Motor Balance

Reaction score
Is there a method to activate a single motor at a time for balancing?
My props are balanced; I'd like to test the motors as well...
Thanks!

You're welcome. See the motor test menu to turn on one motor at a time.

Reactions: Ginnyann
Motor control under Mission Planner worked perfectly! I connected Android Tower, Apple Solo Ap, and MP @ same time. All worked well.
Using a vibration ap, I only had to balance 3 motors. Noticeable difference noted on Z axis after tune-up.
So much fun I might take the balancing tape off and do it all again!
Thanks.

Motor control under Mission Planner worked perfectly! I connected Android Tower, Apple Solo Ap, and MP @ same time. All worked well.
Using a vibration ap, I only had to balance 3 motors. Noticeable difference noted on Z axis after tune-up.
So much fun I might take the balancing tape off and do it all again!
Thanks.

make a video and share your knowledge. There'll be a plethora of folk who would appreciate the guidance.

there's a bunch... but NONE balancing the solo... That's your USP. ;-)
USP?

Sorry Barry, didn't realize the Solo motors were different.
You can use the above videos for how they apply the tape to find the sweet spot on the motors.

Dl Mission Planner..http://ardupilot.com/downloads/
Dl vibration app Android..https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.vibration&hl=en
Apple Version..https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vibration-analysis/id817385888?mt=8
Remove props!
Run MP, connect to SOLO and go to motor test section.
Secure phone to top of SOLO or the software is sensitive enough to leave on hard surface with Solo.
Pick a motor to start with in MP. Run that motor and note vibration levels. Per the videos, place small piece of tape on motor and rerun to see if better/worse. Rinse/repeat until no longer improving, move to next motor.

Note that the underlined section above is specific to SOLO.

USP?

You can use the above videos for how they apply the tape to find the sweet spot on the motors.

Dl Mission Planner..http://ardupilot.com/downloads/
Dl vibration app Android..https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.vibration&hl=en
Apple Version..https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vibration-analysis/id817385888?mt=8
Remove props!
Secure phone to top of SOLO or the software is sensitive enough to leave on hard surface with Solo.
Pick a motor to start with in MP. Run that motor and note vibration levels. Per the videos, place small piece of tape on motor and rerun to see if better/worse. Rinse/repeat until no longer improving, move to next motor.

:) thank you.

So. Would like to try this. Might have to wait a week until near a windows pc for mission planner. )Osx version does not seem to have motor test. Thought I read another thread talked about using iseismometer on iOS but can't find thread with search.

So do you really put tape on the inside of the plastic shrouds on a solo motor pod? Or is it more like to identify a bad motor/ replace that pod?

...got sidetracked listening to Perseid meteor shower on ham radio...

Forgive me, but I'm completely ignorant of whatever you're talking about here. Were you listening to people talk about shooting stars or listening to some sort of interference caused by meteorites entering the atmosphere?

This just keep getting better and better...was just pondering balancing motor and props a week ago. Thanks to all that knew the answers and provided guidance....

Edit to add: Video I just watched and want to refer to later when Solo is in hand. Long and maybe to involved for most.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And to correct words...

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I'm completely ignorant of whatever you're talking about here. Were you listening to people talk about shooting stars or listening to some sort of interference caused by meteorites entering the atmosphere?
Fyi, hams bounce signals off the meteorite trails through the ionosphere.

USP?

Dl Mission Planner..Downloads | ArduPilot
Dl vibration app Android..Vibration Meter - Android Apps on Google Play
Apple Version..Vibration analysis on the App Store
Remove props!

I finally got Mission Planner and I finally got connected and I finally found the motor test page....
but when I hit the start motor A or any motor, Solo does its normal beeps, goes into the flashing colored light mode as in the video above and does a few more beeps and shuts down. :confused:
or rather goes back into stand by mode.
Any thoughts?
I haven't loaded the firm ware, do I need to do that with the USB? Is there a thread describing how to do that?
Too tired to think anymore tonight. :(

Last edited:
OK wow! I cant believe how much difference there is between each motor? What the hell 3DR?:mad:
What kind of crappy bearings did you use that I have to know pay what $60.00 per corner to replace this crap you made me what months for.o_O And then what I have to rebuild the old ones with new after market bearings to make them good again, who the hell has time for that crap?
I'm not surprised now how many people are and want to return their Solo.
I have already replaced the No. 1 pod. This does not please me at all. First the wait, then the gimbal, vibrations, unbalanced props, unbalanced motors, motor that grab and jitter, GPS that doesn't connect for 5 minutes... Gasp!
Here is a quick video of the motors one at a time.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso