Solo Grande..A DIY Build from Solo..

Good will, and the satisfaction that at some level they delivered on the promise of future proof,
3dr has a long DIY history
My guess is they may have relinquished the ownership of the software to some other party as part of the sell off

Thanks buddy.. But what do you think of my statement above? What would the owner of the magic sauce benefit by releasing it with no return?

I'm actually in the process of the gimbal "magic code" I've been making the same considerations, I was thinking open source to see more for the community but I'd also consider a startup and keeping it secret. I want to make a gimbal that could be used with large cameras and also one that would with substantially less and use a smaller 4k camera. @pyrate

Reactions: pyrate
and then there is always the wonder kid coming in from left field with amazing code
WOHOOO
what camera are you looking at.
My current camera target is the Panasonic Gx85
low weight
5 axis in body stabilization
M43 sensor lens swappable
4K recording in camera

and then there is always the wonder kid coming in from left field with amazing code
WOHOOO
what camera are you looking at.
My current camera target is the Panasonic Gx85
low weight
5 axis in body stabilization
M43 sensor lens swappable
4K recording in camera

I think the Sony a6300 would be better, larger sensor, nfc. To connect the camera data through the gimbal it is either going to need to be nfc or Bluetooth capable the Panasonic is not.

Reactions: Jubalr
it has hdmi out, and does not over heat though
I haven't had an overheating issue on my a6300. I know it has a history that it can, but you have to remember that we are not shooting in a studio. We have a great deal of airflow around the camera in our application on drones.

they could have resolved it
they are nice cameras no doubt
but pricey and I already have m43 glass

With such a unique ability that has still not been duplicated on any other consumer drone, what would you do with it if you had it? Would you give it to the world for free and open use for other companies to market that ability on their own and profit? Would you come up with some sort of licensing on a royalty basis and close out the DIY market?
Interesting times on the drone horizon. So many application could be utilized by having the source code. It is just math that's being done, but at a very high level. Honestly the work of a genius, the da Vinci of drone code. Just like Wang's flight code is that significant and under his sole control.

If it were mine, I'd license the code per the unit. It really is that significant.

So yep, Open Source would be out. I believe ArduPilot and 3DR made a mistake severing their relationship. Not my call and I understand both sides, but a mistake none the less. The biz of drones, is a biz, Anderson said the hardware can be made by anybody, but the code is everything. That's why he created DroneCode...

Just my thoughts...

wish drone code was growing
but IOS is dead on arrival, and very little now happening in the android version
ROS looks to be the next big thing in drone software.
another casualty of the 3DR ardu split
I keep hoping there will be détente and the two will kiss and make up, but it don't look likely
too many egos

I haven't had an overheating issue on my a6300. I know it has a history that it can, but you have to remember that we are not shooting in a studio. We have a great deal of airflow around the camera in our application on drones.
tell me about your gimbal?

Nice write up. Love where you are going with this. My idea on a gimbal is to take the existing gimbal electronics and transplant into a homemade gimbal. Only problem I see would be tuning the PIDs

tell me about your gimbal?
Home built from CF tubes. Using Storm32 with an IMU on bird and camera in the hot shoe. Storm32 since it supports mavlink and is pretty much plug-n-play with Arducopter. Tilt controlled through ch6 like others are doing. Lots of documentation and videos on using the Storm with PH...

ETA,,@pyrate ; I had typed this response right after you posted it... But I just found out I never hit 'Post.:mad:. Sorry about that...

Reactions: pyrate
Wow... Very cool! Sounds like you've had her in the air more times and for longer? And you're estimating 30-40 minutes, what is the actual longest flight? Can't wait to see more flying - must be absolutely nerve wracking! I bought a few solo's when they were giving them away with the idea of using them for some kind of custom/experimental mod. Are you going to post the build-out specs/info:)?

Home built from CF tubes. Using Storm32 with an IMU on bird and camera in the hot shoe. Storm32 since it supports mavlink and is pretty much plug-n-play with Arducopter. Tilt controlled through ch6 like others are doing. Lots of documentation and videos on using the Storm with PH...

ETA,,@pyrate ; I had typed this response right after you posted it... But I just found out I never hit 'Post.:mad:. Sorry about that...
No worries, I just figured it was super secrete level x decoder stuff

Reactions: Jubalr
I flew a short test today with 24x5.5 CF props. It was windy and I didn't like them at all. Very sluggish response. If you compare this video to the one on the first page, you can see quite a difference in blade RPM and noise. The 24s are very quiet, but since they are turning so slow, they should be. Definitely preferred the 21x7 CF in the first video. It was windy here so I flew in manual the whole time as I don't like GPS when testing.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: RichWest and pyrate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000