No Camera view in any app. ONLY BLACK Trying once again to solve the mystery

Reaction score
I have Two Solos. Two gimbals (one never flown) and one Gopro Hero 3.
I have thoroughly tested the camera and both of the HDMI cables that connect the gimbal to the mi6 Sololink (or whatever it's called) that is to say I tested them OUTSIDE of the Solo using an independent RCA monitor and an Eachine Goggles2 FPV headset. Each have HDMI input ports. The CAMERA and the 2 HDMI cables are all working perfectly. Not even a flicker.

I reinstalled the HDMI cables inside solo and tried the camera / gimbal combo on both Solos.
Same results on each. Everything works except there is no camera view in the app. Not in Solex, not in Side Pilot, Nor the 3dR Solo app. The gimbal responds, pans up and down, and I can trigger the camera to start and stop filming, change settings and yet still NO LIVE CAMERA VIEW IN ANY APP.

THE VIDEO THAT RECORDS IN THE APP IS BLACK. It's filming for as long as I tell it to but it's nothing but SOLID BLACK .

I also tried connecting the HDMI directly to the camera using the fixed camera mount. Still no picture.

I also tested the HDMI out of the controller to the FPV goggles. Same as the app. Nothing but BLACK.

What is left to trouble shoot? The HDMI port on TWO different SoloLinks? It seems unlikely they would both be bad but stranger things have happened.

I may have a few spare Sololinks from salvaged Solos but how can I ensure integrity? Not only in the video link but in all other vital functions?

I have MISSION PLANNER on a Mac that I'm not exactly savvy with but I can get around on a few operations.

Please if ANYONE CAN SUGGEST WHAT ELSE I CAN DO TO SOLVE THIS NO CAMERA VIEW CONUNDRUM I WILL BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL.

also suggestions on swapping out the soloLink with regard to testing for good operating condition. I guess if it doesn't pass preflight checks or finish start up sequence I can assume it's no good. Is that a big Duh! or a BIG DUH DOH!?

Last edited:
Try a different controller. The controller is what receives and relays the video stream.

Is it possible that the camera could be working fine on its own but for some unknown reason NOT be working in conjuction with the solo. That seems pretty unlikely but never hurts to ask
Unfortunately it is my only camera. Anyone on Kauai want to come over and bring your gopro? Ill buy you a beer. Or we can get numb but not dumb drinking Kava. Only catch is you have to enjoy the taste of dirt. ??

(1) Although the live video feed is black, does your GoPro save the recording correctly on its SD card?

(2) You say that the app lets you start and stop video recording, but you also say that you have a Hero 3. The Solo manual says that remote video start/stop is only possible with a Hero 4. If you have the Hero 3 selected as your camera type in the app, then it should gray out the record button on your app screen. Strange that it doesn't.

Is it possible that the camera could be working fine on its own but for some unknown reason NOT be working in conjuction with the solo. That seems pretty unlikely but never hurts to ask
Unfortunately it is my only camera. Anyone on Kauai want to come over and bring your gopro? Ill buy you a beer. Or we can get numb but not dumb drinking Kava. Only catch is you have to enjoy the taste of dirt. ??

Yes. The serial communication places an extra load on the camera's processor. If you have a craappy MicroSD, a processor with less than optimal cooling, or other reason for the processor to already be near the edge, then adding the connection to Solo can push it over said edge.

I agree with Joe. Please be explicit in what your testing conditions are for the camera.

The camera is the only constant in the issue thus far, hence my continuing suspicion of the camera

Also if the offer still stands I'll be in Kauai in, say, 36 months. ;)

If the camera is recording a black image onto the SD card, and the video coming out of the camera is black, and you're getting black video to the controller and the app, that would tell me that the solo controller and app are all doing exactly what they're supposed to do. The camera is sending out a black image and that's therefore what is being sent to your phone. This sounds like a camera problem to me.

Hello everyone, what is the version of the Hero 3 camera? ... white. silver or black?
What are the camera settings? test with a different resolution, test with 1024 and fps 48

Great input. Everyone. Thank You ALL.
To answer questions;

The SD card in the camera IS recording the video.

The camera is a Hero 3+black RUNNNING vs. 03.00 (though the camera is Silver not Black (strange is there such a thing as a 3+Silver?). FYI This camera worked perfectly well on the Solo In the past.
Settings:
Typically I use 1080 60fps Medium with protune- Off
Low light -off

SD CARD(s) -San Disk Ultra 64GB, & 16GB
(red & gray label)

Yes the camera can be triggered to record from both the controller and the apps. As well as changing exposure, vid/photo, camera type, etc. But no video visible live in the apps (all of them) nor visible out of the HDMI port on the controller (to fpv headset) nor recorded in the apps or in the saved videos /photos on the device. Only place the video shows up is on the SD CARD in the camera.

But an interesting note is that if I select a different camera type-Hero4 or OTHER, I'm then unable to reselect HERO3+ and the controls are grayed out as would be expected. However RESTARTING the solo, the cam comes back online and automatically selects HERO3+Black

Someone mentioned over working the camera. That has definitely occurred as I have found it numerous times to be VERY hot when used in the 3axis Gimbal, but not so in the fixed camera mount nor in other non- Solo uses.

Birds:
Open solo 3.0 on Solo/Controller#1

Ardu Copter on Solo2 with original pxhawk cube modified to green cube specs (madhacker André did the jumper mod under microscope amazing technician. PROPS! )

Bruce- 36 months. Absolutely! Provided I'm still here, Kauai’s still here, and the world as we know it is still here. In that order and not mutually exclusive

Last edited:
I think we have our culprit. The 'very hot' camera when on Solo is a dead giveaway that the camera is the culprit

Reactions: Joe Horn
I have Two Solos. Two gimbals (one never flown) and one Gopro Hero 3.
I have thoroughly tested the camera and both of the HDMI cables that connect the gimbal to the mi6 Sololink (or whatever it's called) that is to say I tested them OUTSIDE of the Solo using an independent RCA monitor and an Eachine Goggles2 FPV headset. Each have HDMI input ports. The CAMERA and the 2 HDMI cables are all working perfectly. Not even a flicker.

I reinstalled the HDMI cables inside solo and tried the camera / gimbal combo on both Solos.
Same results on each. Everything works except there is no camera view in the app. Not in Solex, not in Side Pilot, Nor the 3dR Solo app. The gimbal responds, pans up and down, and I can trigger the camera to start and stop filming, change settings and yet still NO LIVE CAMERA VIEW IN ANY APP.

THE VIDEO THAT RECORDS IN THE APP IS BLACK. It's filming for as long as I tell it to but it's nothing but SOLID BLACK .

I also tried connecting the HDMI directly to the camera using the fixed camera mount. Still no picture.

I also tested the HDMI out of the controller to the FPV goggles. Same as the app. Nothing but BLACK.

What is left to trouble shoot? The HDMI port on TWO different SoloLinks? It seems unlikely they would both be bad but stranger things have happened.

I may have a few spare Sololinks from salvaged Solos but how can I ensure integrity? Not only in the video link but in all other vital functions?

I have MISSION PLANNER on a Mac that I'm not exactly savvy with but I can get around on a few operations.

Please if ANYONE CAN SUGGEST WHAT ELSE I CAN DO TO SOLVE THIS NO CAMERA VIEW CONUNDRUM I WILL BE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL.

also suggestions on swapping out the soloLink with regard to testing for good operating condition. I guess if it doesn't pass preflight checks or finish start up sequence I can assume it's no good. Is that a big Duh! or a BIG DUH DOH!?
I can just tell you what worked for me. After doing exhaustive testing with my GoPro3+ black and not making progress I borrowed a friends GoPro 4 Silver and voila it worked! I would recommend trying that approach as a process of elimination.

I can just tell you what worked for me. After doing exhaustive testing with my GoPro3+ black and not making progress I borrowed a friends GoPro 4 Silver and voila it worked! I would recommend trying that approach as a process of elimination.

Thanks on in the process of procuring a Hero 4. If in not mistaken I need to be cautious of the cameras firmware version right? What's the ideal GoPro version for compatibility, 3.0?

You guys nailed it. Bad camera. Now can someone tell me how to calibrate a wonky gimbal thats got the jitters?

That one is trickier if you're asking about the Solo Gimbal. No guarantees but pleaase describe the jitters or better yet link to a YouTube video of them. Pixel arrangment worth many many mouth sounds

That one is trickier if you're asking about the Solo Gimbal. No guarantees but pleaase describe the jitters or better yet link to a YouTube video of them. Pixel arrangment worth many many mouth sounds

Brand new gimbal.(supposedly- bought from an individual not a retailer) Looks new enough to me. No signs of any use.

Last edited:
If t

Bruce, in the interest of helping others find similar solutions I'm going to move these last couple of posts to a new thread. Please reply there. Hyperactive Gimbal Spasms

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso