IMPORTANT FAA Announcement Today

Reaction score
The FAA is having a press conference today, where they will reportedly announce new UAV regulations that may go into effect as soon as December. This could profoundly effect us all....

The press conference will be streamed live here:

U.A.S. Registration Announcement Livestream

This is a great primer article on the subject.

The Problems with Mandatory Drone Registration – Rupprecht Law,PA
This is very interesting..thanks for posting the link Earl!!
Even thoe it's not affecting Canada as of yet..but I'm sure it will!

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Just finished. Not too bad. It's a baby step, but I just wonder how they're going to ram that through before Christmas. I know they want to...

It appears there will be no affect on a 333 because you have to submit info on the birds you'd be flying for that exemption. It would be in addition, I suppose.

How are they going to ID a drone to investigate it?
Transponders?
This is going to be a BIG deal for everyone.
They can't not force us to get a licences, but the FEDs can force us to register... Need more info!
It shouldn't cost anything to register right?

No - they specifically said an ID and no transponder. Basically a tail number. They also said it was specifically not about licensing.

Reactions: SteveReno
So the presss conference is over.

It appears that all drones in the US will be registered in the near future. The plan is a task force now. Details by mid November. Implementation by mid December. A lot of questions regarding the agressive timeline, but the trajectory is clear.

This rule will also be retroactive, and will have noncompliance penalties. There is some question as to the lower limit of size/weight/capability but I don't think there is any question that the Solo (and others in this class) will apply.

The reasoning is that with registration they will have a way to tie a UAV back to an operator in the case of already illegal activity or an accident. This in turn will increase awareness, and improve responsibility.

I personally agree with this, as it is clear something needs to be done, and this is a reasonable step that isn't overly restrictive, which was the other option...

If you have an opinion, you should voice it through the AMA

Academy of Model Aeronautics

Or one of the UAV specific organizations

Google

Last edited:
I am OK with it too.

I assume that the biggest thing is they will have way to identify UAVs that crash or cause issues.

I am sure we will see a big change in manufacturer technology as well. Probably a digital ID in the WiFi signal is around the corner.

Reactions: dirkclod
I was the first to think this would happen. Christmas coming up UAV's will be a huge sell this year with companies like 3DR and DJI coming out with drones under 3 grand. I think to use our Solos for business uses and as a cinematographer I plan to you need a 333 form but can someone confirm that. Interesting to see if they make us register ours considering I already bought it before the new regulations?

I was the first to think this would happen. Christmas coming up UAV's will be a huge sell this year with companies like 3DR and DJI coming out with drones under 3 grand. I think to use our Solos for business uses and as a cinematographer I plan to you need a 333 form but can someone confirm that. Interesting to see if they make us register ours considering I already bought it before the new regulations?
Yes to the 333 for commercial use (they referred to it in the press conference) and Yes, the registration will be retroactive.

FYI, the original link I pasted for the live stream now also has a recorded version

Interesting to see if they make us register ours considering I already bought it before the new regulations?

They said in the press conference that they plan to make it retroactive with a possible grace period for current owners.

I am positive this will include anyone that puts one in the air regardless of when it was bought.

Reactions: dirkclod
What is the DOT doing about illegals that drive and cause accidents? Nothing. Thats what I thought. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with expanded govt and money to be made from consumers. Now, with that said, I am a responsible citizen and will do what the law requires. The criminals are the ones that cause all the grief, and the law abiding citizen gets hammered for it.

I think it's a good idea but I don't think they're are going to be able to put in place a system that prevents someone from buying a drone until they register it. Plus, many people build their own. I believe what's going to happen is you're going to buy a drone and when you open the box you're going to see an insert that says you're required by DOT to register your drone and here's the URL. From there it's up to you whether you register or not and then the burden is put on our local law enforcement agencies to enforce the rules when there's an incident. And for that matter the only way they are going to be able to identify the drone to match to an operator is if they can actually get there hands on it, which, in most cases will only happen if there is an incident and the drone crashes.
So is it going to prevent someone with malicious intent from getting a drone? Of course not. But is it going to make little Johnny think twice before he sends his drone up into the flight path of a plane? Yes, definitely. But it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how successful they are in rolling it out.
Also, I think once law enforcement is required to respond to "incidents" it's going to open up a can of worms. Your neighbor (someone like nexxypoo) is going to falsely report you for whatever nefarious reason and the police are going to complain they are using up too many resources to respond to unverifiable incidents. Just my two cents...

I agree flabango. This is a monetary campain to instill in the minds of people like (nexxypoo) that everything is ok and they can go back to eating their cheery unicorn cereal, because those drones are no londer allowed to peep in your window.....lol

I think it's a good idea but I don't think they're are going to be able to put in place a system that prevents someone from buying a drone until they register it. Plus, many people build their own. I believe what's going to happen is you're going to buy a drone and when you open the box you're going to see an insert that says you're required by DOT to register your drone and here's the URL. From there it's up to you whether you register or not and then the burden is put on our local law enforcement agencies to enforce the rules when there's an incident. And for that matter the only way they are going to be able to identify the drone to match to an operator is if they can actually get there hands on it, which, in most cases will only happen if there is an incident and the drone crashes.
So is it going to prevent someone with malicious intent from getting a drone? Of course not. But is it going to make little Johnny think twice before he sends his drone up into the flight path of a plane? Yes, definitely. But it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how successful they are in rolling it out.
Also, I think once law enforcement is required to respond to "incidents" it's going to open up a can of worms. Your neighbor (someone like nexxypoo) is going to falsely report you for whatever nefarious reason and the police are going to complain they are using up too many resources to respond to unverifiable incidents. Just my two cents...

Local law enforcement (such as myself) will not have jurisdiction regarding any DOT/FAA rules and or requirements. While the intention here is certainly good, it is only to make the public FEEL safer. There will likely be some sort of paperwork in the box that says you MUST register before you can fly. It will then be up to the honor system to comply. Those not wishing to play by the rule and/or fly safely will obviously not comply. This is very much like the early days of CB radios. Each radio came with paperwork requiring you to register with the FCC. most of them went in the trash, and it was up to FCC officers (again, no jurisdiction for local LE) to find and punish.

And of course, this leaves it wide open on the used market as well, with the seller's last words to the buyer being 'Don't forget to register!'.

A wise registration regulations should allow local/state peace officers and public officials to be able to request UAS registration. In the same context of a car, boat, motor cycle, canoes, trailer, camper. If your in the air you better be registered. Home made or OEM. Hopefully this won't lead to the over regulation, taxation and Fed control conspiracy theory rants.

It will help a few people to think before they fly.

Plus, many people build their own. I believe what's going to happen is you're going to buy a drone and when you open the box you're going to see an insert that says you're required by DOT to register your drone and here's the URL. .

I think it will take a while as well and the registration form inside the box is the logical place to start.

As far as building your own they pretty much require a flight computer to fly and eventually I bet the registration becomes tied to that. A Pixhawk will have a "VIN" and every other flavor out there will too.

Just my guess.

No way they can make this happen before Christmas in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44