Solo not powering on gopro

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had an issue with my solo not turning on my gopro ( with gimble) after installing gopro firmware update 4.0, please find response below from my service ticket:

Hi Kris,

Thank you for contacting 3Drobotics.

Hope your day is going well.

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Reactions: mikeo and algojo
Hi all

I have had an issue with my solo not turning on my gopro ( with gimble) after installing gopro firmware update 4.0, please find response below from my service ticket:

Hi Kris,

Thank you for contacting 3Drobotics.

Hope your day is going well.

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,
I have the Hero 3+ black should I stay on the 3.0 firmware?

I have the Hero 3+ black should I stay on the 3.0 firmware?

The most recent firmware version for the Hero 3+ Black is 3.03 which was released 2 September 2015. The announcements for version 4 and version 5 do not apply to the Hero 3+ Black. Sorry.

The most recent firmware version for the Hero 3+ Black is 3.03 which was released 2 September 2015. The announcements for version 4 and version 5 do not apply to the Hero 3+ Black. Sorry.
Thanks, I noticed that my Hero 3+ does not turn on when I power up the Solo? I have to do it manually? Do you know if the prior version to 3.03 did not have that issue? I have a Hero 4 black and Silver on order and will put it back to 3.0 when I get them.

I bought a GP4B that already v4.0 firmware. I don't think it's too much trouble just to turn on the GP prior to or after turning on the Solo. Unless the firmware upgrade / downgrade is 100% foul proof, which I don't think it is, there's a chance that doing any kind of firmware updating / downgrading can brick your GP. Not worth the risk IMO.

I bought a GP4B that already v4.0 firmware. I don't think it's too much trouble just to turn on the GP prior to or after turning on the Solo. Unless the firmware upgrade / downgrade is 100% foul proof, which I don't think it is, there's a chance that doing any kind of firmware updating / downgrading can brick your GP. Not worth the risk IMO.
There is another issue with the video also?

There is another issue with the video also?
No video issue here, but as with what OP said, mine doesn't turn on either when turning on the Solo, which is annoying, but i can live with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig