Solex for Solo

$30 is a very good price as solex is updated very regularly with fantastic improvements over the stock solo app.

Kelly listens and updates as required.

In my opinion it is worth every $

Keep flying safe everyone:)
And considering people have plopped down anywhere from $300 to $1500 for the Solo, what's $30 in the grand scheme of things? I love the app and I haven't even used all of its functions yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I bought Solex maybe a month or so ago but have not yet gotten a full flight with it. When I was first trying it (I use it on a 2013 Nexus 7) I kept having responsiveness issues, bad enough that I have to consciously keep myself from using the word "lockup". I'd start the flight, I'd see the video, and I'd touch the screen to do something. Generally that first "touch" would be OK but then it would crawl after that.

For all of these flights I'd abort Solex (with the Solo in the air) and startup the Solo app which would run fine.

As there have been one or two updates and I refreshed Solex last night and made another attempt today (I have also in the meantime unloaded a lot of apps from the Nexus 7, esp. as it is only a 16G model). Today it was different: Solex comes up and keeps announcing that it is connected to the Solo. The "Connect" button says on the screen as if it is not connected and sure enough it again announces that it is connected. Hitting the fly button is a no-go as it never thinks it is connected.

So once again I aborted Solex, started the Solo app., and flew off.

I've seen mentions in other threads (particularly those recommending the NVidia Shield tablet) that the later Nexus 7 model (which is what I am using) is working for some. I'd really hate to have to buy another tablet. Any suggestions about getting this to work?

Reactions: Greg Parker
Solex testing report v1.3.2

Here are some issues I encountered with this version yesterday. Looking pretty good overall.

Weather: Nice. Gentle breeze
Number of batteries used: 5
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7 inch (2016 version)
Android 5.1.1
Solex 1.3.2
Solo modded with mrobotics M8N
Go Pro Hero Silver 4

Can't Play this Video
When opening the opening screen, I will get a popup that says "Can't Play This Video", and when you click OK, it pops up again, over and over. This happened mulitiple times during flight today, and basically locks you out of the program. Sometimes, killing the program and relaunching gets you back in, sometimes it just starts up again. I imagine this is related to the opening video for the app.

GoPro Connectivity
When going back to the video screen from the opening screen, the GoPro would sometimes no longer be connected. It would either be a gray button, or a red button that was non-responsive. Restarting the tablet and relaunching Solex would not fix the issue. Restarting the tablet and launching the Solo app would bring back control. This happened twice.

Follow Me Optical
First time trying this out. Drew the green rectangle, but the start button was always grayed out.

Follow Me (GPS)
This would disconnect the vehicle every time I tried to start it. When the vehicle reconnected, it was in Fly Mode and the Follow Me was cancelled. Switched to Solo app with the bird in the air, and Follow worked like a charm.

I've seen mentions in other threads (particularly those recommending the NVidia Shield tablet) that the later Nexus 7 model (which is what I am using) is working for some. I'd really hate to have to buy another tablet. Any suggestions about getting this to work?

I want to really like Solex, the cost is not an issue; it is a great value when working. I too have issues using a Nexus 7 2013.

No mater what I do maps never show up when I actually get to flying location. I can get them to load and visit them at home (even visited them all several times) but even at home my home location most often doesn't load a map either spontaneously or by going to my locations. Find My Vehicle works and Google Maps and Earth work so I know it is not a GPS issue. Stumped for now on getting Maps to work consistently.

I'm having issues with connectivity too. Before I chime in I want to search this thread. Is there a way to do that? All I can find is the global forum search.

Thanks,
Dan

I think I answered my own question. it doesn't look like you can do that in xenforo which is this boards architecture. poonoggins...weak sauce.

Last edited:
I'm having issues with connectivity too. Before I chime in I want to search this thread. Is there a way to do that? All I can find is the global forum search.

Thanks,
Dan

I think I answered my own question. it doesn't look like you can do that in xenforo which is this boards architecture. poonoggins...weak sauce.
Search is the magnifying glass at the top right of ea page

Before I chime in I want to search this thread. Is there a way to do that?
Click the magnifying glass (it turns into a small gear), click the gear, put in your search phrase, click "Search this thread only" and off you go....;)

Today's Solex observations:

Recording - If I started the GP before powering on the Solo the recording circle was Red each time.

No Fly Me There when trying to get back to the start of a CC. It used to work well, where did it go?

The speed sliders for CC and Orbit are not consistent in UI. CC slider to the right results in slower flight speed, Orbit slider to the right = faster speed.

CC slider did not seem to do much at the far right of it's range. Might if speed set to fast, I was half way on speed.

Time length of CC shown does not change after moving slider.

Orbit accuracy seems to be less than when using the Solo app.

Pause button on controller would not pause CC had to use the Fly button.

No "Done" screen prompt to end CC, had to use Back button.

These results are from a currently updated Solo. A new Solex installation on a Nexus 7 (2013).

Lately I have spent more time trying to understand Solex and it's inconsistent operation for me than actually using it seamlessly for filming. I have gone through more than a dozen batteries with mixed results. I may be gaining on it but it sure seemed more consistent for ME back several versions ago.

Solex can control the Solo's LEDs. Any way it could be made to control the popular Polar Pro LEDs that connect via the expansion bay? Pretty sure their colors are locked in by the LEDs they are made with, but perhaps they could be made to blink or breathe?

This is a question for Kelly (Solex designer / programmer). First off, Kudos! Great App. I really like the HUD feature.

I'd like to know if you have ever considered (or is it possible) to assign Autonomous (Auto) flight to "A" button and "Resume" to the "B" button within Solex?

I've been a substantial user of Droidplanner and Tower Apps utilizing the Autonomous Flight Control features. To me, Droidplanner was/is pretty powerful in grabbing parameters and setting-up survey / autonomous flights (coming from the Pixhawk FC world). Tower (being similar to DP) includes a video inset feature that allows the user to watch both the Flight Plan and Video, even though the inset video is a little small. So what I used to do was initiate my survey flight in either DP or Tower (by starting the flight, getting Solo in the air), then disconnect the App to switch over to the Solo App (because it had a larger video display of real-time video from the GP). I could always exit out of the Auto Flight mode by pressing "Fly", if needed.

What would be REALLY nice is to assign "AUTO" and "RESUME" to the A & B buttons once a mission is fully uploaded to the Solo (from DP or Tower), and fly completely from the Solex app. Thoughts? Is it possible?

What would be REALLY nice is to assign "AUTO" and "RESUME" to the A & B buttons once a mission is fully uploaded to the Solo (from DP or Tower), and fly completely from the Solex app. Thoughts? Is it possible?

That would be AWESOME! Having to juggle multiple apps to access all possible flight modes is cumbersome and just an all around PITA. Even if you have to create/upload missions in Tower/Mission Planner/etc, it'd still be so much more efficient to use a single app to launch Solo, ensure everything is good to proceed, and then switch into Auto mode.

That would be AWESOME! Having to juggle multiple apps to access all possible flight modes is cumbersome and just an all around PITA. Even if you have to create/upload missions in Tower/Mission Planner/etc, it'd still be so much more efficient to use a single app to launch Solo, ensure everything is good to proceed, and then switch into Auto mode.
Yes, this was a feature I really wish was in the Solo app more than a year ago. Toggling between DP / Tower not a problem pre-flight, but yes, PITA afterwards. I guess MPCC is the closest we might get...

Hi folks, I believe that the autonomous flight option is on Kelly's radar (and soon). He's already taken the first step by adding the map display, therefore be patient and your "dreams" will soon come the [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found a workflow that allows me to fly with Solex a good bit of the time on my 2013 Nexus 7. Turn on controller, turn on solo, connect tablet wifi, open solex, verify that wifi is connected and Solex will not find vehicle, open Solo app (do not force close Solex), go fly. Three times so far doing this has resulted in Solo app force closing in the first 5 minutes of flight at which time Solex can be maximized and seems to operate just fine. This remains true through battery exchanges for the rest of the session. Not ideal but it's allowing me to exercise Solex and I do like it so far.

Dan

I have found a workflow that allows me to fly with Solex a good bit of the time on my 2013 Nexus 7. Turn on controller, turn on solo, connect tablet wifi, open solex, verify that wifi is connected and Solex will not find vehicle, open Solo app (do not force close Solex), go fly. Three times so far doing this has resulted in Solo app force closing in the first 5 minutes of flight at which time Solex can be maximized and seems to operate just fine. This remains true through battery exchanges for the rest of the session. Not ideal but it's allowing me to exercise Solex and I do like it so far.

Dan
I have not had problems with connecting my Nexus 7 2013 starting a different way.

No matter what app I am using I always start the Solo before the controller or app. This allows the Solo to boot and start acquiring satellites. Right after that I start the controller. Only when those two are connected can any app access the established Wifi link. It doesn't seem to matter exactly when I fire up Solex it can be before or after that link is made. Solex then connects just fine.

To get the record button to be red it does seem that powering on the GP before powering on the Solo results in more consistency, so far 100% red.

I finally got Solex to work with my Nexus 7, it required a factory reset on the tablet. Other than the minimum loaded by Google I have Solo, Tower, and Solex on the N7.

I notice that Solex and Tower cannot connect to the Solo simultaneously whereas Solo and Tower can.

To that end I'm adding my vote for being able to initiate missions from within Solex. Having named missions that could be recalled within Solex would be killer.

Reactions: Deleted member 7413
On a side note/wish list, would there be a consideration of bringing alot of the tower app functions over into Solex? I love the ability to pre program shot sequences which does get close to cable cam performance(But you cannot pre program cable cam)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig