Gopro firmware 5.0 is the way to go

Reaction score
A little test video of 5.0. This test area provides me with lots of different textures and light conditions. Video is 2.7K, 60fps, shutter locked at 1/120, WB native, color flat, sharpness low, ISO 400 max, with a ND 32 Filter. It was edited with Gopro Studio with little enhancement and saved as 1080. Its extremely boring, however, I just wanted to see how these setting handled a variety of light conditions. From green plants to the sun reflecting off the water. A 64 filter may be the way to go even. May run it through Adobe Premier and see what can be done. <iframe width="854" height="480" src="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Before someone loses their mind... You're talking about GoPro firmware version 5.0, correct?

I have a Hero 5 and other than a linear field of view at 2.7K 60fps the black is just as good. Since the 5 came out I have bought three 4 blacks at a decent price. Put a Peau lens on a 4 and you have a superior camera I think.

The 5 is a little heavier. Plus the huge amount of gimbals available for the Hero 4 for the DIY people is a huge bonus. The main purpose of the video I posted was just to see how the Hero 4 with the shutter locked handled changes in light or the reflectivity of what it was looking at. 1/120 of a second exposure handled yawing fairly well I thought. The yaw movement is always the hardest to deal with it seems. I didn't use Gopro color because everything looks to artificial. The color could have been better had I spent some time with post production. This was just a test with a very dark filter and using the ISO to help regulate the exposure.

Reactions: pyrate
Just ordered the Peau filter pack on sale for $60. I'll finally have the elusive ND 64 filter I've been wanting.

A little test video of 5.0. This test area provides me with lots of different textures and light conditions. Video is 2.7K, 60fps, shutter locked at 1/120, WB native, color flat, sharpness low, ISO 400 max, with a ND 32 Filter. It was edited with Gopro Studio with little enhancement and saved as 1080. Its extremely boring, however, I just wanted to see how these setting handled a variety of light conditions. From green plants to the sun reflecting off the water. A 64 filter may be the way to go even. May run it through Adobe Premier and see what can be done. <iframe width="854" height="480" src="

Are you able to use FPV with the update?

Because I was under the impression and my experience was that only version 3 with gopro4 black would work FPV

Because I was under the impression and my experience was that only version 3 with gopro4 black would work FPV
Getting a live view from the camera to your tablet has nothing to do with the FW or camera used, as long as the camera has a compatible HD out port. We use not only GoPro but Panasonic GH4 and Sony a6300 on our Solo Grande project.

Same basic boring test video enhanced. <iframe width="854" height="480" src="

Reactions: Doug Benson
With GoPro firmware 4.0 and higher, you lose the automatic power on when you turn on the Solo. That's the only Solo / GoPro function that is broken.

Correct. Although I've never tried it, you probably can't change shutter speed on the fly. I set up video parameters and photo parameters ahead of time.

I have confirmed FVP works fine (well, the same anyway) with GPH4B firmware 5.0 & 3.0...

Otherwise I use 5.0 to set my ISO to the lowest setting (100?) and lock the shutter speed however a number of these newer settings are not available via solo so I have to use the the GP menus or GP app. I use an ND filter as well... Of course as already mentioned by P2P, GP does not power on with the Solo using 5.0...

I'm referring to the solo and the use of the gimbal and the FPV because GoPro made it so that it no longer works with the Solo software and when I checked with 3dr support they told me that only version 3 will work with gimbal which is what I am referring to.

that is not correct
several people have posted it works fine with solo
I used it for a while, but ended up putting mine back on the older version.

I'm referring to the solo and the use of the gimbal and the FPV because GoPro made it so that it no longer works with the Solo software and when I checked with 3dr support they told me that only version 3 will work with gimbal which is what I am referring to.
Hmmm... That strange, because I use my GoPro Hero 4 Black with firmware 5.0 and FPV works with my Solo with Gimbal just like rev 3.0 did. No issues, rev 5.0 works great except for the fact I have to manually power on the GP...

Reactions: Andreas Schroeter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986