Sun Glare & Flickers

Reaction score
Website
www.jasonyapp.com
Hey guys,

So, I got some really good footage today - but much of it is flickering from the sun. I have the attachment on the lens which is supposed to prevent this - but there's a lot of good spots where this is happening.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to fix this in post production? I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Everything I shot is in Flat Native, so hopefully I can fix this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jason

I'm not sure about fixing it in post. I think the best way would be to get a lense filter. Could you post a clip demonstrating the flickering? I have never seen this. When I expose my gopro to sun, the image gets washed out and there is some lense flair but I have never seen flickering...

The flickering is the sun light coming through the props. Not much you can do about it except turn the bird away from the sun. The lens hood helps but it all depends on the angle. Get a set of ND filters too.

The ND filters really help to get rid of this effect. Evidently, the prop frequencies are near to some small multiple of the shutter frequency of the GoPro. Putting a filter on greatly reduces the shutter speed, increasing the frequency multiple, and practically eliminating this effect.

Reactions: YAPP
Hey guys,

So, I got some really good footage today - but much of it is flickering from the sun. I have the attachment on the lens which is supposed to prevent this - but there's a lot of good spots where this is happening.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way to fix this in post production? I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Everything I shot is in Flat Native, so hopefully I can fix this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jason
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lens flare can be fixed in post, but it's very difficult. It involves duplicating layers, masking, tweaking, and a lot of fudging. There is no single fix. It depends on the footage.

As for prop flicker, that can also be fixed in post, but again it's very difficult and time consuming. There is a plugin called Flicker Free that can do a pretty good job, but it wasn't actually designed for prop flicker. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials on it. Here's one (I think it's possible to get even better results than he does):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for all of the replies and help guys!

Yes, the flickering of light I was referring to is definitely from the props. The sun hitting the props is being reflected in my video in a lot of spots. I'm certainly going to get a filter because I captured a lot of good video, but much of it has this prop flickering going on.

I'm gonna buy an ND filter, but I have no idea which one to go with?? There's a long list of them. Can anybody make a recommendation? I'm using a GoPro Hero4: Black.

I'm gonna buy an ND filter, but I have no idea which one to go with?? There's a long list of them. Can anybody make a recommendation? I'm using a GoPro Hero4: Black.
Blurfix Air or PolorPro. Others will post links I'm sure, but there are links and recommendations in the GoPro sticky thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig