IMPORTANT FAA Announcement Today

we won't be getting an increase in our social securety this year.
so what else is new?

Technically there would need to have a fee so everyone else cannot claim/sue/challenge their taxes are subsidizing the UAV industry. It could also help push the politicians out, if trying to cut the spending during the budget show down.
So far my experience is the FAA fees are extremely cheap. I foresee a $5 or $10. Oh wait I see nothing as I can't foresee

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
A wise registration regulations should allow local/state peace officers and public officials to be able to request UAS registration. In the same context of a car, boat, motor cycle, canoes, trailer, camper. If your in the air you better be registered. Home made or OEM. Hopefully this won't lead to the over regulation, taxation and Fed control conspiracy theory rants.

It will help a few people to think before they fly.
And therein lies the difference Cars, boats, motorcycles, canoes, trailer, camper, etc are state, not federally registered.

Reactions: BladeImages
Throughout the conference, they mostly said "UAV" or "UAS" (unmanned aerial vehicle or unmanned aerial system), but they did say the word drone a number of times. Question: will ALL UAV/UASs require registering, i.e. any nitro/electric model aircraft? A 90mm ducted fan F-18 is heavier and goes faster than most quads. I'm sure the AMA will have some input into that question - something to the effect of if it was being flown at a designated field, it would not need it.

Reactions: emulsiondown
And therein lies the difference Cars, boats, motorcycles, canoes, trailer, camper, etc are state, not federally registered.
Oh yea - It's a AIRCRAFT and none of the other are capable of entering the NAS. If one did get one of those fore-mention crafts into the airspace you would surely have several federal agents at your door with a lot more then a request to get it registered. It would be like "buba NO I didn't drop the soap".

Oh yea - It's a AIRCRAFT and none of the other are capable of entering the NAS. If one did get one of those fore-mention crafts into the airspace you would surely have several federal agents at your door with a lot more then a request to get it registered. It would be like "buba NO I didn't drop the soap".
LOL! Yep..

It's not that hard to make your own flight controller today. I think there's gonna be a huge black market for pre-microchipped flight controllers. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a good idea but I don't think they're are going to be able to put in place a system that prevents someone from buying a drone until they register it. Plus, many people build their own. I believe what's going to happen is you're going to buy a drone and when you open the box you're going to see an insert that says you're required by DOT to register your drone and here's the URL. From there it's up to you whether you register or not and then the burden is put on our local law enforcement agencies to enforce the rules when there's an incident. And for that matter the only way they are going to be able to identify the drone to match to an operator is if they can actually get there hands on it, which, in most cases will only happen if there is an incident and the drone crashes.
So is it going to prevent someone with malicious intent from getting a drone? Of course not. But is it going to make little Johnny think twice before he sends his drone up into the flight path of a plane? Yes, definitely. But it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how successful they are in rolling it out.
Also, I think once law enforcement is required to respond to "incidents" it's going to open up a can of worms. Your neighbor (someone like nexxypoo) is going to falsely report you for whatever nefarious reason and the police are going to complain they are using up too many resources to respond to unverifiable incidents. Just my two cents...
scenario #2
Little Johnny has been bad, he's been doing thing's with that drone that is illegal, flying near a airport, flying above 400Ft ECT...

Complaints start coming in, Officer ask, describe the Drone, "well it was white & going fast!"

Johnny get away until it crashes or someone see the tail numbers.

This isn't going to help local law or Fed TF to do too much.
My way thinking
Feds know all this, that's why this is just the start of other things in the pipe line coming down.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
I think it will take a while as well and the registration form inside the box is the logical place to start.

As far as building your own they pretty much require a flight computer to fly and eventually I bet the registration becomes tied to that. A Pixhawk will have a "VIN" and every other flavor out there will too.

Just my guess.

No way they can make this happen before Christmas in my opinion.
I agree on all accounts.

I will add that my bet is long term (much like software) you will have to register it, for it to work, and it also wont work in no fly zones etc. without an exemption (code).

scenario #2
Little Johnny has been bad, he's been doing thing's with that drone that is illegal, flying near a airport, flying above 400Ft ECT...

Complaints start coming in, Officer ask, describe the Drone, "well it was white & going fast!"

Johnny get away until it crashes or someone see the tail numbers.

This isn't going to help local law or Fed TF to do too much.
My way thinking
Feds know all this, that's why this is just the start of other things in the pipe line coming down.
Agreed... Transponders are coming. It is just a matter of when..

Google, Amazon, NASA working on air traffic control for drones | TechRadar

Reactions: SteveReno
The FAA is having a press conference today, where they will reportedly announce new UAV regulations that may go into effect as soon as December. This could profoundly effect us all....

The press conference will be streamed live here:

U.A.S. Registration Announcement Livestream

This is a great primer article on the subject.

The Problems with Mandatory Drone Registration – Rupprecht Law,PA

Have to say I personally have no problem registering my 3DR SOLO I've already applied for an N number through the FAA's site and am also working on my petition for 333 exemption... but by the time I'm done with the petition who knows what the FAA or the DOT will say is required.

I am surprised that NOT ONE reporter asked, just drones? what about model planes and helicopters? how big? what weight? nothing like that. the one interesting question which wasn't answered was how will the FAA enforce both registration and penalties for none registration.

The AMA was there and said its members are fully on board. But as most members fly model planes and helicopters - based on today's press conference I have no idea if they're included or if their status as an RC controller exempts them from this process.

rant begins here...

I can't believe some dad buying his 15yr old any drone for Christmas is going to even think this kind of thing pertains to him. they did make it clear ALL drones - any and all sold no matter where how and to whom - every drone is required to be registered.

as a professional photographer I've never been told I can't expand my business using whatever the latest innovation is... I'm not buying a 12k lb helicopter or a Cessna. I purchased a sophisticated toy with a kick ass camera attached.

also, in my research I found out to operate a drone commercially, called a PIC, I would have to be a pilot / albeit a sports pilot but seriously WTF.

it really deals as if it's just a way to make a ton of cash off of responsible people either having fun or being creative in their job.

I also read through TTs book on the 333 and wow - people are paying lawyers up to 15k to submit their petitions, which still doesn't mean you can fly your own SOLO. I'm 49, lived all around the world and played video games since I was 11. I'm certainly better qualified to fly the SOLO and take photos than the lawyers making a killing from an over zealous FAA. rant over. excuse me.

Pressed for time as usual latley so sorry I only read the first twenty or so posts, but wouldn't it be easy enough instead of the honor system to force this registration like they forced us to update solo out of the box?

The honor system will do next to nothing, because those of us with honor aren't the ones being idiots doing illegal things.

I agree something need be done and I'm sure this will cause plenty of headaches for our already overworked and under payed, if payed at all sometimes here, law enforcement even if they have no jurisdiction. The citizen wanting to complain will likley still call the police to do so and bother them either way, but we have to try and start somewhere so it's kinda a necessary evil I guess until folks have another option of folks locally to report incidents to.

I've got no problem registering or even being licensed eventually, but until they make new birds unusable until they are registered or tracked I doubt it stops much as far as these stories and safety concerns go.

At least their starting it and moving ahead fast, even if that may cause issues in itself. Hopefully things go smooth and we can keep this great hobby and UAVs as a whole flying for years to come. I'm sure some trial and error on both the regulations and the enforcement of them are coming, hopefully sooner rather than later we see the positive effect were hoping for out of all this.

Except airspace is federal.. Not sure state airspace is all that practical.

Does this mean that when you regester your Quad you will get a tag to put on it just like on your car?

Pressed for time as usual latley so sorry I only read the first twenty or so posts, but wouldn't it be easy enough instead of the honor system to force this registration like they forced us to update solo out of the box?

The honor system will do next to nothing, because those of us with honor aren't the ones being idiots doing illegal things.

I agree something need be done and I'm sure this will cause plenty of headaches for our already overworked and under payed, if payed at all sometimes here, law enforcement even if they have no jurisdiction. The citizen wanting to complain will likley still call the police to do so and bother them either way, but we have to try and start somewhere so it's kinda a necessary evil I guess until folks have another option of folks locally to report incidents to.

I've got no problem registering or even being licensed eventually, but until they make new birds unusable until they are registered or tracked I doubt it stops much as far as these stories and safety concerns go.

At least their starting it and moving ahead fast, even if that may cause issues in itself. Hopefully things go smooth and we can keep this great hobby and UAVs as a whole flying for years to come. I'm sure some trial and error on both the regulations and the enforcement of them are coming, hopefully sooner rather than later we see the positive effect were hoping for out of all this.
I agree. I do understand the desire not to be regulated, but as they say, my rights end at your nose, and like it or not UAV's now fly where our RC craft didnt before, there are more of them, and they are in the hands of less skilled pilots.... In some cases peoiple that just don't care, and even some that would like to do harm. Which all brings up new problems

The way I see it, if we don't do something, the first plane that sucks one in (or any one of a dozen other bad things) will ground us all, because the person responsible won't be able to be held accountable, and so they will hold us all accountable, rather than do nothing..

Long term? Like it or not, I think there is a pretty clear trajectory to two way transponders..

Google, Amazon, NASA working on air traffic control for drones | TechRadar

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
Does this mean that when you regester your Quad you will get a tag to put on it just like on your car?

Yes. And it will be the same size and weight as the tag on your car.

I'm sorry, but they have proven over and over again that you can't legislate stupidity. Pass all the laws that you want, they will have no effect.

Interesting I just got into this 'hobby', and all this is going on. Being a former private pilot, I can understand some of the government's reasoning. But as with drug or gun 'control', it will ultimately be non-enforceable, period. No matter the laws, law abiding citizens such as myself will always take the heat, not the perp's.

Cheers

So, it's finally off to the races!
This is how it begins, you know.
"Commonsense" proposals.
"Reasonable" regulations.
Yeah. Right. Think I've heard all that tired nonsense far too many times.
So, let's all just rush out and be first in line to show how reasonable we are, that we have plenty of common sense, and that we are the good guys.
Reasonable, right?
Sure! It would be - if any of it were genuinely well-intentioned.Sadly, I think we all know the answer to that. Ideology (and securing future votes) is behind nearly everything of this nature.
No problem! Just register! Send in a form! What's the harm?
Nothing! No harm!
Until, that is, some genetically-regressed moron decides to land his quad on the tippy-top of the Washington Monument - or maybe the dome of the Capitol building. Then -
Watch the circus unfold! The outrage and hand-wringing from those who now say they "didn't do enough" or that their regulations "didn't go far enough".
Well... they have our names now, right? Hell, we gave them up voluntarily.
It will evolve into an absolute fury of idiocy.
Do you enjoy using Tower or another app to plan flights? Great! So do I!
Except now that we've now formally accepted our drone's status as governable aircraft, we must file a flight plan and get pre-flight clearance. Not to mention insurance. Pay some air-traffic taxes.
Not to mention the inevitable "Sin tax".
This all can and will happen, folks. Just a matter of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44