I done a bit crazy experiment on Solo

SPP

Reaction score
Just to share... :)

Since I can't fly the solo, me had fun with it.
I set to manual and then try to take off, while I hold the solo down with my hands. I did not even applied 100% power yet..........and then :

....Then I pressed FLY for auto take off, Solo then goes to full power....holy cow the wind force was much stronger than Phantom 1..:D
Still holding solo down with my hand.....

I then pressed MANUAL ( A button programmed as manual )....no response Solo keep pushing max motor speed, I then tried to kill motors with tripple button press ( I think I did correctly pressed all 3 buttons with left hand..ha ha ha ), no response. I then press battery power button...it stopped....but the silver dot props, BOTH, flew out of its thread due to its own kinetic energy ... ha ha ha. Lucky I was wearing my reading glass and both props did not hit my body or face at all. Sudden stop of motors even not jammed stop, will un-wind the silver dot self tightening props, its logical.

I wanted to know "what-if" scenario Solo will behave like in AUTO mode.

Next time I will wear motorbike helmet and thick jacket and do this test again, but I will weight solo down with weight of say 4-6kg. Still too risky my hands being on top of battery bay all the time.

Reactions: Captain Zepher
Standing with your face inches away from 4 high speed spinning blades, holding it down with your hand, randomly pushing buttons on a controller.

I don't like being rude on these forums, but REALLY?? What logical thought process led you to this being a good idea?

I just found a picture of @SPP doing yard work....

safetywoodchipper.jpg

Ha ha ha, I did not know the props can come loose ...LOL
I was testing the AUTO logic of Solo.

This is my first self locking props, P1 was common lock nut.

Ha ha ha, I did not know the props can come loose ...LOL

This is my first self locking props, P1 was common lock nut.

Why? What did you learn?

So far I learnt, but I need to repeat the test again.....that I can not abort auto take off ( propeller max power ) until probably some X altitude is reached.

I am trying to visualize if ever a solo get somehow entangled at take off due to some weird reason, what can we do to abort the auto take off ?

Many report said that after a crash landing and when flipped a Solo does not immediately shut off the motors. Why ?
What is the parameter to shut down motors ? Over amperage ? or no progress of minus altitude compared to motor current ?
I started with MANUAL because P1 was all I have. I don't like not knowing the limitation of Solo all AUTO features. :)

My comments about your reckless and foolish "test" were not simply because of the propellers coming off. You're actually planning to do this crap again??? Seriously. This is natural selection at work.

Reactions: The Soloist
Yes, I will do it again as soon as my safety gear all set :) and solving how to remotely turn off battery power, perhaps a push solenoid to the switch will do the trick or I extend battery wire to install a 60amps relay in between.

BTW, Solo logs shows 2 barometer, where are they at ?

Thanks P2P.

The A+B+Pause shutoff must be held down to work - there is a delay before the shutoff occurs.

I wanted to know "what-if" scenario Solo will behave like in AUTO mode.

I'm all for investigating "what ifs", always good to know how something will react in a given situation. But you should really try to be a little more methodical in your methods. It's only a matter of time before something unexpected happens. You could strap your Solo down to a weight, fixed anchor or something and stand well back. Seriously, a prop could easily destroy an eye or slice through a major vein.

These brushless motors have a ton of torque, and spinning at 10's of thousands of RPM, flesh isn't even a remote obstacle.

I've accidentally pruned small tree branches and twigs with a multirotor. And that was at only 40% power.

Last edited:
So far I learnt, but I need to repeat the test again.....that I can not abort auto take off ( propeller max power ) until probably some X altitude is reached.

I am trying to visualize if ever a solo get somehow entangled at take off due to some weird reason, what can we do to abort the auto take off ?

Many report said that after a crash landing and when flipped a Solo does not immediately shut off the motors. Why ?
What is the parameter to shut down motors ? Over amperage ? or no progress of minus altitude compared to motor current ?
I started with MANUAL because P1 was all I have. I don't like not knowing the limitation of Solo all AUTO features. :)
I'm not sure what you would get "entangled" in. If you take off in an open area, what would entangle you?

Are you looking into manually operating in confined areas or under a forest canopy or something like that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44