Preflight update problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been reading all of your posts trying to learn as much as I can. I just purchased this solo and it is my first drone. I had to do a factory reset because i didnt know wifi password, someone must have already bought this drone and returned it. I followed all instructions to the t, I have unis taller the app. The app says everything is updated but the controller is still showing preflight update screen. I am using a Samsung s5. Someone please help me figure this out, 3dr's chat is not working today.

1st pull the battery on the controller
if that does not work
hook it all back up and look at the system settings in the app and see what versions are showing there.

Have you tried pulling the controller battery and trying again? Also maybe try pulling the controller battery and running off DC power while you do the update.

Solo controllers work in mysterious ways but once they get set up they are fairly reliable.

...I had to do a factory reset because i didnt know wifi password, someone must have already bought this drone and returned it. I followed all instructions to the t, I have unis taller the app. The app says everything is updated but the controller is still showing preflight update screen. I am using a Samsung s5...
So... you reset both the Solo and controller according to this procedure?
Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

3DR actually warns against factory rests without them advising you when or why or how or ??? - however, following these instructions is exactly what they'll tell you to do on a chat, so...

Can you simply exchange it at the retailer, for a new one?

BTW, I have a Galaxy S5 phone and the App works just fine with it.

Funny thing is, I jus went to best and exchanged it for brand new solo, I was prompt to do update to new version so I did and then it said update failed. Now I can't get solo app to detect vehicle, I have paired the controller, unistalled apps, and I went ahead and did a factory reset and I did follow there directions to the T. Paired solo to controller again, still no vehicle detected.

About ready to take another 2hr road trip and return this one to best buy as well. I think I will tell best buy if they can sell me a solo that works I will buy it, if not they can keep it. I am beyond frustrated. This thing is a joke!!

At what point do you believe it may be something other than a faulty Solo? Did this latest Solo have the correct/original password? Have you connected the App successfully? It sounds like it. You can throw up your hands and blame 3DR or take your time, explain in total and absolute detail what procedure/sequence you are using, what App version, etc. and we can go from there.

Are you taking your time to go through ALL the initial setup?

Follow this sequence and startup procedure...

If the problem is only a startup-sequence issue, I can tell you my procedure and I have never experienced a problem connecting.
  1. Open the Solo App on your device
  2. Power-on the controller and let it boot up completely until 'waiting for Solo' appears
  3. Power-up Solo - by the time Solo completely boots you should be rid of 'waiting for Solo' on the controller
  4. Connect to the Solo network with your App
The controller contains the wi/fi router for the system, so once the controller has booted, you should see the Solo network on your device anyway. If you don't, there may be other issues.

I use a separate Wi/Fi Analyzer (Wi/Fi Sniffer) to troubleshoot network problems. You can download one at the Play Store.

I am headed back to best buy now. I have been extremely patient when I have went through all of the setup procedures, I have read just about everything available on the web,

I am have been so fortunate dealing with this solo, I just went back the closest best buy, they have no more solos. The closest store with them in stock is in a whole different state, portsmouth N.H. lol, going on a road trip.. I just hope that this best buy won't have a problem with me setting the solo up, ready to fly right in there store.

I am have been so fortunate dealing with this solo, I just went back the closest best buy, they have no more solos. The closest store with them in stock is in a whole different state, portsmouth N.H. lol, going on a road trip.. I just hope that this best buy won't have a problem with me setting the solo up, ready to fly right in there store.
I suppose it's conceivable that you've gotten into a bad manufacturing run... dunno.

Next time through setup, go slow and let each process complete. Just for grins... what version Android OS is on your S5?

Well, I drove all the way to portsmouth N.H. last night, exchanged the new solo for another new one. I asked best buy employees if I could stand right at the counter and set it up, the guy said "sure but I know absolutely nothing about those drones". I did everything the exact same way as I did on the previous solo's by following the directions and staying patient. Finally, everything booted up and connected. So now I finally have a functional solo.

Reactions: aidanlou
I do have to say that 3dr should upgrade there customer support, there should be techs available 7 days a week. I took Friday off of work just to get solo going and they weren't even open on friday, no live chat and no replies to emails.

...I did everything the exact same way as I did on the previous solo's by following the directions and staying patient. Finally, everything booted up and connected. So now I finally have a functional solo.
I wonder if your successes had anything to do with being patient and following procedure to a 'T'. :rolleyes: Dunno...

lots of should have on the solo
lots of can do too
3DR has shifted its focus.

If you are on FB check Philips post on a call for volunteers to rebase solo independently of 3DR
If we ever get solo rebased to master, and people like Kelly keep stepping up, solo will become one of the best community supported drones out there.

Over the weekend on a shoot my 2nd Solo gave me the "PREFLIGHT UPDATE" and I couldn't do anything with it. We had to move the shoot to Monday which didn't work out so well because of construction workers on job site.

I came to this forum and found some info about rebooting the firmware... BUT that info wasn't thourogh enough for me or not complete.

I wrote 3DR and got this response from Gio. I followed his instructions and it worked perfectly. This is a copy and paste of his email.

Hope this helps.

Hello, Steve.

Thank you for contacting 3DR Tech Support.

I'm really sorry to read you're having issues with the Solo.

Please, perform the following:

1- Power off the units and close the Solo app
2- Perform a factory reset to the Solo and controller, make sure the orange light underneath the Solo blinks faster during the reset process.
- Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology
3- Once the units are reset connect to the Sololink but do not open the Solo app
4- Make sure the Orange light underneath the Solo is blinking slowly, if so, please perform the following:
- Please, press the pair button for 1 sec and look at the controller screen for the "detected new Solo" message
Once you see the message "detected new Solo perform the following: Press A, then B and hold both buttons down. Once the Controller vibrates, you can let go. Within 20 seconds, the Controller will show “Solo Paired."
5- Once the Solo and controller are paired, please, confirm the orange light underneath the Solo is solid now
6- Open the Solo app >> settings >> updates >> start the update
7 Once the update process finishes, please, restart the Solo app

Please, leet me know your findings and if you have more questions.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Best regards,

Gio Marin
3DR Technical Support

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny