Solo Grande..A DIY Build from Solo..

Reaction score
An update regarding the build of my 'Solo Grande'. Things are coming along nicely and now in to more flight tests! The good news is that Smart Shots are going to be able to be used, with the exception of auto tilt control. That is something that has yet to be publicly cracked, and there is a feeling that may be close to a reality. What that means for now though is that shots like Orbit, MPCC and Zipline you will program the shots as usual and it will fly and orient the shot as usual, but tilting will need to be done using the tilt lever. But with the Pixhawk and iMx6 computer doing the flying, it still leaves the pilot free to concentrate on the tilt as needed.

I included a picture below next to a couple of Solos. It gives a greater idea to just how big this thing really is. Those are 24"x6 Props! (motors are rated for 28"). We are using the 24" for testing, but it actually flies better on the 21x7 CF. We are using both a GH4 and the Sony a6300 cameras on the home made gimbal with dual IMUs, 1 on the bird and 1 on the camera. Motors are the ultra big and efficient T-motor U8 170kv and we are powering them with 2 12000ma 6s in series (48v).

uc

Top cover removed to show Solo board.
uc

Why it is called 'Grande"!
uc

Arms fold down and legs outward. It will stand when folded.
uc

Last edited:
Very nice, can't wait to see how this matures.

Are you using the Solo Controller?

Is the toilet roll an optional extra?
Or do you really crap yourself flying this?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ETHome
Forgot the transport mode photo. Takes only a few seconds to fold down. Fits in a pelican 1630 Case..
Very nice, can't wait to see how this matures.

Are you using the Solo Controller?
Yes, Solo brains and controller. Both with Microtik boards.

Any chance you'll bake an instructable or similar? What is the flight time on this?

Very nice:) If you can crack the gimbal moves to function like Solo there won't be much to compare.

Very nice:) If you can crack the gimbal moves to function like Solo there won't be much to compare.
Thanks Robbi.. Yes, that's the Holy Grail right now. Being able to use these larger gimbals with the existing gimbal code would open a lot of possibilities:)! But therein lies the rub.. With such a unique ability that has still not been duplicated on any other consumer drone, what would you do with it if you had it? Would you give it to the world for free and open use for other companies to market that ability on their own and profit? Would you come up with some sort of licensing on a royalty basis and close out the DIY market? I think these questions are why we haven't seen it yet. @pyrate @Pedals2Paddles @Ian [P13] @RichWest @EyeWingsuit @Maddog @SARDG and all you other DIYers, what do you think is keeping the secret sauce secret??
So as not to go off subject with this thread, I have moved the discussion here.. Thanks...

Last edited:
I think that thing rocks!!!
what gimbal is that? Mine is much smaller but by no means small.
your right the gimbal magic code is all we need now, it is such a shame 3dr will not release it, if indeed it is still theirs to release. I cant imagine smart shots are a big part of Site Scan
With Kelly in the middle of Solex and the upcoming PH2 solo release and in the absence of 3DR doing the right thing, we have to wait on a coder to help us out.
My plan was to dive into dronekit after my 107 and try to figure out how to get smart shots on my Edison working. Since basically the smart shot code is in dronekit.
But
Don P who has been doing amazing things with ROS and computer vision he has almost talked me into learning ROS instead

That thing is awesome though man, I'm not even worthy of that beast
Fantastic and Inspiring

I think that thing rocks!!!
what gimbal is that? Mine is much smaller but by no means small.
your right the gimbal magic code is all we need now, it is such a shame 3dr will not release it, if indeed it is still theirs to release. I cant imagine smart shots are a big part of Site Scan
With Kelly in the middle of Solex and the upcoming PH2 solo release and in the absence of 3DR doing the right thing, we have to wait on a coder to help us out.
My plan was to dive into dronekit after my 107 and try to figure out how to get smart shots on my Edison working. Since basically the smart shot code is in dronekit.
But
Don P who has been doing amazing things with ROS and computer vision he has almost talked me into learning ROS instead

That thing is awesome though man, I'm not even worthy of that beast
Fantastic and Inspiring
Thanks buddy.. But what do you think of my statement above? What would the owner of the magic sauce benefit by releasing it with no return?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl