IMPORTANT FAA Announcement Today

I sincerely suggest that everyone with a strong opinion, join one of the organizations that I linked in the original post (or others) and voice your opinion there as well. While it may be cathertic to speak your mind here, it really doesn't carry any weight.

I sincerely suggest that everyone with a strong opinion, join one of the organizations that I linked in the original post (or others) and voice your opinion there as well. While it may be cathertic to speak your mind here, it really doesn't carry any weight.
100 percent agree...

This is very interesting..thanks for posting the link Earl!!
Even thoe it's not affecting Canada as of yet..but I'm sure it will!
Del,
Robert Gillespie of Transport Canada will be speaking to this at the same Drone conference at which I'm speaking, November 13, Henry's downtown location. Hope to meet you there!

TC doesn't have this sort of thing on their table just yet, but from the local office "they're watching it very closely."

Reactions: Lamda and Del
A Pixhawk will have a "VIN" and every other flavor out there will too.

No way they can make this happen before Christmas in my opinion.

It would be a tail number vs a VIN, but it also may be that manufacturers are required to register the tail number, and then the tail is assigned to an owner, just as aircraft are currently managed.

Currently, when you purchase an aircraft in the USA, you physically go to the FSDO office (can't download) and pick up FAA Form 8050-1, pay a $5.00 registration fee, and you're good to go.
The N (US registry) or C (Canadian registry) number is assigned at the manufacturing side, and if you want to change it, there is a process, investigation, and a $10.00 fee for the privilege.

It is likely that some facsimile of this system will be put into place. Home builds would be required to register no different than experimental aircraft.

I don't know what to expect they'll do with "bandit" drones, but the EAA is working hard to reduce the pain of bandit aircraft.

It would be a tail number vs a VIN, .

I guess I was not really talking about the visual identifier. I am thinking eventually the controller will have a unique ID like the Mac address on PC hardware. They will do everything they can to discourage builders from circumventing the system. I bet in the next few years that ID will be embedded in the RF signal of all RTF drones.

I guess I was not really talking about the visual identifier. I am thinking eventually the controller will have a unique ID like the Mac address on PC hardware. They will do everything they can to discourage builders from circumventing the system. I bet in the next few years that ID will be embedded in the RF signal of all RTF drones.

You could be right, but I'd wager it's not likely unless the UTM happens (and it may), the FAA cannot force a squawk, which is essentially the same thing. The FAA system simply is not capable of ingesting, displaying, routing, and communicating that data under existing systems, and the budget and willpower to install that system doesn't currently exist.

Sounds logical. I personally think as optimistic as they sounded they wont get anything implemented this year anyway. Work in progress.

Reactions: dirkclod
What is the DOT doing about illegals that drive and cause accidents? Nothing. Thats what I thought. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with expanded govt and money to be made from consumers. Now, with that said, I am a responsible citizen and will do what the law requires. The criminals are the ones that cause all the grief, and the law abiding citizen gets hammered for it.

I'll respond ... Expanded government is required because "criminals" - I prefer to use "stupid people" are incapable of following common sense guidelines. The government sends illegals to jail and imposes heavy fines. Perhaps if we incorporated capital punishment back into the judicial system we would have less "illegals" ... But we're all too soft and lack the stomach to execute someone for their third DUI without a license.

Existing laws do not provide for adequate deterrence measures because the voting public is soft. Try this ... Registered or unregistered - The penalty for flying your drone above 400 feet: 1st offense $5000, 2nd offense $15,000, 3rd offense $100,000 and 1 year probation, 4th offense $250,000 fine and 1 year federal prison. The monies generated from fines can go to educational programs - to help those who are common sense challenge ... specifically those who feel the rules do not apply to them.

Don't think the government is working? Go visit a courtroom in a metropolitan area. I can assure you their are people being fined and jailed. I'm willing to bet if you visit long enough you may see someone fined $10,000 and jailed for being a wiseguy.

The system works and justice is served daily.

Reactions: Burkeam
Local law enforcement (such as myself) will not have jurisdiction regarding any DOT/FAA rules and or requirements. While the intention here is certainly good, it is only to make the public FEEL safer. There will likely be some sort of paperwork in the box that says you MUST register before you can fly. It will then be up to the honor system to comply. Those not wishing to play by the rule and/or fly safely will obviously not comply. This is very much like the early days of CB radios. Each radio came with paperwork requiring you to register with the FCC. most of them went in the trash, and it was up to FCC officers (again, no jurisdiction for local LE) to find and punish.

And of course, this leaves it wide open on the used market as well, with the seller's last words to the buyer being 'Don't forget to register!'.

+1

Couldn't agree more. Yeah...like CBs I'll register my gear. It's the responsible thing to do, and if it reduces drone insurance I'd be happy to do so!

Other items perhaps....well...as CH quoted, "Outta my cold dead hands".

What is the DOT doing about illegals that drive and cause accidents? Nothing. Thats what I thought. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with expanded govt and money to be made from consumers. Now, with that said, I am a responsible citizen and will do what the law requires. The criminals are the ones that cause all the grief, and the law abiding citizen gets hammered for it.
Exactly, well said.

So, it's finally off to the races!
This is how it begins, you know.
"Commonsense" proposals.
"Reasonable" regulations.
Yeah. Right. Think I've heard all that tired nonsense far too many times.
So, let's all just rush out and be first in line to show how reasonable we are, that we have plenty of common sense, and that we are the good guys.
Reasonable, right?
Sure! It would be - if any of it were genuinely well-intentioned.Sadly, I think we all know the answer to that. Ideology (and securing future votes) is behind nearly everything of this nature.
No problem! Just register! Send in a form! What's the harm?
Nothing! No harm!
Until, that is, some genetically-regressed moron decides to land his quad on the tippy-top of the Washington Monument - or maybe the dome of the Capitol building. Then -
Watch the circus unfold! The outrage and hand-wringing from those who now say they "didn't do enough" or that their regulations "didn't go far enough".
Well... they have our names now, right? Hell, we gave them up voluntarily.
It will evolve into an absolute fury of idiocy.
Do you enjoy using Tower or another app to plan flights? Great! So do I!
Except now that we've now formally accepted our drone's status as governable aircraft, we must file a flight plan and get pre-flight clearance. Not to mention insurance. Pay some air-traffic taxes.
Not to mention the inevitable "Sin tax".
This all can and will happen, folks. Just a matter of time.
Well said it's just common sense, the federal government knows UAV companies are raking in billions of dollars a year so you better believe they want some of that cheese, Uncle Sam is the biggest gangster on the block and its funny how they decide to pull this shit off now but didn't care about it 6 years ago when the industry wasn't as big and making as much money. I think the media has given the hobby the worst image possible which by the way are own and bought by the federal government to brain wash grandma in to calling the cops every time she sees a quadcopter hovering near her front porch, thus, creating a false sense of danger throughout the communities, and here we are now being introduced to a new form of taxation and this is just the beginning of what's to come, this hobby just became a whole lot more expensive and a lot more unenjoyable not knowing what's to come, I almost want to hit the eject button and get out just as I recently came in to the hobby before I'm left down a money pit of fees. :(

Last edited:
You could be right, but I'd wager it's not likely unless the UTM happens (and it may), the FAA cannot force a squawk, which is essentially the same thing. The FAA system simply is not capable of ingesting, displaying, routing, and communicating that data under existing systems, and the budget and willpower to install that system doesn't currently exist.
Squaking takes a lot of power

Well said it's just common sense, the federal government knows UAV companies are raking in billions of dollars a year so you better believe they want some of that cheese, Uncle Sam is the biggest gangster on the block and its funny how they decide to pull this shit off now but didn't care about it 6 years ago when the industry wasn't as big and making as much money. I think the media has given the hobby the worst image possible which by the way are own and bought by the federal government to brain wash grandma in to calling the cops every time she sees a quadcopter hovering near her front porch, thus, creating a false sense of danger throughout the communities, and here we are now being introduced to a new form of taxation and this is just the beginning of what's to come, this hobby just became a whole lot more expensive and a lot more unenjoyable not knowing what's to come, I almost want to hit the eject button and get out just as I recently came in to the hobby before I'm left down a money pit of fees. :(
At the same time it's the lack of responsibly and come sense by some people that have pushed this issue to the forefront, 750 reports of drones flying in aircraft space. At least with an N number if one collides with an aircraft they'll know who to hang instead of coming after all of us

The purpose of government is control! There interest in UAVs is monetary! The purpose of the media (mass communication (brainwashing)) is to purport the government's message! Present, past, and future confirms these statements!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than implanting a chip in the operator and drone, track both at all times!

It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than implanting a chip in the operator and drone, track both at all times!
Haha..
Don't doubt for a second there are people who'd like to do that very thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44