Return Question

Yup...
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-3-crack-repairs.47568/

That and further up the arm. Always at the screws....

No flaming, but given I am a photography flyer rather than a speed flyer, and that I have two cracks (one in each rear arm) after 30 flights, and that my screws were factory tight, my guess is that this will happen to everyone at some point.

The official fix (that doesn't void warranty) is to send to China. At that point they will replace shell and determine if it is your fault.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have to wonder if it was a torque at factory issue. Don't know. I don't have cracks in mine yet. But the last 400 miles I put on my Vision + did.

What happened to the California repair center?

Yup...

No flaming, but given I am a photography flyer rather than a speed flyer, and that I have two cracks (one in each rear arm) after 30 flights, and that my screws were factory tight, my guess is that this will happen to everyone at some point.

The official fix (that doesn't void warranty) is to send to China. At that point they will replace shell and determine if it is your fault.
Is the P3 shell much different than the P2 shell? Are replacement shells for the P3 available yet?

That's what scared me away from the P3 --- stress cracks due to the construction.

Honestly, at this point -- if the P3 LOOKED substantially different than the Solo, and had a more robust shape -- I might even consider jumping ship.
But I guess I have to hold on for another month for this thing.
Already turning down jobs, going to miss shooting my Family wedding with the gimbal.

I already bought my GPC case, and an extra battery from BB -- so returning would be a mission in itself. I want them to give us another battery or discount, or something for this absurd wait.
Tell me about it.... I have 3 birds, none of which I can use. I am left to borrow units to get work done, or delay at this point... I have SERIOUSLY considered adding a temporary gimbal to a Solo. So far it has been borrowing, but that is a tough sell...

I will say, that I sent in my Solo, and it was back in less than two weeks. I am looking at a total of 8 weeks for the P3P. That is a pretty big difference. 3DR didn't charge me (nor should they have) and I am hoping DJI doesn't, but you really never know...
I have to wonder if it was a torque at factory issue. Don't know. I don't have cracks in mine yet. But the last 400 miles I put on my Vision + did.

What happened to the California repair center?
Still there, but they wanted this sent to China. It might be that they want to look, or something about the complete shell repleacement. In general I seem to be seeing more things come and go direct to/from China these days, but that is anecdotal, not official.

Last edited:
Apparently something has changed with shipping cost. I am surprised that 3DR is shipping things 1 at a time out of China. In the old days that would have cost a fortune!

Well one thing Solo has DJI beat hands down is the durability of their shell. Along with support.

Apparently something has changed with shipping cost. I am surprised that 3DR is shipping things 1 at a time out of China. In the old days that would have cost a fortune!

Well one thing Solo has DJI beat hands down is the durability of their shell. Along with support.
Agreed. I still say that the open source parts are an unsung hereo here also.

You have seen me complain here, but the more I think about it, the bigger deal the open source is.... This is a bit like the verry beginnings of PC vs Mac, PC vs Linux, or IOS vs Android

In my experience, The best technology is the one that survives (anybody remember OS2?) and the technology that survives best is the one that is most widespread. Many can (and will) argue (as an example) that the iPhone is best in class, but it is early yet, and if you look, they are acually loosing as a whole to Android...

http://static1.businessinsider.com/...04384fab-1200-924/smartphoneosmarketshare.png

Why? IOS/Apple was first in each category with a good product, but is the classsic closed and tightly controlled system. Android is close to the opposite. You get IOS devices that all do mostly the same things from one manufacturer, You get Android devices in diffeent shapes and forms, that do different things, from many different manufacturers..

3DR is like Google/Andoid and DJI is like Applie/IOS (although the anaolgy completely flops when it comes to customer service) :)

That means that 3DR is actually in a safer position as a business, as they sell more different things to different people, don't rely on one or two products, AND they are aslo in a better position for growth, as they have a growing army of developers constantly updating things, and broadening their reach.... That may not be very evident now as DJI is the 800 lb Gorilla but it is amplified as time goes on... and 3DR "guts" go into many things...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(recognize the interface?)

And that is good for the entire community.

So... Just like Windows/Mac/Linux/Blackberry/IOS/Andoid/etc... I will own them all, and sometimes the scenes play out slowly, but I have seen this movie before... and I know how it ends. I therefore know where to invest.

Last edited:
Earl, I agree with the analogy. 200%

However as you know in a technology world things move fast. The Hardware in the Solo as cool and expandable as it is only has a certain life cycle. I am sure you agree with that.

I am speculating that because of 3DRs growing pains they are not going to get the Solo refined to the level I desire in that life cycle.

I do believe they are a fantastic company with the best support you can get and the best intentions. I just don't think they are able to build the quad that Colin sold me on in the immediate future.

DJI sucks. There is nothing I like about the company. But at this point I would rather buy two Phantoms and fly one away while all this is shaking out.

But 3DR has earned some respect with me. So that might bring me back in the future.

Understood. Disagree on the decisions :) But I understand. Let me explain...

I made a jump from mainframes to PC's early on (yahh I am old). The technology has changed, but the choice was a good one. Sames goes for Ethernet/IP, Android, etc. etc The devices change, but the technology lives on, and done well, it overlaps from one "thing" to the next....

I only recently stopped recycling cards, drives, RAM, etc. between PC's, and that is only because they are so cheap, it hardly warrants opening them up anymore.

The flight computer in the Solo could be used for something else with different sensors, outputs, charcteristics, etc. etc. today. Not so for DJI. That limits me, and the solutions I can provide.

As an example, I am seriously considering getting a Tarot gimbal for the Solo. People have apready done it and made it work. That kind of thing just isn't possible with the P3. Another example is the camera. I have Pro so have the best camera. But New hiigher res, more capable cameras will come out in 6 months...

Remember just a year or two ago when 480 was "standard" 720 was "high end", and 1080 was "wild resolution"? I do...4k is there now... In a short time it will be the new 720, then the new 480.

The truth is, I have no choice but to keep up and be ready, and If I think of Solo as a camera platform (like a Ronin) rather than a closed system, it is an easy choice for me...

You and I have similar experience but just don't agree on the technology change. But that is fine I respect your decision as well and wish you the best of luck.

I might be back when things come around next year. 3DR is standup people for sure. Like I said, just a little overwhelmed.

Cheers !

Yup...

when i ordered my p3p i asked the owner to take the p3p out of the box and look real close at the screws at the motots for cracks in the shell.
he said he would do it.

Could the tablet or for that matter solo even affect my video on my sd card though is what I wonder since there really shouldn't be anything ran into gopro just out of it at this point right? Ill at least find out which is the problem soon enough though and go from there.

Problem in testing is its only at lower light and not every time a reset of gopro helps but it comes back after a bit. Tried low light on and off hopefully I'll know more tomorrow.
I am having the same issues. Please let me know of the results of your troubleshooting tests via IM please.

I have been try to get my money back from Solo direct for over two weeks now. I have tried following the direction using the phone option and I get put on hold forever and then get a recording to send an email to the support address. I have sent two emails now asking for an RMA to get my money back and I have not received a response to my emails. This is starting to be a joke! I purchased this to fly and have flown it about 5 times till for some unknown reason it had a GPS glitch and crashed. They did send me new blades for it but sent the wrong ones so I haven't been able to fly for about a month. I want refunded!!!!

I have been try to get my money back from Solo direct for over two weeks now. I have tried following the direction using the phone option and I get put on hold forever and then get a recording to send an email to the support address. I have sent two emails now asking for an RMA to get my money back and I have not received a response to my emails. This is starting to be a joke! I purchased this to fly and have flown it about 5 times till for some unknown reason it had a GPS glitch and crashed. They did send me new blades for it but sent the wrong ones so I haven't been able to fly for about a month. I want refunded!!!!

Leave a reply on one of the post on 3DR's facebook page. I'm still waiting on my RMA and on Thursday they told me I would receive the email yesterday and then when yesterday came they said today.

My next step is to place another call to their support and explain I want the RMA after I get off the phone. If not my next step is to some of my Facebook Ad Spend, create a newsfeed ad and then target people that work for 3DR and those that like 3DR.

I find it interesting that you haven't decided to participate in the entire month that you've been a member, other than to complain.

I find it interesting that you haven't decided to participate in the entire month that you've been a member, other than to complain.

Call it complaint? I call it an experience to show the challenges that I am currently having. That other may have guidance in ways to resolve this current challenge.

If you would like me to complain, I can put a whole list together. But my goal is to get the unit in the air so that I can honestly have an opinion on the Solo.

Exactly.
I get put on hold forever.

Having dealt with 3DR support pretty extensively, and very recently, I would also point out that right or wrong the 3DR support line hangs up on you after 20 minutes, so waiting "forever" must be 20 minutes or less....

Overstate much?? Hmmmmm...

Last edited:
I would also point out that right or wrong the 3DR support line hangs up on you after 20 minutes, so waiting "forever" must be 20 minutes or less....

True statement !

Like the Best Buy review where the guy waited on hold for an hour. We all know that did NOT happen.

cracks around the screws that hold the motors on?
It was quite common on the Phantom 2's. I have been checking mine after flying. Now the P3's as well?
I have read they aren't as easy to open up as the P2 because the shell is snap-locked together.
A friend of mine replaced his Vision + shell due to cracks and could not find the GPS shielding which he tore in the process.

I personally think the P3 cracking is a factory assembly issue. Its a little different than the P2s. My V+ had cracks but never caused issues. I saw guys replace the shell and get cracks again. I just left mine.

DJI needs to build out of the same stuff the Solo uses. Way more durable.

Have to wonder if ESC/motor heat take a toll after a while.

Yup that's what I think got mine my whole p2 seems to be getting brittle, pieces cracking like tabs surrounding motors in the arms beside the screw threads. I hope your right and p3 is different if this same things is happening already p3 is going to be falling to pieces in no time. I've not even held one but seems like they had to go cheaper on plastic than 2 cause it took quite a while before it started cracking. Hopefully competition will force them to improve the quality of these kind of parts, they are putting high dollar stuff inside like light bridge but is it forcing them to cheap out on this stuff to make price points.

I hope both these companies are learning from each other cause seems they are both doing certain things right and others not so much, put em together and we'd have one he// of a bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M