videos both in the air, on the ground and under the water. As with stills and video, the subject, staging and lighting all play apart. Then spend time cutting, speeding and slowing, adding effects and cleaning the frames, then delete or add audio as you wish in the editing stage.

Nice video, awesome location/conditions, could work on smoother panning.

But presenting this video under the guise of "Solo is nothing but trouble, look how awesome it's direct competitor is that I was able to drop 2x the price of your guy's Solos on" was the wrong approach if your only interest was getting feedback on the video.

No platform is without issues, not the Solo, not DJI birds, not $10,000+ purpose built systems. In the end, a talented operator will always produce superior results with inferior equipment, so any idea that "I couldn't do this with X product as well as I can with Y product" is kinda ridiculous.

It literally took 6 months for me to pick a Phantom3, Solo, or the Yuneec. In the end, I decided based on two criteria: 1. I don't want to deal with firmware updates and 2. Crashing because my skill level.

That's right....I went with the Yuneec 4k.
Out of the box, no firmware update needed, no compass calibration of any kind, and ease of flying so that I'm left with concentrating on the shots....
This was my 3rd flight......
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's not the fastest bird or fly the farthest but all I want is to shoot videos.....
DJI and 3DR need to learn something about out of the box ease of use and user experience......

have fun l
It literally took 6 months for me to pick a Phantom3, Solo, or the Yuneec. In the end, I decided based on two criteria: 1. I don't want to deal with firmware updates and 2. Crashing because my skill level.

Out of the box, no firmware update needed, no compass calibration of any kind, and ease of flying so that I'm left with concentrating on the shots....
It's not the fastest bird or fly the farthest but all I want is to shoot videos.....
DJI and 3DR need to learn something about out of the box ease of use and user experience......

Please dont take this personal but you can have it. What is the weird banding in that video I almost bought a yuneek but heard the cameras were terrible, your video just made me very happy to be shooting with a GP4 Black

I'm not sure where you get your info from but it only takes me a couple of minutes to get either my solo or P3 ready to fly. As far as firmware upgrades the solo has had few and I haven't done one on my P3 for months, I am on an older firmware and have not had any issues so far. So I will let the 3000 solo forum members an 40,000 P3 forum members compared to the 521 Yuneec 4K members speak for itself.

Like many of you have pointed out, much of the end product has to do with things other than the quality of the camera. The subject, music, editing, time of day. There is nothing like smiling and taking the credit for a perfect reflection off calm water.

The GoPro 3+ Black was used by Guy Ritchie in Man from U.N.C.L.E recently, the people that say the GoPro can't be used professionally, 99.99% of the time are those people that never do anything more than post videos on YouTube anyway.

There's apparently BTS video of Michael Bay filming with the Solo in his new film, which will be released once it's cleared by the studio. I've seen a photo of that with my own eyes, but I won't re-post it here as it was on someone's personal timeline on Facebook.

Other recent films to incorporate the GoPro include (and I'm sure there's plenty more where the camera is used without being credited):
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ex Machina
Need for Speed
I agree !!

IMHO if you have acceptable focus and depth of field - Color Grading in post can bring it all together....

I enjoy what GoPro has to offer. If we work on our craft of filmmaking the rest may not be as important? I've taught graphic art...over attaining a science....ok...I'm also a gear geek too - gimme my Red.

Just my humble $.02

go pro has fish eye in it.
i have a go pro hero 4 blackface.
make me an offer i can't refuse for it.

So do you guys use software to remove the fish eye effect? I've never own a go pro. The fish eye thing just turns me off. I've seen some of the amateur videos and it's just horrible. I just hate the curvature of the horizon with the fish eye effect.

So do you guys use software to remove the fish eye effect? I've never own a go pro. The fish eye thing just turns me off. I've seen some of the amateur videos and it's just horrible. I just hate the curvature of the horizon with the fish eye effect.
Then remove it!

So you pay $400 for a camera and then have to use software to remove fisheye?

How to fix gopro fisheye fast!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso