Solo GPS revA on SP racing F3 flight controller

Reaction score
I have a revA gps laying around that I replaced with a newer board on my solo. I am wondering what the process would be or if its even possible to use the revA gps module on a SP racing F3 flight controller or any other flight controller for that matter. I have a custom quad that would benefit from GPS.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Reactions: Coastwise
Should be fine if you can get a different termination on the one end (JST-SH?) other than the ClikMate connector. Or, make a harness and solder it in place.

Reactions: bmackinnon2
Is the ClikMate connector proprietary to 3DR. If so I should be able to solder a new harness up my self. Do you think I will need to change any firmware on the GPS Module?

Not proprietary, no, but I personally don't know of any other drones/equipment that uses it other than the Solo.

Need, no, but I personally updated my RevA units to the latest firmware available from U-Blox.

Reactions: bmackinnon2
Okay I shall solder up a connector and harness. How would I go about updating the firmware on the revA? Is there an article that you know of that outlines this process? Thank you.

Okay I shall solder up a connector and harness. How would I go about updating the firmware on the revA? Is there an article that you know of that outlines this process? Thank you.
Connector/harness need to go to an FTDI or similar. I used real FTDI-chipped boards with my harness.

There's some documentation scattered around the Ardupilot boards as well as the U-Blox boards. Basically, dig through their support section, get the latest U-Center software, get the latest firmware file for your GPS chipset, get U-center to connect to the GPS board (has to be direct to the GPS board, not through the Solo), and follow the update procedure documented in U-Blox's support documents for the U-Center tool.

Thanks. For the FTDI I assume this is what you are talking about and would this work ? Geekcreit® FT232RL FTDI USB To TTL Serial Converter Adapter Module For Arduino

Also I am looking at my revA board right now and to the left of the clik-mate connector there are open pads that say Gnd,Tx,Rx,+5V, 3v3... I am having a hard time getting a cheap clik-mate connector to make the harness. Could I just solder 4 wires to those pads on the first 4 i mentioned and use those connected to the plug of my choosing?

Last edited:
Thanks. For the FTDI I assume this is what you are talking about and would this work ? Geekcreit® FT232RL FTDI USB To TTL Serial Converter Adapter Module For Arduino

Also I am looking at my revA board right now and to the left of the clik-mate connector there are open pads that say Gnd,Tx,Rx,+5V, 3v3... I am having a hard time getting a cheap clik-mate connector to make the harness. Could I just solder 4 wires to those pads on the first 4 i mentioned and use those connected to the plug of my choosing?
Yeah, provided that card has a REAL FTDI chip (I hear people grumble that some of the knock-off chips aren't stable and can introduce Tx/Rx errors).

You could solder to the pad, or you could make a harness that terminates in male DuPont connectors, which should fit nicely without too much fuss.

Reactions: Coastwise

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso