Signal Loss during flight..?

Reaction score
So this past Sunday i took my Solo out to the local High school football field/track to fly. i get it started and take off and get it to about 70 feet center it in the middle of the field and hold, go into my settings and decide im going to up the altitude limit from 175ft to 250ft. after getting it set i begin to climb up to the new hight. i pass 175 ft and my phone voices " max altitude reached" but the drone keeps climbing anyway as i hold the stick up, guess the app didn't update itself. 250ft comes around and the controller vibrates to signal that it has reached the max i set. great. i look up and what i thought at 1st was 'crap did i loose signal?' as the drone starts to fly to the left and i look down at my controller and it says signal to drone lost. i look up and the drone is beginning to land and about half way down i get signal again and put it back into fly and take control. i fly for about 12 min and i go back up to the max alt and can fly it normally i fly it about 300-400ft away, as i start to turn the drone to bring it back after i notice its at about 30%, i turn the drone and as i start to move it forward it lost signal and began to come home again. And it didn't occur to me to submit my flight log to 3DR support at the time. so not sure what really happened up there but i know the drone has a much longer range than just that. any thoughts on this? also i might add apon reviewing the GoPro saved files both times when the drone "lost signal" i could hear the drone beep several times.

Could it possibly be the stock Antennas on the controller? and if so what would be a suitable replacement for them?

It should generally be better than that. However if the areas you're flying in has lots of wifi congestion from surrounding dense population, it can effect the range. Try flying in a different location to see if it performs better.

Reactions: jpstudio02
If wifi congestion is the problem, there are aftermarket antenna', such as the FPVLR, which should help.

There are numerous threads about aftermarket antenna'.

Antenna orientation is critical. Remember with these linearly polarized antennas there are two null points aligned along the long axis of the antennas. If you had your controller antennas pointing straight up and the copter was almost directly above you, you probably managed to align the null points of both the controller and quad antennas ( the quad antennas point almost straight down in the legs) which will destroy your range.
That is why the Operators manual recommends the controller antennas point down and out by about 20 deg on each axis. Makes it more difficult to line up those null points on all 4 antennas.
If that happens again, just lift your controller up a couple feet. The change in aspect wrt the antennas usually allows a quick reconnection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
I have the same issue. I fly my drone at the same spot most of the time which is in a field with no wifi interference. I use the stock antennas pointing down and 20 degrees out (as stated in the manual) Previously, I managed to go over 1km away however after going into sport mode, the range decreased dramatically (I'm talking around 10-20m). And every flight since then, the range has only been around 200-300m.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421