Lost signal, crashed on return home

Reaction score
So question, Am I out of luck or is there a crash warranty when it loses signal and runs square into a building on its way home? Long shot but figured id ask. Im sure the log is inside the controller for what happened. not sure if im more annoyed that I lost the drone or that I lost the gopro...

Attachments

• 15817919_10154683837296251_1918983469_o.jpg
    15817919_10154683837296251_1918983469_o.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 15823742_10154683837831251_979673652_o.jpg
    15823742_10154683837831251_979673652_o.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 15857476_10154683837546251_1242482766_o.jpg
    15857476_10154683837546251_1242482766_o.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 51
im looking to replace the housing, does anyone have a link where to purchase one?

So question, Am I out of luck or is there a crash warranty when it loses signal and runs square into a building on its way home? Long shot but figured id ask. Im sure the log is inside the controller for what happened. not sure if im more annoyed that I lost the drone or that I lost the gopro...
If you were in fly mode and loss of signal initiated a RTH, I think it would depend on why signal was lost. You are correct in that the logs will tell what happened. On the flip side, it could be considered pilot error if the RTH altitude wasn't set to clear all objects in your flying area. I would go ahead and send in a ticket and see what they say. Good luck.

Reactions: SARDG
im looking up how to pull the logs (im new to this thing afterall) do you happen to have a link? im googling it but getting random websites. I was at about 100 feet and it was the only building around, I was looking at a truck that was driving by as it went behind the building. The second it went behind the building which was about 300 feet away it completely lost signal to the controller. about 15 seconds later I heard it slam into the building, it was a grain silo. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when its light out.

I figured out how to pull the logs without an android and on my Windows PC. I'll be in touch with 3dr and have them ready. I assume they have a special program to decode them because they are illegible to me.

If they dont help out with this one I'll likely just get a new one, price of repair vs 299 for a bare unit.. makes more sense to get a new one incase something else is broken. I wish I had video of the impact, had to be a hard one!

im looking up how to pull the logs (im new to this thing afterall) do you happen to have a link? im googling it but getting random websites. I was at about 100 feet and it was the only building around, I was looking at a truck that was driving by as it went behind the building. The second it went behind the building which was about 300 feet away it completely lost signal to the controller. about 15 seconds later I heard it slam into the building, it was a grain silo. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when its light out.
Solo going behind the silo at 300' out is probably why you lost signal, and it sounds like your RTH altitude wasn't set high enough to clear the silo. I am not sure 3DR can help you, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reactions: SARDG and LAK-USA
I figured out how to pull the logs without an android and on my Windows PC. I'll be in touch with 3dr and have them ready. I assume they have a special program to decode them because they are illegible to me.

If they dont help out with this one I'll likely just get a new one, price of repair vs 299 for a bare unit.. makes more sense to get a new one incase something else is broken. I wish I had video of the impact, had to be a hard one!
Either way, please download the manual, if you haven't already. We can't stress the importance enough to become familiar with it. Good luck.

Reactions: LAK-USA

You send the logs from the controller using your mobile device. iOS or Android.
On the 1st screen of the Solo app, there is an icon at the lower right corner labeled "SUPPORT". Click on it and follow the prompts to send your logs directly to 3DR.

Reactions: SARDG and LAK-USA
What you did is operator error that I'm pretty sure is described in the manual, and should be common sense in my opinion. You flew behind an obstruction that blocks the signal. And you did not set an appropriate RTH altitude. The solo did exactly what it's supposed to do.

Reactions: Chuck and SARDG
It should be part of your startup checklist to set the RTH altitude higher than the tallest obstacle in the area you are flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig