Predicting Motor POD failures

I called 3dr today. They asked me to send the video. Support is supposed to watch it and determine if it needs replacing, the cs person told me it takes 2hrs but wasn't able to send the video until around 4 (they close at 5) hopefully they will get back to me early tomorrow.

I was told that a replacement motor (if needed) would arrive within 5 business days.

Are these motors easy to replace? Im guessing its plug and play.

Wouldn't me opening up my solo void my warranty? Is opening up necessary?

Last edited:
I called 3dr today. They asked me to send the video. Support is supposed to watch it and determine if it needs replacing, the cs person told me it takes 2hrs but wasn't able to send the video until around 4 (they close at 5) hopefully they will get back to me early tomorrow.

I was told that a replacement motor (if needed) would arrive within 5 business days.

Are these motors easy to replace? Im guessing its plug and play.

Wouldn't me opening up my solo void my warranty? Is opening up necessary?
You can change your own motor pods and it will not void your warranty:)

Here's a video on how to change your Motor pods!

Hope this helps!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
cheers

Reactions: czrlaker
You can change your own motor pods and it will not void your warranty:)

Here's a link on how to change your Motor pods!

Hope this helps!
cheers
Thanks man

Reactions: Del
I had a bad motor pod on my new solo. The motor would barely spin. They told me to take a video and send it in. They sent me a new motor pod within a week. Two months later, they sent me another. My solo flies great. I have never had any problems since then. The pod is easy to take out, as is shown in the video. There is no soldering, like other copters. Great service and a great product. Thanks 3dr.

I think my #1 pod is going to be a problem. Check it out. What do you guy's think?

*Update* They called me today and they said it's ok. They did request for me to send my flight logs just to make sure nothing is wrong. As long as they replace if there is a failure....

*Update* They called me today and they said it's ok. They did request for me to send my flight logs just to make sure nothing is wrong. As long as they replace if there is a failure....
Unfortunately most failures are detected after a crash.:(

Reactions: Del
So all the terrifying motor pod failure stories.... is there a way to test motor pod performance to detect upcoming failures? I have no idea if motors like this exhibit any symptoms prior to failure. I was wondering if fluctuations in power draw might be harbinger of doom?

Well there is one way, however understand I'm not suggesting one runs out and buys one of these.... but it does illustrate that if you think you are hearing something strange your suspicions may be justified!

I tried to post this once before but Tap-Talk crashed on me! Anyway in the FLIR picture you can plainly see that Motor pod number 3 (lower left ) is considerably hotter than the others. This picture was snapped after a low altitude (3 to 4 foot hover on a cool gusty day) and snapped as fast as I could after landing!

I thought I had heard a squeaking noise a couple of times just after take-off; so decided I would get to the bottom of it. The really disappointing thing is this Solo only has approximately 2 to 3 hours of total flight time! WTH is 3DR using cheap crap?
Also I should add that this motor gives no indication by feel that it is binding but I think I will change it just to be safe!:mad:
FLIR0038.jpg Edit: Sorry rotated in post but it stayed in land scape!

I had one on my old Y6 that was getting so hot, the paint was smoking off of it in flight. It was just barely making noises. Anyways, when I land, I always cop a feel of each motor just to see if anything stands out as usually hot. Also, give each one a spin by hand to check for rubbing or dragging before and after flight.

image-png.2376

Reactions: AKPhantom
I just recived somes BOCA GREASE POWER LIGHTNING LUBE and i have been able resurrect the OEM 3DR Bearings
I clean thems using "Boca Clean Touch" then i use my air dust can to force out debris or dirt out of the bearings "don't spin the bearing while clean"
I know the bearings ares seal but there's a small gap between the inner ring i force grease while spining the bearing on boths side
Then i use my vacuum sealer with somes grease on the bottom i place the bearings in he bag with grease on boths sides and i vaccum the bag
After a day i open the bag and clean the excess of grease and re install thems.....BAM!!!!
Better then new no more noise and vibrations so bottom line stay away from 3 in 1 oil lube go for grease instead !this is my 2 Cents advice

Boca Clean Touch CLEAN TOUCH

Boca Grease Power Lightning GREASE POWER LIGHTNING LUBE
PS: i didn't use the Boca Bearing Soak and it did the trick but hey if you want it here's the link BEARING SOAK

Hope it helps you guys !

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and SPP
Awesome info ProStock,
I did not know Boca sell grease too. Their website is not very friendly.... he he he.
Thanks

Reactions: ProStock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44