Solo Grande..A DIY Build from Solo..

Grande has been coming along nicely. Making little adjustments here and there. But it's flying well enough now that I had confidence in mounting the Sony a6300 to the gimbal. Below is a raw clip right from the camera, no post. Feedback welcome..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wow thats nice. What lens are you using? I'm running the 16mm pancake lens on my nex5... lightest combination I could find
We are currently running the 16-50 compact lens. This was shot full wide

Have you tested this with the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tested this with the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera?

No, don't have one. But this build is not camera specific. It would certainly carry it fine and would just need the HDMI out for live feed.

No, don't have one. But this build is not camera specific. It would certainly carry it fine and would just need the HDMI out for live feed.

Which luckily it has. Thanks for the input and looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Jublar are you running a hardwire on the HDMI cable?
that is one of my concerns going to the GX85 how do you cable it without disturbing the gimbal

Jublar are you running a hardwire on the HDMI cable?
that is one of my concerns going to the GX85 how do you cable it without disturbing the gimbal
Hey Pyrate,
There are 2 cables going to the camera, an HDMI and the on board IMU that fits in the hot shoe. Both are small and flexible with enough slack that they do not interfere with the gimbal operation.
Is that what you were referring to?

Reactions: pyrate
Very nice:) If you can crack the gimbal moves to function like Solo there won't be much to compare.

I was thinking, can't you just modify the gimbal to take heavier cameras, like you did with the drone?

We tried that. Taking the board and motors to drive a larger gimbal. But with the gimbal control code not public, we couldn't adjust the power to the motors. It appears it could handle it, but we didn't have access to that part of the control.

Nice build.

So to get really basic, did you cannibalize a Solo so that you'd be able to use their software and hopefully get the built in functions like Smart Shots?

Nice build.

So to get really basic, did you cannibalize a Solo so that you'd be able to use their software and hopefully get the built in functions like Smart Shots?
Yes. Knowing that eventually the secret sauce will be revealed and will be able to use our larger cameras/gimbals with smart shots. It will fly a smart shot now like Solo does, but the tilt is manual.

Reactions: Ed Beck
Yes. Knowing that eventually the secret sauce will be revealed and will be able to use our larger cameras/gimbals with smart shots. It will fly a smart shot now like Solo does, but the tilt is manual.
And that's also the reason for a quad? The Solo circuitry and programming is for a quad and could not handle anything else.

And that's also the reason for a quad? The Solo circuitry and programming is for a quad and could not handle anything else.
Correct. Made it for a much easier build to use the existing layout of the Solo PH2.

I have a related question on using bigger cameras: What is the interface to say, a Lumix or BMPCC? Are there any current controller products that can control exposure settings and trigger rec start/stop via USB? Seems like it's proprietary for each manufacturer.

I have a related question on using bigger cameras: What is the interface to say, a Lumix or BMPCC? Are there any current controller products that can control exposure settings and trigger rec start/stop via USB? Seems like it's proprietary for each manufacturer.
Depending on the camera, there are interfaces that can be used for remote trigger/ zooming etc. Here is what they look like..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc