Other cameras

Reaction score
I searched for this but could not find good info. Is there any other cameras that I can make work fully with the 3dr solo?
Don't want to spend so much on a GoPro.

I searched for this but could not find good info. Is there any other cameras that I can make work fully with the 3dr solo?

Hi, I tried a cheapo camera off of Ebay and it didn't work so I had my GitUp Git1 sitting around and plugged it into the HDMI jack and turned it on.
I immediately had a video feed from the quad. Whether the Git2 works or not, I don't know? I will be looking into one of them since it has a motion
gyro sensor built into it. The Solo fixed mount shouldn't be used instead, use the GitUp mounting hardware and the only problem I ran into was the
cable from the Solo which has the 90 degree elbow pointed in the opposite direction on the Solo in comparison to the camera. The camera would
connect to it ok if the jack on the camera was positioned differently. That means the camera has to be mounted upside down but the controls and
the controls on the camera can be easily reached by using the GitUp mount. The camera has a function to invert the video or images right side up
in the menu. A $100.00 camera is a long way from a $400.00 one and can get you started for FPV from the Solo with video.

One of my 3 Solo's has a GitUp 2 mounted. Works fine and is a great Go Pro alternate. Works well in the Gimbal with rubber bands holding and proper gimbal balancing. HDMI connection works fine with GitUp 2 and flipping image 180. Good luck & fun flying

Only GoPro Hero 3+ Black and Hero 4 (Black or Silver) are compatible with the gimbal.
Many (but not all) small action cameras can provide live video feed via HDMI out, but you will have to use the fixed mount.

One of my 3 Solo's has a GitUp 2 mounted. Works fine and is a great Go Pro alternate. Works well in the Gimbal with rubber bands holding and proper gimbal balancing. HDMI connection works fine with GitUp 2 and flipping image 180. Good luck & fun flying

There is a YouTube video where a is using a GoPro knockoff camera with a review of a 3d printed plate but opted out because of the added weight and he
fabricated another backing plate made of cheap foam board. The video is here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's another idea! ;)

I suppose the Git1 and Git2 hasn't changed all that much externally, thanks for your response.

I just got the Solo going with the Git1 + Gimbal without a lot of mods done to get it to mount in the gimbal. The biggest problem was balancing the
camera/gimbal. Apparently the GoPro Hero 4 Black is backend heavy probably because of the battery? The Git1 can be held in place with a
large rubber band and thick cardboard placed behind the camera to keep the camera body away from the Hero connector. A weight has to
be added to the backside of the gimbal to pitch it up to align it. The horizontal axis is ok and centers itself good. The HDMI connector on the
gimbal can be utilized you just don't have any fancy features like the GoPro has which is accessed through the Hero's connector. The biggest
inconvenience is, you have to power the camera on and start it recording before takeoff. I tested the gimbal inside to see if it was tracking
ok and it seemed to work ok. A flight test needs to be done but right now we have 17 mph winds and gusts higher so a flight will have to be
later when the wind is calmed down. This is a good start before getting a GoPro I guess.

I cant seem to get my git1 to record when connected to hdmi on gimbal. you have any issues with ?

Yes Mike, I noticed the camera would only record for a minute or so then turn off the video recording function. I had never had any problems like that on
another quad that I ran video into a 600 mw transmitter. I worked with this problem for hours trying to figure out why the camera would shut off after a few
minutes. The settings and information on them is sparse in the docs and doesn't mention a inactivity setting on it. I then set the function and the
"motion detection" to "ON" and the "G-Sensor" to "High Sensitivity." Some of the settings I came up with and can change:

GitUp Git1 Settings
Menu #1
Video Resolution: 1080x30
Loop Rec: Off
Record Audio: On
Time Lapse: Off
Self Timer Mode: Off
FOV: Narrow Angle
WDR: Off
EV: +0.0
White Balance: Auto
Custom White Balance: Set
Menu Button Function: On
Motion Detection: On
G-Sensor: High Sensitivity

Menu #2
Date&Time Setting:
System Language: English
Image Rotation: Off
Beep: On
OSD Info: On
Screen Auto Sleep: 1 Min On
Auto Power Off: Off
Car Mode Auto: Off
Frequency: 60 hz
TV Mode: NTSC
RF Pairing:
Format:
Default Setting:
Version:

I tested the camera this AM and the camera will chain "mov" files on the SD and will keep the video recording on if it is started and sensing
movement. If the movement stops for a minute or so it shuts the recording off. This is probably a timeout feature to save the battery level.
You want to start the camera recording just before takeoff. The camera will keep recording until you land and no movement is sensed. When you
shutdown the Solo the camera is in a timeout function and then when you go to shutoff the camera it will startup sensing motion. This will chain
another file to the SD memory card. Make sure that you turn on the camera and then start the camera recording which should show a flashing
set of LEDs on the camera. I am assuming the "Screen Auto Sleep: 1 Min On" is just for the OSD and saving battery power.

Reactions: skyhax
Yes Mike, I noticed the camera would only record for a minute or so then turn off the video recording function. I had never had any problems like that on
another quad that I ran video into a 600 mw transmitter. I worked with this problem for hours trying to figure out why the camera would shut off after a few
minutes. The settings and information on them is sparse in the docs and doesn't mention a inactivity setting on it. I then set the function and the
"motion detection" to "ON" and the "G-Sensor" to "High Sensitivity." Some of the settings I came up with and can change:

GitUp Git1 Settings
Menu #1

Menu #2
Date&Time Setting:
RF Pairing:
Format:
Default Setting:
Version:

I tested the camera this AM and the camera will chain "mov" files on the SD and will keep the video recording on if it is started and sensing
movement. If the movement stops for a minute or so it shuts the recording off. This is probably a timeout feature to save the battery level.
You want to start the camera recording just before takeoff. The camera will keep recording until you land and no movement is sensed. When you
shutdown the Solo the camera is in a timeout function and then when you go to shutoff the camera it will startup sensing motion. This will chain
another file to the SD memory card. Make sure that you turn on the camera and then start the camera recording which should show a flashing
set of LEDs on the camera. I am assuming the "Screen Auto Sleep: 1 Min On" is just for the OSD and saving battery power.
Cant seem to find the motion settings on this. I remember seeing it before. But i did a few upgrade on it a little while ago

GitUp Git1 Settings
Menu #1

Menu #2
Date&Time Setting:
RF Pairing:
Format:
Default Setting:
Version:

Cant seem to find the motion settings on this. I remember seeing it before. But i did a few upgrade on it a little while ago

Reactions: EZL
Apparently the GoPro Hero 4 Black is backend heavy probably because of the battery?
======================
I have used 3 different knock-offs and all needed about 3 quarters hot glued to the back of the gimbal. Part of the reason is the gopros sit back-in but the knock-offs hang out over the front a bit since the rear jack acts as a big spacer.

Reactions: EZL
Yes, I used a piece of steel, plus a washer JB welded together and then hot glued to hold both on the backside of the gimbal. That seemed to work
but I figured I would balance the gimbal/camera better and I removed the plastic panel on the left side of the gimbal (facing you) and JB welded a
penny to improve the balance. One fella used lead that was flattened and cut down in a small strip inserted behind the camera on the ribbed section
of the gimba and that might be a good alternative? I never removed the GoPro plastic hold-in for the camera on the left side nor the one behind it. You
can use two layers of carboard to pad the camera out away from the Hero port socket. A square piece of foam shaped to fit inside the camera insert
might be better to move it out away from the Hero ports socket. I didn't want to butcher the gimbal in case I wanted to use a GoPro later on. :)

Mike, getting to that second menu is a real hassle but I know that the selections are in the binfile update since I did a update on my camera which is the
Git1 camera. I don't have a Git2 camera but did try a knockoff $40.00 noname brand and it didn't work, apparently the pinout is different on that camera.

I forgot to tell you, use the hdmi connection on the gimbal not the cable to hooks into a socket on the gimbal inside the Solo. When the camera is shimmed
away from the Hero port connector you can tip the camera left side is out a little and plug the hdmi gimbal connector into the camera. A large rubber band
or velcro strip can hold the camera on the gimbal. The only time you need to remove the camera would be to charge the battery on it.

Reactions: mike.rombough
I forgot to tell you, use the hdmi connection on the gimbal not the cable to hooks into a socket on the gimbal inside the Solo. When the camera is shimmed
away from the Hero port connector you can tip the camera left side is out a little and plug the hdmi gimbal connector into the camera. A large rubber band
or velcro strip can hold the camera on the gimbal. The only time you need to remove the camera would be to charge the battery on it.
I got it figured out I'm just about to go in the house and see that it recorded all the video I was flying around thank you for your help

Your advice worked like a charm. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44