Searching for GPS... forever

sounds stupid, but it works for me, remove the battery from the controller, for a few seconds then connect it again, and start normally again.

For the first 3 times I've taken Solo out for a test flight its flown amazingly. Been taking it to a very open park with no trees or buildings near. Been getting 6-8 satellites on average. However the 4th time I brought it out it sat there "Searching for GPS" for about 45 minutes, resetting both controller, solo, and app every 10 minutes or so. (Yes the app and everything is up to date.) Eventually it gave me the "Hold FLY to start motors" and it worked. Today I took it out again and for an hour it just stayed searching until I eventually gave up. Tried restarting everything (in different orders) every 10 minutes or so but still nothing. tried again for another hour at a different location and same protocol. I've been reading online about some GPS bugs but haven't noticed many people with the same issue. Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. Thanks, and safe flying!
Dear Ben. Man I hope you are still there. I have solo 3dr #s112a6b00740. Not new. Got it off Craigslist. Never tested it. 1st time with it. No nothing at all. Sr. Who can follow instructions. Fully charged. Same message searching GPs. Just saw on display. Calibrating sensors. Back to GPs. Please is there a chance we can talk. 9177449626

Dear Ben. Man I hope you are still there. I have solo 3dr #s112a6b00740. Not new. Got it off Craigslist. Never tested it. 1st time with it. No nothing at all. Sr. Who can follow instructions. Fully charged. Same message searching GPs. Just saw on display. Calibrating sensors. Back to GPs. Please is there a chance we can talk. 9177449626
Quick tip for the old Rev. A GPS. If your Solo has the copper foil shield, clean the goop from any corner of the shield with alcohol - then solder a 1" wire (like 28 guage) from the foil to ground on the GPS board. This made a huge difference in acquire time and lock up.
Better yet, if so inclined, do the U-Blox M8N upgrade as described by The Mad Hacker -

3DR Solo GPS/GNSS NEO M8N upgrade​

Fairly straight forward, but well worth the effort.

Another similar mod is here:

if one isn't into DIY hacking. Can't go wrong with a GPS update...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl