Shooting Still Pics

Reaction score
On my GoPro 4 Silver, do I need to be in video + photo mode, to shoot still pictures when using the Solo controller?

Thank you

Until there is full integration, yes. I have mine set to video +photo 5 seconds.
Actually... There is an easy way if you want the perfect shot. Just shoot video. When you pull it in and convert the file in GoPro Studio, you can then select the perfect frame and export a picture under File > Export > Still Image. Give it a name and desired size and viola! Saves a lot of space on the camera, and you can always get the best shot.

Reactions: dwinters
Actually... There is an easy way if you want the perfect shot. Just shoot video. When you pull it in and convert the file in GoPro Studio, you can then select the perfect frame and export a picture under File > Export > Still Image. Give it a name and desired size and viola! Saves a lot of space on the camera, and you can always get the best shot.
I Agree with you Earl.. That's the way I do it..!! The perfect shot everytime ..:)

Reactions: Earldgrayjr

Great Idea. Thanks again!

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Doing the method above will not get you a 12MP photo if that is what you are after. If you're looking to get a photo from the full sensor and still have livefeed to frame your shot, just use single photo mode. You can use the Record button in the app or click in on the gimbal tilt button to take the photo. Just make sure to turn off your "auto power off" feature on the gopro.

Doing the method above will not get you a 12MP photo.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the case. If you are shooting 4K W (like I do) I believe it uses the entire 12 MP sensor. At least that is what I was told. Source?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the case. If you are shooting 4K W (like I do) I believe it uses the entire 12 MP sensor. At least that is what I was told. Source?
Just basing this off the gopro specs. A photo will take a 4,000 x 3,000 (12MP) resolution photo. 4K video is 3840 x 2160 resolution or just over 8MP. Don't hold me to it, but I think there is even further data loss when exporting (rendering) a single frame from the video. I'm probably being overly pixel conscious but just thought I would comment on the math. That is why I don't use the photo+video mode because it's essentially screen grabbing from the video in the camera.

Just basing this off the gopro specs. A photo will take a 4,000 x 3,000 (12MP) resolution photo. 4K video is 3840 x 2160 resolution or just over 8MP. Don't hold me to it, but I think there is even further data loss when exporting (rendering) a single frame from the video. I'm probably being overly pixel conscious but just thought I would comment on the math. That is why I don't use the photo+video mode because it's essentially screen grabbing from the video in the camera.
Sounds like a Call to GoPro :) They were the ones that showed it to me.

I always wondered the same thing... Is a Photo taken, while shooting video, of the same quality, as one that is taken in Photo mode? I don't think so. I am also wondering if a Photo pulled from a video is as good, as a single Photo taken? I would say it depends. I remember reading that some professional photographers, when doing fashion shoots and what not, sometimes use RED cameras to film the shoot, and then export the images they like.

Anyhow, I am not an expert on this. just my 2 cents.

Thanks.

Frame grabs from video (even 4k) has less pixels than photos taken in photo mode. Only photo mode 12MP uses the full resolution of the gopro.

That being said, the quality of a frame grab saved as a jpg is going to be slightly degraded because jpg is a lossy format, but it's so small that you won't be able to see unless the picture will be blown up.

I think frame grabs are the best compromise until full gopro control is available. Then we'll be able take advantage of continuous, burst, and time lapse.

Frame grabs from video (even 4k) has less pixels than photos taken in photo mode. Only photo mode 12MP uses the full resolution of the gopro.

That being said, the quality of a frame grab saved as a jpg is going to be slightly degraded because jpg is a lossy format, but it's so small that you won't be able to see unless the picture will be blown up.

I think frame grabs are the best compromise until full gopro control is available. Then we'll be able take advantage of continuous, burst, and time lapse.
Both ways save jpg so have compression, but there is an open question about resolution/pixels. It is a good question, and "might be" up to 20% difference if true, but we will see.

Hero4 Black Picture Resolutions
photo mode 12MP wide: 4000x3000
vid+photo 1080 wide: 3840x2160 8.3MP
vid+photo 1440 wide: 4000x3000 12MP
video mode 2k frame grab: 2704x1520 4.1MP
video mode 4k frame grab: 3840x2160 8.3MP

vid+photo maxes out the video out at 1440 24 and disables protune which makes the mode unusable in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sampson

vid+photo maxes out the video out at 1080 30 and disables protune which makes the mode unusable in my opinion.
This is something I always wanted to know...thanks for the great info!

vid+photo maxes out the video out at 1080 30 and disables protune which makes the mode unusable in my opinion.
I think it is curious that the vid+photo mode is 3840x2160 resolution. The hero 4 black maxes out at 1440p in vid+photo. If what you are saying about the 1080 mode is true, then I woUld assume the 1440 vid+photo mode would capture a 12mp photo being that it is 4:3. From personal experience though I have not had good results in this mode. It actually looked worse than a 720p frame grab...could have been my light levels, but all in all photo+video has not worked well for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44