SOLO follow me mode. issues questions

Reaction score
im having problems with my solo follow mode. my controller keeps loosing connection. anyone else having these issues?

also does anyone know if SOLO needs to follow the remote, or can I have it follow a certain object?

Everything needs to stay in WiFi range of the Controller..

The GPS device and the Solo need to be in WiFi communications with the Controller.

I believe the follow functions works in conjunction with the mobile phone

so you can set the controller down, and be mobile with your phone and the SOLO will follow your phone instead of the controller?

I have noticed that it really goes crazy when I use 'Follow Me' and it did lose connection but regained fairly quickly. Although, I honestly haven't played with the feature enough to know if it is a problem.

so you can set the controller down, and be mobile with your phone and the SOLO will follow your phone instead of the controller?

I believe that is the case at least with pixhawk 1 I don't know with the 2

Hi do not use follow me mode until they fix the GPS glitch and connection losses. There are erratic jerking movements that have something to do with it trying to position itself with wifi and GPS. If you take the phone and walk away from the controller the connection will be lost and then the app will usually crash. The drone will stop in it tracks and then once you reconnect the app to solo the drone will start following you really close to the point it could hit you. Any attempts to use the controller to move it away will cause unwanted results like the drone doing a 180 spin around your position and crashing into anything that wasn't in your original path. We have seen this with five solo drones so far. Three which have actually crashed to their death already.
It's never recommended by 3DR to leave the controller unattended. Someone should always be near it just in case there's a failure which will likely happen.
I have not had time to post the last follow me crash video but I can tell you the drone almost ripped my arm off trying to hang on to it after the crash. Everything goes haywire after the glitch happens. We become liable if the drone takes off and hurts someone so grabbing it while it's upside down destroying its motor pods is the only option.

I tried to test follow me, with controller in hand and phone in pocket, I'd give it a C at best. My only experience with trying this is with solo, not really impressed. If you change direction, seems solo does not have intelligence to turn around. It will go backwards, re: copter following you but not camera. From what I've seen, no way lives up to the hype, BUT, oh yeah, wait for the gimbal. That will fix every everything, almost forgot.

Question: i haven't tried " follow me mode " yet..but hopping to do so tomorrow! I'm using an iPad mini 2 with my controller ! Do I need Sellier data for "Follow Me" to work?

Mobile device, but "the two must stay within 500 feet", per the manual. I lost connection with about 150 separation

The Solo follows the mobile device (iPhone/Android). However, the mobile device must be within wifi range of the controller. So basically you have to keep the phone and the controller together.

This is a major weakness of the Solo. It's really a step back from how things work on the Iris+. With an Iris, you connect a Mavlink antenna to the phone. The phone transmits its location, speed, and heading directly to the drone and the Controller doesn't need to be part of the loop.

That means on an Iris+, you can hand the phone to a skier, snow boarder, biker and send them on their way while you keep the controller in hand, allowing you to take back control if anything goes wrong.

I've heard UNOFFICIAL rumors that 3DR is working on a solution for this, but it might only be doable with Android devices. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Also keep in mind that it takes a little experience to master Follow Me. It's a bit of an art. You need to tweak things like the length of the leash. Also, it seems to work best the faster you are moving. It's great for most action sports, but it has a tough time extrapolating your heading and speed when your just walking around - especially with the phone swinging around in your hand (because your heading changes rapidly with each swing of your arm and that all gets reported to the drone). Be patient and play with it and I think most of you will find it works quite well. One more tip, if your leash is set to 20 meters, you generally need to move at least that far before it really kicks in.

Reactions: Smokealotapotamus
Hello folks....

I posted a similar thread...

Here is my scenario... I would love to do a follow me out of my boat while I am going up the river.
My concern here is this... If I lost connectivity with remote solo will return to home and land am I correct on this. I surely don't want it trying to land in the water.

What other mean can I go about to prevent that. Maybe go into advance settings??
I guess what I am looking for if I loose connectivity it would be nice to have it just hover there until I can regain connectivity and regain control of solo again.

Any thoughts or advice on this??? Please!!

Hello folks....

Here is my scenario... I would love to do a follow me out of my boat while I am going up the river.
My concern here is this... If I lost connectivity with remote solo will return to home and land am I correct on this. I surely don't want it trying to land in the water.

What other mean can I go about to prevent that. Maybe go into advance settings??
I guess what I am looking for if I loose connectivity it would be nice to have it just hover there until I can regain connectivity and regain control of solo again.

In a rush here, but short answer is that you need to disable the geofence and set the RTL on loss of connection to hover or disable all together. This involves using Mission Planner, APM, or Tower to change parameters.

It also means you need to pay attention and be ready to take back control.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Hello folks....

If you can get connection back before it lands you can hit "pause" to cancel RTH. It will just hover in place until you tell it to do something. Hope you have a fast boat and a spotter.

Reactions: michaelr
I hear a few things about tower. Where is a good tutorial on learning tower and start utilizing it capabilities

As we all know. It takes a little bit to re-establish connection and it only when it almost back to on rth. From what I have expienced so far.

As we all know. It takes a little bit to re-establish connection and it only when it almost back to on rth. From what I have expienced so far.
I lost connection tonight and Solo was RTHing. Controller said lost connection but I hit the pause button and it stopped the RTH. Not sure when it reconnected but the controller did not indicate it had. Will have to test it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks