For smart-shot "cinematic" video clips, is there really anything a Solo can do that a Phantom can't?

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I've built a couple multi-rotors, using Pixhawk flight controllers (I love their customize-ability). I also own a Phantom 3 Pro, and have a Solo on order from Amazon.

The first thing that attracted me to Solo was the "smart shots"...being able to smoothly and automatically grab "cinematic" video clips.

But I've come to realize that those smart shots are really (duh) all about the software app controlling the Solo (or the Phantom), and there now exists a few apps for the Phantom that seem to duplicate everything the Solo can do...and it also seems like there is more software development for the Phantom that there is for the Solo, due to the Phantom's popularity.

So...

Just wondering, esp if anyone has any direct experience with both platforms, is there really any reason to buy a Solo instead of the Phantom, when, specifically, the focus is on cinematic/smart-shot types of video clips? I realize the cameras are different, but the image quality of the Phantom's camera vs the GoPro (and then needing a new, rectilinear lens for the GoPro), is pretty darn close.

Thanks...

--

Bill

For one, let's say you're Phantom drops out of the sky for any reason other than user error ...

ZdroneZ,

Well...interesting thought...except my Phantom has never done that. :)

(Knock on wood!!!)

I guess you are implying the Phantom has more hardware/software bugs than the Solo? I haven't experienced that...I mean, both the Solo and Phantom are run by computers/apps/etc...I'd give equal chance that on a given day either one of them has the same chance to "drop out of the sky".

But...if you know more about this...please explain.

Thanks...

--

Bill

It's the warranty coverage. Both platforms have the same capabilities and the same chances of mechanical failure, but only one company will provide full replacement. Period.

It's the warranty coverage. Both platforms have the same capabilities and the same chances of mechanical failure, but only one company will provide full replacement. Period.

OK...right...yes, good point. So you are basically saying, that as far as you know, as far as "smart shots" / similar are concerned, that the Phantom and Solo are basically equals?

Thanks...

--

Bill

It's really more about what you want to do? The Solo has many smart shots the Phantom cannot do with DJI's Go app. If your willing to use 3rd party SDK apps with your Phantom similar features are available but not implemented as well as the Solo app IMO.

MPCC, Zipline, Vertical Zipline(what I call unlocking the camera in Zipline), Freelook, Rewind there is just so much Solo offers.

I own Phantom's and a Solo, IMO the Phantom's with SDK are not up to Solo standards yet with smart shots; in fact I think the H has better CCC than the Phantom's.

So does Solo offer more? Yes IMO. Do you need it? Well you need to decide that, the Phantom's are very useful machines if they will do what you want.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Robbi...yep...I see what you mean...I've experienced the same thing with Litchi.

And now I know what "H" is, and "CCC" is cable-cam-something?

I wonder if a better app...like Autoflights's "Autopilot", would do any better? Or maybe it's the API's/SDK's that can't do it?

And I assume you are also saying that the Solo performs the same-ish as the H?

Thanks...

ZdroneZ,

Well...interesting thought...except my Phantom has never done that. :)

(Knock on wood!!!)

I guess you are implying the Phantom has more hardware/software bugs than the Solo? I haven't experienced that...I mean, both the Solo and Phantom are run by computers/apps/etc...I'd give equal chance that on a given day either one of them has the same chance to "drop out of the sky".

But...if you know more about this...please explain.

Thanks...

--

Bill
I been reading that "Stress Cracks" are back... Be careful were you fly that thing!

Robbi...yep...I see what you mean...I've experienced the same thing with Litchi.

And now I know what "H" is, and "CCC" is cable-cam-something?

I wonder if a better app...like Autoflights's "Autopilot", would do any better? Or maybe it's the API's/SDK's that can't do it?

And I assume you are also saying that the Solo performs the same-ish as the H?

Thanks...

CCC - Curved Cable Cam.

Igor88 over at RCG has done some good work with Autopilot, it looks much better than Litchi but not quite as good as Solo.

Solo performs better than the H and the GUI and controls are much more intuitive.

CCC - Curved Cable Cam.

Igor88 over at RCG has done some good work with Autopilot, it looks much better than Litchi but not quite as good as Solo.

Solo performs better than the H and the GUI and controls are much more intuitive.

Robbi,

Thanks for all that...I'm sold.

I been reading that "Stress Cracks" are back... Be careful were you fly that thing!

Thanks Steve,

Yep...I actually had to send mine in for warranty repair...I'm hoping the new shell is actually made differently than the first one....I'll still be careful to look for stress cracks.

Are you saying that you know of circumstances where folks who had their shell replaced are STILL seeing stress cracks?

--

Bill

Thanks Steve,

Yep...I actually had to send mine in for warranty repair...I'm hoping the new shell is actually made differently than the first one....I'll still be careful to look for stress cracks.

Are you saying that you know of circumstances where folks who had their shell replaced are STILL seeing stress cracks?

--

Bill
Not sure, but i did read that in the past DJI P3 & P2 just "patched" the cracks?
Hard to believe, but did read. I also read that the P4 should have less "stress cracks"
One would figure that there design has structural flaws, & would have a new design?
Perhaps, they see the design as a "trade mark" & don't want to give it up?

Well I know my shell was a brand new one...still...I'll keep looking.

Wsalopek,

I am not a season flyer as many are here and I am still trying to get used to the controls of Solo and Phantom 3 + 4 manual way.

One thing which I like about Solo is and I am not yet talking of Smart Shots, I am talking about manual move, is that Solo controls when u set to SNAIL, its damn nice for manual movie shot.

I tried my Phantom4 to be at its slowest setting, its still to agressive/quick if for nice slow filming shots.
You try it, you will like that.

SPP,

Thanks for that. I didn't even know about "snail".

Amazon emailed me today, my Solo is finally on it's way.

I think between what looks like overall better cinematic capability of the Solo vs the Phantom, as well as being about to mount, say, something like a Ricoh GR2 for excellent stills, (while also maintaining an FPV video stream), the Solo will be a keeper.

--

Bill

I've been testing Litchi and Autopilot for the last couple weeks. In terms of performance on smart shots, they are about the same.

I've focused 90% of my efforts on duplicating Cable Cam. Neither Litchi nor Autopilot on a P4 can match Solo.

Solo does a better job with:
- framing
- easing
- smooth yawing
- ease of use

By "framing" I mean that the Solo does a better job hitting its "mark" on each point in the cable cam. For example, if you have a tree in the center of your image at one point on the cable, and say your house in the center on the next point in the cable, the Solo will reliably recreate that framing over and over again. It's not perfect, but it's much much much better. On the P4 (whether using Litchi or Autopilot), I just can't get the same consistency from shot to shot. The P4 really seems to have problems consistently with altitude at each point on the cable, but also the craft will be yawed to a slightly different heading every time. End result, that tree will NOT be center framed in every shot. It's really very frustrating.

By "easing" I mean the way the bird transitions from one point on the cable to the next. Colin may have oversold a lot of features on the Solo, but not this one. The Solo eases in and out of every shot beautifully. There is indeed a nice logarithmic easing going on. In both Litchi and Autopilot the transitions feel very linear... almost robotic.

By "smooth yawing" I mean the way the aircraft rotates itself (and the camera) in the air. There are often noticeable yaw jerks on the P4 in cable cam shots (and in all way point missions, but not so much on orbits). It's worse the faster you run the cable, especially with extreme camera tilts and yaws programmed in. Also it's worse when your connection to the craft is weak - more on that below.

By "ease of use" I'm just referring to how easy it is to access and set up smart shots. After a lot of fiddling and experimentation, I've got Litchi and AutoPilot both configured to duplicate Solo's core functionality. Fly to point A, tilt your gimbal and yaw to frame your shot, click a button on the controller. Fly to point B, and C, etc and do the same. But despite a lot of effort to streamline and simplify things, it's all very cumbersome on a P4. Litchi beats AutoPilot, but neither is as easy, quick and simple as Solo.

Other thoughts:
I'm convinced the biggest difference between the P4 and the Solo is the way Solo's on board computer manages smart shots.

With the P4, Litchi or Autopilot manage the shots. In other words, the Litchi and AutoPilot app monitor the heading, position and gimbal tilt of the P4 throughout the shot and send updated instructions to the bird throughout the shot. This creates an inherent lag in execution - and I speculate this is the cause of the herky-jerky yawing you sometimes get. If your connection weakens or drops out for a moment during a smart shot, everything gets jumpy. On the Solo, the onboard computer does the work that Litchi/Autopilot do. The result is a smoother, more consistent shot.

So for me, the Solo is still the better drone for creating Cable Cams.

A lot of Phantom owners don't really seem to get what they are missing. I hear them question the need for Cable Cam when you can do waypoint missions using Litchi/AutoPilot. But the power and beauty of CableCam is that it allows you to create your "waypoint" mission spontaneously in the air, and get cinematic camera movements.

As we all know, the world looks a lot different from the air than it does on a map. I've done waypoint missions for years now. A CableCam setup in a few minutes in the field is soooo much better than anything I can do in Mission Planner, Tower, Litchi, AutoPilot or anything else I've ever used.

And that last point brings us to the one thing Litchi/AutoPilot have over the Solo app.... Editing. With Litchi or AutoPilot you can go back and edit the points on your cable after the fact. I wish we could do that on Solo.

p.s. AutoPilot's user interface is pretty bad. The developer seems convinced that it's the best UI and that it needs to be laid out the way it is because of it's unique reference point approach, but I don't agree. To me, it's very much a "programmers" user interface. Logical and well organized, but a terrible user experience nonetheless.

Last edited:
The maths involved for the Solo smart shots originate from Edwin Earl Catmull who's contributed much to computer graphics so it's probably no surprise that in practice the splines work so well.

Edwin Catmull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alas Jason that wrote many of the Solo's smart shots has gone to GoPro, which means we'll probably not see any more smart shots (albeit Solo does all it really needs to now), it'll also likely mean GoPro's Karma will be able to copy Solo's functionality.

On the plus side it does mean we have the choice if switching from 3DR to avoid DJI. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela