Mounting other cameras on 3DR

Reaction score
Has anyone had success doing so? Also what is the weight limit of the 3dr and could you mount a black magic design micro cinema camera on the solo.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I hang a Canon s100 from the fixed mount via a GoPro to screw adapter. This is for survey mapping and results are so much better that GoPro stills.
how do you trigger it? CHDK script? and do you get live feed via hdmi?

Yes, I use the KAP one 3dr use on their mapping planes, works great. I don't get live feed, just watch it go through the mission via tower.

I do the same thing with my S100, I wish there was an HDMI mini to micro cable.

there are other cameras that have been flown such as gopro-type cameras, micasense rededge, canon s100, etc. at nab there was a flir vue with a gimbal.

there is the sony camera+gimbal, but it doesn't look like it wont be sold without a sitescan license.

the payload for solo is 700g. a bmpc is 350g without a lens and without a gimbal.

Reactions: MattySlice
Has anyone had success doing so? Also what is the weight limit of the 3dr and could you mount a black magic design micro cinema camera on the solo.

Thanks in advance
I do vertical mapping using tower survey. My camera is a Ricoh GR, has good resolution. I set it on
automatic intervals of 1 sec to 5 sec before flight, and it continues to take photos till return from mission. It weights 200 grams and is mounted solid facing down on a short piece of alu. angle.

I do vertical mapping using tower survey. My camera is a Ricoh GR, has good resolution. I set it on
automatic intervals of 1 sec to 5 sec before flight, and it continues to take photos till return from mission. It weights 200 grams and is mounted solid facing down on a short piece of alu. angle.
would you please some image from your drone and camera ?
moreover upload some images that take by this camera to check its RES .
thanks

Could someone recommend lightweight camera which are capable of doing RAW photos and has interval shooting (timelapse) option out of the box?

Last edited:
Some of the best, cleanest AP mapping images I've seen Ketch.
Thanks Jim, your comments are encouraging. I had been using cannon (Rebel T3) with my airplane (2000 agl) and was very pleased with it, but of course way to heavy for the drone, so ventured out and got the little Richo GR and am glad it is "passing the test".

Very tempted to look at the Richo GR now. I was holding back to see what the Sony QX1 had to offer. I have a 3dr aero for larger areas and I guess the Richo GR would fit that as well. I'm guessing you are using the 16mp Richo?

Very tempted to look at the Richo GR now. I was holding back to see what the Sony QX1 had to offer. I have a 3dr aero for larger areas and I guess the Richo GR would fit that as well. I'm guessing you are using the 16mp Richo?
Yes, I believe it is the 16mp. Had to do some experimenting to get the settings I needed. I am not the best camera expert, but I guess the photos indicate I have it set about right.

Reactions: Jim.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44