I can't beleive it!!!

Reaction score
After getting excited after writing this thread: Finally... Back in the air...

My Solo had a catastrophic crash after only 15mins in the air. I've only just replaced the Gimbal too (its frist flight and its destroyed). It was flying nicely until, i suspect, one of the motors failed and it tumbled out of the sky, smashing into the floor. The battery sprung out (bending the copper terminals), the frame is cracked and bent in many places and the Gimbal, as I've said, is smegged...

I just can't believe it. I've been eagerly waiting 4 weeks to get in the air and with my first flight it ends in a crash.

Its hard to stay committed and remain passionate with Solo when things like this happen (i know any quad-copter can react the same).

I managed to bend back the copper terminal and insert the battery and power up. I spun the motors but there was no activity from motor 3 (i suspect this caused the crash or could be damaged from the crash). I also managed to retrieve all logs off of Solo and the controller and it does indeed look like motor failure.

Luckily, my GoPro came away with only a few scratches and still works..

I've sent everything to 3DR hoping they will honor their warranty commitments.

Again, i'm grounded... Feel like giving up on the whole thing :(

Oh noes!

Warranty? Insurance?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry, LOL...you still have a warranty.

Call it quits on Solo, the next bird or the next. It's all the same, don't be delusional. Your fault, her fault, it's still your fault. At least Solo can be rebuilt at a fair cost if you're handy. If not go buy a Mavic or Karma when they return...fly happy, crash, spend money, repeat.

Good luck.

Reactions: Del
I've only had this drone for 2 months and in all that time i've flown 10 times, if that (including waiting for a month for a Go-pro part). I just want it to work and fly without something going wrong. I want to enjoy the splendor of flying a drone.

If 3DR come back saying they won't replace it, its gonna cost heaps to get it repaired; a shell in Oz is $200AUD. It would be best to replace all the motor pods too, the remaining three have crashed into dirt (don't want to risk flying on them now)...

Motor pods cost about 75AUD each from eBay..

The amount of money i have spent on this drone in 2 months i could have bought a DJI Inspire!!!!

Last edited:
It would be best to replace all the motor pods too, the remaining three have crashed into dirt (don't want to risk flying on them now)...
you can easily clean out the motor pods by popping the circlips and taking the bell off. Pack it with blue-tac and you'll pull all the dirt out.

I had to clean out a motor on a miniquad after it sucked in some magnetic iron beach 'sand' in NZ.

you can easily clean out the motor pods by popping the circlips and taking the bell off. Pack it with blue-tac and you'll pull all the dirt out.

I had to clean out a motor on a miniquad after it sucked in some magnetic iron beach 'sand' in NZ.

I took out pod 3 and its pretty smegged; it's warped and no power reaches it at all as a consequence.

Well, if I'm forced to repair rather than having it replaced, I'll swap out the motors for some better ones.

do not send the logs from your older crash to 3DR, they could consider that for an "out"

I think best to change the motor to T-Motor.
To me if I loose the opportunity of use, I loose more than the entire drone cost as this are fun toys, the more we get enjoyment and use, the cheaper the ownership is.
I see 3DR Solo as a very good platform , but have been shown to use crappy motor of choice.
So me change to T-Motor.

So best to invest a bit more and hopefully get 200+ hours non stop enjoyment out of it.
This is the same as how we change tires on our car with a high performance one, if you love higher G-force driving :)

The diferrence for our tire is, the better the grip, the sooner it wear out... but the fun is worth it.

it should be noted this is not normal as well
my original sslo is still flying over a year old and several crashes. All of them my fault

I suspect one of the blades may have snapped midair. Damn.. They had been involved in another crash but it wasn't from much of a height...

Last edited:
What was your battery percentage? You say you were flying for 15 minutes and it was the only flight.
Be sure and always keep those props in great shape - and never fly with damaged ones! It's ok to fly with a little nick or scratches caused by an encounter with a branch or the like - the damage truly is cosmetic only - but if the ground was involved in any way with the damage, replace them.
I've been seriously lucky and have only had one minor crash after hundreds of flights with four Solos. Yep, my lucky steak is going to end one day, but I'm going to put it off as long as possible! :cool:

Oh yeah - order a few sets of APC props. They're less expensive than stock props, are quieter, and definitely more rugged.

What was your battery percentage? You say you were flying for 15 minutes and it was the only flight.
Be sure and always keep those props in great shape - and never fly with damaged ones! It's ok to fly with a little nick or scratches caused by an encounter with a branch or the like - the damage truly is cosmetic only - but if the ground was involved in any way with the damage, replace them.
I've been seriously lucky and have only had one minor crash after hundreds of flights with four Solos. Yep, my lucky steak is going to end one day, but I'm going to put it off as long as possible! :cool:
My bat was at 30% and was coming in for a landing when it went haywire. It was just above me too so I was pretty lucky. The sound it made hitting the ground made my face screw up.

Last edited:
From looking at this image (photographed soon after the crash before touching it), I see one of blades are missing. I wonder if it flew off mid-air some how causing the crash.

Attachments

• IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 65
Cyber blitz - looks like one prop completely blown off and one blown or snapped one side of the other.

Marich: did the APC 10x45 solo props require any work to get on the solo? I got the 11x45 and they'll need drilling out to fit over the unthreaded portion of the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig