I done a bit crazy experiment on Solo

I understand what he's saying - that Solo, after it begins to auto-takeoff - can't readily be stopped if needed.
Still... don't do it again!

I've never tried it, but I don't see why the kill switch A+B+PAUSE wouldn't stop it no matter what. I think he just didn't hold the buttons in long enough. Or he couldn't properly press the buttons, because he was too busy trying to hold the Solo down on the ground with the props spinning full power in front of his face. I'm quite sure it would stop the motors if done right.

The auto takeoff is what, one or two seconds total time? It's not a long enough event to stop anyway. The only reason you'd ever need to stop it, is if you've stupidly tried to do an auto takeoff under a hanging cover. In which case, the destruction of the aircraft is probably deserved and necessary.

Reactions: Solo Keith
He he he, no worry guys. I don't want to hurt myself too.
If I continue my test it will be with the safest method.
I may have not pressed the 3 buttons long enough, agree.
Thanks for the advices.

if youd like , I will chase you with a Solo around a field..as a test of course....you could wear a football or hockey uniform/pads/helmet...this will be an awesome test of your logic board

/s

Last edited:
Take off in manual mode. Then you can stop any time you want. There..I save you a visit to the hospital.:D

Reactions: indonesianpilot
Yes, I will do it again as soon as my safety gear all set :) and solving how to remotely turn off battery power, perhaps a push solenoid to the switch will do the trick or I extend battery wire to install a 60amps relay in between.

BTW, Solo logs shows 2 barometer, where are they at ?

Thanks P2P.

CreativeCOW

Check out the blood and gore in that article. It might make you think twice. Why keep the props on? Same result without props.
When you do this again, please do it on Periscope? I'd enjoy having popcorn and a soda.

Reactions: deathsandwich
Pursuant to your personal Darwinian experiment, this was posted a bit ago in the Yuneec forum.

PERSONAL SAFETY

As mentioned, please let us all watch via Periscope or...It would be useful for future training.

Couple points:

Switching to manual mode, unless you pull the throttle stick all the way down, the motors will be commanded to run at half power because of the centering spring on the stick.

You have to hold the a+b+pause for a few seconds for it to kill the motors. In an emergency, most people don't hold them long enough.

Do tests like these with the propellers removed. It's much safer and the results are the same.

No need to call someone names, stupid, etc. Everyone doesn't have a lot of experience nor understand the risks that may be involved.

Good luck with your tests, it's how we learn, just think a bit about safety first.

Couple points:

Switching to manual mode, unless you pull the throttle stick all the way down, the motors will be commanded to run at half power because of the centering spring on the stick.
Actually, that would be Stabilize mode. Starting in manual mode the motors remain at startup speed until you raise the throttle above half. But good tip regardless..
The tip about starting in manual mode was to do away with the experiment completely, since he was trying to determine a way to abort a take off after leaving the ground.

yes good point, I missed it.

I thought I read that he already had the motors spinning, and then tried to enter manual mode. My mistake.

I think I found the answer to what I am seeking.
I found this SOLO Service Manual by accident when I google, but its link is not available in 3DR website.
Google this and you will find it, its 32MB
"Solo_Service_V3a_10_3"

Page 34 wrote :

Automatic Takeoff
Hold Fly again to initiate automatic takeoff. Solo rises to 10 feet and hovers until receiving further control inputs.

So it is 10 feet .. LOL

This Service Manual is very good for me, it explains many many things I wanted to know.

I was looking at cases where Solo flipped during auto landing as report by members here, now I want to focus on that.
So far looking at my own slow and controlled manual landing log, where I land and take off on concrete floor, I see -4 meters read by the barometer during take-off and landing just before actual ascend from floor and when about to touch down to floor.
I suspect it is a vacuum from propeller wash is what the barometer is reading.

To test this theory...LOL...I will use a landing grill like this :

upload_2016-4-1_13-53-8.jpeg

And raise the grill say 1 to 1.5 meters above concrete floor.
And do full power take off MANUAL, with Solo tied down and grille weighted down too.
I want to see if the barometer will read less minus altitude compared to concrete.

Service Manual stated 2 barometer used on Solo

At Pixhawk Flight Management Unit:
- Measurement Specialties MS5611 Barometer
MS5611-01BA03–Pressure Sensors–Altimeter Pressure Sensor Modules–Measurement Specialties

.....and the same Baro unit at Pixhawk Stabilized Internal Measurement Unit

showImage.aspx

This is the minus altitude I speak of :

Vacuum prop wash v1.JPG

Vacuum prop wash v2 - take off.JPG

Vacuum prop wash v3 - landing.JPG

What do you guys think ?

Yes, that is probably why it reads -4 when you initially apply power for takeoff. What are you hoping to accomplish here?? It isn't a problem and it's very common for any mulirotor with the flight controller mounted below the propeller discs.

Jub,

Dang, I can't find it from this menu page :
Support
and then I choose Solo.......
Solo Support | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

Must do search....LOL , I see. I think Webmaster forgot to place Service Manual in Solo's page, only User Manual is there.
You searched for service manual | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

P2P,
I am trying to figure out, does this minus altitude has anything to do with Solo throttling up because the auto pilot "thinks" it is descending too fast during auto-landing and causing a flip ?
If Solo can do auto-landing, it should not ever flip if the floor is even ground, even on concrete.
Solo designed goal is to be operated as least as possible in MANUAL mode, I pity those who flipped their Solo.
Besides, if I let my 12 year old daughter play with it, I want to make sure she can use AUTO as much as possible and be troublefree.
She is already eyeing on my Solo...LOL.

I think I found the answer to what I am seeking.
I found this SOLO Service Manual by accident when I google, but its link is not available in 3DR website.
Google this and you will find it, its 32MB
"Solo_Service_V3a_10_3"

Page 34 wrote :

Automatic Takeoff
Hold Fly again to initiate automatic takeoff. Solo rises to 10 feet and hovers until receiving further control inputs.

So it is 10 feet .. LOL

This Service Manual is very good for me, it explains many many things I wanted to know.

I was looking at cases where Solo flipped during auto landing as report by members here, now I want to focus on that.
So far looking at my own slow and controlled manual landing log, where I land and take off on concrete floor, I see -4 meters read by the barometer during take-off and landing just before actual ascend from floor and when about to touch down to floor.
I suspect it is a vacuum from propeller wash is what the barometer is reading.

To test this theory...LOL...I will use a landing grill like this :

View attachment 2970

And raise the grill say 1 to 1.5 meters above concrete floor.
And do full power take off MANUAL, with Solo tied down and grille weighted down too.
I want to see if the barometer will read less minus altitude compared to concrete.

Service Manual stated 2 barometer used on Solo

At Pixhawk Flight Management Unit:
- Measurement Specialties MS5611 Barometer
MS5611-01BA03–Pressure Sensors–Altimeter Pressure Sensor Modules–Measurement Specialties

.....and the same Baro unit at Pixhawk Stabilized Internal Measurement Unit

showImage.aspx

This is the minus altitude I speak of :

View attachment 2971

View attachment 2972

View attachment 2973

What do you guys think ?
The patient was in v-fib, was shocked, failed to convert and died.

P2P,
I am trying to figure out, does this minus altitude has anything to do with Solo throttling up because the auto pilot "thinks" it is descending too fast during auto-landing and causing a flip ?
If Solo can do auto-landing, it should not ever flip if the floor is even ground, even on concrete.
Solo designed goal is to be operated as least as possible in MANUAL mode, I pity those who flipped their Solo.
Besides, if I let my 12 year old daughter play with it, I want to make sure she can use AUTO as much as possible and be troublefree.
She is already eyeing on my Solo...LOL.

Flipping over on landing or takeoff has nothing to do with altitude. If it just thought it needed to reduce it's rate of descent, it would apply an even increase in thrust. Furthermore, Arducopter has extensive filtering and intelligence to determine what's going on with it's position. It's not just the barometer. It also has the accelerometers, which would clearly indicate no increase in descent rate. It's not that dumb. And even if it was, there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you plan to bring a huge steel mesh with you everywhere and redesign the legs to work with it.

Flipping over is a result of an attempted lateral move, which is unrelated to it's perceived altitude. If it tries to move left/right/forward/back while legs are on the ground, it's going to tip over. That move could be poor hand piloting, wind pushing it, or GPS drifting.

If your children can't handle the most critical phases of flight (landing and taking off), then they shouldn't be handling the controls.

Reactions: SPP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44