Pix4DCapture now supports 3DR Solo

so i gave it a try this weekend. the interface is nice. you can fly a grid or free. grid is the equivalent of survey but it doesn't have sidelap, camera settings or hatch angle. you can control grid size, altitude, speed, gimbal angle and overlap. free is you fly manually, and pix4d will automatically take a photo every x meters.

when you create a grid, its easy to resize, rotate or shrink/enlarge. after you upload the mission, preflight checks are run, but for solo, two preflight checks have to be resolved. the first is that you have to take off with the controller. pix4d capture won't auto take off (even though it says that it can). and the second is the gopro file number reference. you need to know the number in the filename of the last photo taken by the gopro. pix4d capture tags each image taken in its logs with the name of the photo. so if this isn't correct, your whole mission is useless (more on that shortly).

once pre flight checks pass, and you are in the air you hold start for 3 seconds and away she goes. moving solo around was as expected, gimbal angle worked, gopro shutter worked. the absence of sidelap was disturbingly obvious though. once the mission is over, pix4d capture will return home, land and disarm.

and here is where the disappointment kicks in. pix4d capture cannot retrieve the images from the gopro and because of that, won't upload the project to the cloud. and unlike dronedeploy which lets you upload to the cloud from the browser, with pix4d capture, you can only upload to the cloud from pix4d mapper. so if you don't have pix4d mapper, you can't do anything with your shiny new mission.

so does it work? yes and no. you absolutely have to make sure that the file number reference is correct. and you also have to have pix4d mapper to upload for cloud processing.

Last edited:
so i gave it a try this weekend. the interface is nice. you can fly a grid or free. grid is the equivalent of survey but it doesn't have sidelap, camera settings or hatch angle. you can control grid size, altitude, speed, gimbal angle and overlap. free is you fly manually, and pix4d will automatically take a photo every x meters.

when you create a grid, its easy to resize, rotate or shrink/enlarge. after you upload the mission, preflight checks are run, but for solo, two preflight checks have to be resolved. the first is that you have to take off with the controller. pix4d capture won't auto take off (even though it says that it can). and the second is the gopro file number reference. you need to know the number in the filename of the last photo taken by the gopro. pix4d capture tags each image taken in its logs with the name of the photo. so if this isn't correct, your whole mission is useless (more than that shortly).

once pre flight checks pass, and you are in the air you hold start for 3 seconds and away she goes. moving solo around was as expected, gimbal angle worked, gopro shutter worked. the absence of sidelap was disturbingly obvious though. once the mission is over, pix4d capture will return home, land and disarm.

and here is where the disappointment kicks in. pix4d capture cannot retrieve the images from the gopro and because of that, won't upload the project to the cloud. and unlike dronedeploy which lets you upload to the cloud from the browser, with pix4d capture, you can only upload to the cloud from pix4d mapper. so if you don't have pix4d mapper, you can't do anything with your shiny new mission.

so does it work? yes and no. you absolutely have to make sure that the file number reference is correct. and you also have to have pix4d mapper to upload for cloud processing.

Thank you for your helpful review. Sucks to hear about the work flow. It's limitations like this where I wish 3DR would figure out a way to remotely enable the GoPro's wifi while disarmed. There are just so many benefits to this single capability alone.

Send an email to 3DR support and request this feature everyone!

Reactions: Yorke
Hi Frank,

Does dronedeploy work with Solo?

Thanks,

John

DroneDeploy doesn't have any app for solo so you can't automate the whole process (fly, capture, geotag, upload, process), but you can fly solo using tower and upload the images to dronedeploy manually. you just have to geotag them first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yorke
I had tried yesterday pix4d capture and the problem for me was it didnt finalize the mission: on the app it keep to tell me that the mission has yet to be flied (but i had)
So no .p4d file was created and i had to geotag manually the photage in mission planner. I will try again this week

ps: pix4d caputer does not create do_digicam event in the mission so you have to use Time offset in MP for the geotag...

Reactions: franknitty69
I had tried yesterday pix4d capture and the problem for me was it didnt finalize the mission: on the app it keep to tell me that the mission has yet to be flied (but i had)
So no .p4d file was created and i had to geotag manually the photage in mission planner. I will try again this week
This was the same issue I had.

Ok tried today: mission was finalized correctly (after land i didnt touch che app for 30 sec). Camera photo cannot be syncronized yet (pix4d will fix it in the next release.)
other problem: in pix4d mapper it will search for a n+1 photo (not a big problem)

Ok tried today: mission was finalized correctly (after land i didnt touch che app for 30 sec). Camera photo cannot be syncronized yet (pix4d will fix it in the next release.)
other problem: in pix4d mapper it will search for a n+1 photo (not a big problem)

It will be interesting to see how they will solve it in the next release. I'm guessing it's going to either allow you to import the images or directly connect to the GoPro over wifi and get the images itself.

Yes, if i had understand well the problem is the solo code: now isn't possible to enable via remote the gopro wifi when the copter is disarmed (i dont know why)

Is the missing sidelap control obvious in the processed mission/mosaic? And does pix4d capture just assume we're all using GoPros on the solo to determine its flight params.

I plan to test it out tomorrow just wondering before I get out there..

Also one other thing, can I just put any random number that I know is higher than the last photo taken to start the photo sequence from capture or do I have to know the exact last photo number?

@franknitty69 Hey buddy, I did the test today and the results came out great. I tried to take your advice about specifying the image name so that the Pix4D capture software can get the sequence right. Nonetheless, I was able to screw that up and ended up having to rename all the pictures to match what was in the project file (pain in the ass)..
So what filename and number am I expected to put in that spot? What is the workflow for this?
1.) Should I erase everything and start with 0001 or
2.) Should I take a random picture with my camera, look back at the filename (GOPR0002) and then type in GOPR0003? I'm just a little confused here if it wants the next picture in the sequence or the name of the last one taken. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

@franknitty69 Hey buddy, I did the test today and the results came out great. I tried to take your advice about specifying the image name so that the Pix4D capture software can get the sequence right. Nonetheless, I was able to screw that up and ended up having to rename all the pictures to match what was in the project file (pain in the ass)..
So what filename and number am I expected to put in that spot? What is the workflow for this?
1.) Should I erase everything and start with 0001 or
2.) Should I take a random picture with my camera, look back at the filename (GOPR0002) and then type in GOPR0003? I'm just a little confused here if it wants the next picture in the sequence or the name of the last one taken. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

even if you format the sd card the numbering isn't reset. so the best way to do it is take a pic and look at the filename.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus