Questions for those that own both a Solo and either a P3 or P4?

Reaction score
If you were buying today which would be your first choice? I am looking to purchase a new quad. I have been flying a Pixhawk powered AD1 for a year and a half using MP and Tower and own a GP H4B.

It seems that the Solo still requires a number of mods to get rid of micro vibrations and to increase range and improve GPS. Is the added expense and effort worth it compared to the issue one faces with either of the DJI craft.

I have read just about every post from both camps and it still seems to be a close call on a mixed bag.

Thanks

I've got a solo and P3P and my choice is Solo.
I don't need to fly miles away I bought it for video and photos all of which I can easily take within 1000 feet.
If you take your time installing the gimbal,( I removed the top plate when I installed mine) you get great video.
Buy a set of alpha antennas off Amazon and I get more range than I need or can see.

Reactions: The Soloist
if you wander into an NFZ, DJI will take over your bird, lock you out of controlling it and land wherever that happens at (over water, into a volcano, over children). i don't want any company taking control over something i purchased regardless of the reason. so for that reason alone i would never purchase DJI.

that being said aside from speculation, hate from the other side, etc solo is an excellent quad copter. if you have a gopro its a no brainer. if you don't, then the phantom starts to look appealing based on price. the smart shots that the solo has can't be recreated on a phantom contrary to popular belief. and multipoint cable cam is the single most feature that i think makes it better than the phantom, inspire, yuneec, etc. and 3dr regardless of which office is open in which city has the best customer support no question.

Some of my solo footage requires stabilization, some none at all.
I can tell you, if you are going to do anything serious with video on any moving platform. Esp one flying in air currents. You are going to have to learn the fine art of stabilizing in post.
I have hand held gimbals and I have worked with cranes and dollies
I stabilize a LOT

By the way, they stabilize video shot from helecopters

Reactions: DattaGroover
I can tell you, if you are going to do anything serious with video on any moving platform. Esp one flying in air currents. You are going to have to learn the fine art of stabilizing in post.
I stabilize a LOT

I stabilize a LOT

Just got a year subscription to Pemier Pro, in the cloud (not sure I like this new trend of subscription software, but that is another discussion) Anyway What is the workflow for stabilization? What plugin do I need to use/get??

A comment on the post by franknitty69. If you happen to fly in a NFZ, and DJI does take over your controls and lands without regard to where it is landing, who is responsible for any damage or worse still, any injuries? The pilot, or DJI?

I going to think DJI will pass the buck to the pilot and claim they should have known where they were. The pilot in charge (PIC) should always have full control of the craft. Something like software that has no idea if the craft has permission to be there should never assume full control, ever! Assuming a control link is still established back to the PIC.

I have had a SOLO since it launched. I just bought the P4 and have done about a dozen flights. This is a bit of a tricky question because, I hate to say this......;.IT DEPENDS. There is no one answer or right answer because all of our needs are different. I will give you my thoughts on the major differences. BTW, the main reason I bought the P4 was crash anxiety.

Here are some things I prefer about the Solo

1. Much better looking bird
  2. flies more stable in wind because it is larger and heavier
  3. US made and better customer service
  4. I love the Tower app and mission planning
  5. I love some of the smart shots including cable cam, selfie and orbit

Here is why I prefer the P4

1. I love the Collision avoidance, works very well. In most situations the P$ will stop or hover around obstacle in front of it that I may have missed FPV.
  2. The Active track is nice because I do not have to carry the controller or anything around with me or give it to the person I am following. I can lock onto any random moving object and follow it.
  3. Integrated camera means I do not have to remove the camera each time I want to grab my video footage
  4. The P4 get GPS lock fast, very fast. By the time I have turned everything on and am ready to fly, the bird has GPS lock every time, no more waiting around. (Solo only uses US satellites)
  5. I can hand launch from my boat. I could not get a lock on the Solo when trying to launch from my boat (Lots of discussion here about that)
  6. I can have full control of camera, video, shots etc right from controller without taking hands off the fly sticks)
  7. The whole package (in the Styrofoam carrying case) is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the solo. A much smaller package.
  8. The blades are push-on push-off.
  9. The overall set-up time is about 5 minutes while the Solo is closer to 10-15
  10. With the downward facing sonar, I can now fly indoors (have done is several times). I would never fly the Solo indoors
  11. Much better archive of flight history
  12. A working flight sim
  13. Because the monitor is wired directly to the controller, the video image is clear and quick. No lag.
I hope this helps

Reactions: AKPhantom
I have had a SOLO since it launched. I just bought the P4 and have done about a dozen flights. This is a bit of a tricky question because, I hate to say this......;.IT DEPENDS. There is no one answer or right answer because all of our needs are different. I will give you my thoughts on the major differences. BTW, the main reason I bought the P4 was crash anxiety.

1. I love the Collision avoidance, works very well. In most situations the P$ will stop or hover around obstacle in front of it that I may have missed FPV.
  2. The Active track is nice because I do not have to carry the controller or anything around with me or give it to the person I am following. I can lock onto any random moving object and follow it.
  3. Integrated camera means I do not have to remove the camera each time I want to grab my video footage
  4. The P4 get GPS lock fast, very fast. By the time I have turned everything on and am ready to fly, the bird has GPS lock every time, no more waiting around. (Solo only uses US satellites)
  5. I can hand launch from my boat. I could not get a lock on the Solo when trying to launch from my boat (Lots of discussion here about that)
  6. I can have full control of camera, video, shots etc right from controller without taking hands off the fly sticks)
  7. The whole package (in the Styrofoam carrying case) is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the solo. A much smaller package.
  10. With the downward facing sonar, I can now fly indoors (have done is several times). I would never fly the Solo indoors
  12. A working flight sim
  13. Because the monitor is wired directly to the controller, the video image is clear and quick. No lag.
I hope this helps

Just when I about convince myself to get a Solo the next time there is a sale, you remind of the advantages of the P4. I also really like Tower and MP; some of the third party apps get the P4 close, but still no MPCC. I imagine I could be happy with either but lean towards the Solo, 3DR and Arducopter.

12. A working flight sim
I hope this helps
I'm not sure some of your points are accurate at all. It takes you 10 - 15 minutes to prep Solo? For heavens sake, why?
Push-on blades? Didn't know that - and I am instinctively averse to the idea, maybe needlessly.
Size is a personal preference. I like Solo's size.
The integrated camera, though more accessible to the casual/fun flyer isn't even in the same ballpark with a GoPro - carrying drone, with its near infinite lens options and other performance upgrades.
The Solo has a working flight sim.
Have you watched Colin's masterclass seminar? It explains the difference between Solo's "follow me" function compared to other quads. No comparison when all is taken into account.
True, P4 does have good points, and I may eventually grab one to keep my P2 and P3 company. However, I'm not sure, because I don't like the idea of paying a company for a drone that they can and will automatically cause to land.
Whether into the ocean, onto a freeway, over a playground full of kids, doesn't matter.
Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: jibcamera
My front door is exactly at the 5 miles mark. I tried to call air traffic controller to ask for permission to fly. I told them that my house is exactly 5 miles south of the airport (civilian and military). They had no freaking clue and won't tell me Yes or No. I told them that i will be flying under 400ft and I was aware that the take off and landing direction is east/west. There is only one weekend in the year that the planes approach the airport from the north to the airport is the air show.

In about 2 weeks NAB will start and the gloves will come off for one of the hottest matches since last April. DJI and 3DR are going to debut their best ideas for Drone tech.

If I were in the market for a new Drone I'd wait and see what comes out of NAB 2016. Kinda reminds me of a really good Super Bowl match up.

I'm not sure some of your points are accurate at all. It takes you 10 - 15 minutes to prep Solo? For heavens sake, why?
Because it takes so long to get GPS. SOLO only uses GPS while DJI also uses the GLONASS satellites. Here is what wikis says about that " Manufacturers of GPS devices say that adding GLONASS made more satellites available to them, meaning positions can be fixed more quickly and accurately, I get extremely fast satellite fixes on the P4 and as previous stated I can launch from moving platforms. I was not able to launch SOLO from my boat after one of the updates.

Size is a personal preference. I like Solo's size.
All things being equal, why would you want a larger bird? The P4 is much easier to pack and carry around. I know I will have an easier time with the p4 as a carry on.

Have you watched Colin's masterclass seminar?
No, but it sounds like it is worth checking out. While the SOLO may have a great follow me mode, it may be better than DJI's follow me mode, but the Activetrack is a totally different animal. Active track can track a moving object and does not need to have the monitor (cell phone) on the target. It does have limitations but it works great.

Thanks for your comments, well appreciated. BTW I would go back to SOLO in a heartbeat once they have collision avoidance. I bet their next iteration is going to be amazing

i am usually ready to fly in 2-5 minutes. i get gps lock within 1 minute. here's a vid of me getting lock in 30 seconds and this was last summer before the major gps update. and no this wasn't a re-acquisition. this is 5 miles from the previous 3d fix.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

with the current firmware and a battery hotswap, gps re-acq occurs before solo connects back to the controller after a battery swap.

Because it takes so long to get GPS. SOLO only uses GPS while DJI also uses the GLONASS satellites. Here is what wikis says about that " Manufacturers of GPS devices say that adding GLONASS made more satellites available to them, meaning positions can be fixed more quickly and accurately, I get extremely fast satellite fixes on the P4 and as previous stated I can launch from moving platforms. I was not able to launch SOLO from my boat after one of the updates.

All things being equal, why would you want a larger bird? The P4 is much easier to pack and carry around. I know I will have an easier time with the p4 as a carry on.

No, but it sounds like it is worth checking out. While the SOLO may have a great follow me mode, it may be better than DJI's follow me mode, but the Activetrack is a totally different animal. Active track can track a moving object and does not need to have the monitor (cell phone) on the target. It does have limitations but it works great.

Thanks for your comments, well appreciated. BTW I would go back to SOLO in a heartbeat once they have collision avoidance. I bet their next iteration is going to be amazing
Pogo don't you miss Cable Cam with the P4?

My P3 Advance is coming soon. I bought it when DJI cut price to 800$.

Solo got me excited again with drone after Phantom 1....thanks 3DR.
I still have Phantom 2 in the box, un-opened for like 1.5 years or more...LOL. No gimbal no fun.

I am waiting for GoPro Karma. Yuneec H, may be I will buy if report/review is good.

To me all these are fun toys, not any brand preference. The key is to learn more of what are strong and weak points of them different brands and enjoy them.

Even cameras I do the same, I got Canon, Nikon, Panasonic-s , Sony-s, non action cam replaceable lenses and Sony-s & Panasonic big sensors pocket cameras. Action cam I have Sony, GoPro-s and iSaw-s.

What I see is this : Today's drone is cheap for what they can do compared to a mere 2 years ago. So its a blessing and it will get cheaper and cheaper while being more advance. So we need to enjoy them :)

Reactions: Adimuzio513
My P3 Advance is coming soon. I bought it when DJI cut price to 800$.

Solo got me excited again with drone after Phantom 1....thanks 3DR.
I still have Phantom 2 in the box, un-opened for like 1.5 years or more...LOL. No gimbal no fun.

I am waiting for GoPro Karma. Yuneec H, may be I will buy if report/review is good.

To me all these are fun toys, not any brand preference. The key is to learn more of what are strong and weak points of them different brands and enjoy them.

Even cameras I do the same, I got Canon, Nikon, Panasonic-s , Sony-s, non action cam replaceable lenses and Sony-s & Panasonic big sensors pocket cameras. Action cam I have Sony, GoPro-s and iSaw-s.

What I see is this : Today's drone is cheap for what they can do compared to a mere 2 years ago. So its a blessing and it will get cheaper and cheaper while being more advance. So we need to enjoy them :)
you sound like you have no brain but lots of money to waste....:)

Reactions: SPP
Ha ha ha so rude u :) Bruins.

With age come wisdom my man... wisdom to have fun. LOL

12. A working flight sim
I hope this helps

You may *think* the collision avoidance works well; try flying near metal fences, wooden fences/slat fences, trees, bushes, landing near tall weeds, bushes, rocks.
I have both, and did a quick first flight test video (truly, the first time it was ever powered up). It was a bit** to land, due to sage brush in the area.

What I like about the P4; Battery life is better. yes, it's faster to get off the ground, but my Solo isn't 10-15 minutes, either. More like 3-4. P4 has a faster speed capability (in Sport, but I've also never flown Solo in Sport mode). The styrofoam case is nearly destroyed after 2 weeks of flying it nearly each day. I bought a hard case for it; for 200.00, I'm feeling more secure with hard case. Besides, the foam case holds no extra battery, no room for tablet, etc.
P4 has a better graphic interface. The video is no better/worse than Solo. If you're having issues, perhaps it's your tablet?

Personally, I hate the Inspire-like prop locks. Additionally, they prevent third parties from easily making props, and I've found I much prefer APC on my Yuneec and Solos. I've put them on my Inspire 1 (they don't have a prop for the 2) and prefer them there, too.

The P4 is a tad lighter, has slightly better battery life, and is definitely sexier. It doesn't loiter as smoothly, and the image simply sucks tadpoles compared to a Protuned GP image (very noticeable in the side-by-side I shot).

Both are good, both are tools. I have the P4 because I'm expected to, same with the Inspire. But for medium/small projects, the Solo is my go-to, and will remain so. It excites me even more that 3DR is heading more deeply into commercial territory.

Reactions: Jubalr
You may *think* the collision avoidance works well; try flying near metal fences, wooden fences/slat fences, trees, bushes, landing near tall weeds, bushes, rocks.
I have both, and did a quick first flight test video (truly, the first time it was ever powered up). It was a bit** to land, due to sage brush in the area.

What I like about the P4; Battery life is better. yes, it's faster to get off the ground, but my Solo isn't 10-15 minutes, either. More like 3-4. P4 has a faster speed capability (in Sport, but I've also never flown Solo in Sport mode). The styrofoam case is nearly destroyed after 2 weeks of flying it nearly each day. I bought a hard case for it; for 200.00, I'm feeling more secure with hard case. Besides, the foam case holds no extra battery, no room for tablet, etc.
P4 has a better graphic interface. The video is no better/worse than Solo. If you're having issues, perhaps it's your tablet?

Personally, I hate the Inspire-like prop locks. Additionally, they prevent third parties from easily making props, and I've found I much prefer APC on my Yuneec and Solos. I've put them on my Inspire 1 (they don't have a prop for the 2) and prefer them there, too.

The P4 is a tad lighter, has slightly better battery life, and is definitely sexier. It doesn't loiter as smoothly, and the image simply sucks tadpoles compared to a Protuned GP image (very noticeable in the side-by-side I shot).

Both are good, both are tools. I have the P4 because I'm expected to, same with the Inspire. But for medium/small projects, the Solo is my go-to, and will remain so. It excites me even more that 3DR is heading more deeply into commercial territory.
Are either of them capable of flight in a "Drift Mode" making them able to make banked turns with one stick. I really enjoy flying a Pixhawk FC with drift mode, it is a blast at high speed and smooth when slow and filming.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150