How to use Tower with Solo

In Tower, if you are comfortable with editing Params, you can disable the RTH and geofence. This allows you to program missions that extend beyond the range of your controller. I'd suggest getting familiar with what your doing before you start editing Params. Probably a good idea to note down your changes.
Thanks. I don't think I'll be disabling RTH any time soon but it's interesting to know it's a possibility.

Interesting. On the iPad, doesn't that look like the field where Colin does his demo thing? It is,,I recognize the building up on the hill. Beautiful area!!

In Tower, if you are comfortable with editing Params, you can disable the RTH and geofence. This allows you to program missions that extend beyond the range of your controller. I'd suggest getting familiar with what your doing before you start editing Params. Probably a good idea to note down your changes.
Was going to be a question I had, can auto-mission be made outside of the controller's range. Can't wait to run Tower, Yippee!

Hope no one minds if I revive an older thread but...

Is this saying that if I connect my Solo to Tower even one time and use it to plan a flight that the Fly Away Warranty will no longer be valid, even if I switch back to using the Solo App?

Is this saying that if I connect my Solo to Tower even one time and use it to plan a flight that the Fly Away Warranty will no longer be valid, even if I switch back to using the Solo App?
No.....just don't do anything stupid that causes a crash or fly away.

No. It just means that while you are using Tower you don't get the protection. If you are using the Solo app you are fine.

Reactions: SteveMyers75
Just noticed something that sucks. Tower wont run without updated Google Play Services.

Updated Play services causes havoc with DJI pilot for the P3 (on Samsung) and makes the display frame rate.

I would like to play with tower but don't think I am going to be installing the update just to run tower and then remove it.

Always something !

Maybe try it on my phone though.

Would someone please direct me to where 3DR says "all except Solo" or something like that? Because this is what I find in several places from 3DR regarding Tower:

Features

Tower is suited to first-time pilots as well as experts. As with DroidPlanner, you don’t need to know how to fly a drone in order to fly our drones: Create flights by simply drawing paths on your tablet or by dropping waypoints. The app also provides transmitter-free operation of all 3DR-powered copters and planes from any Android smartphone or tablet.
and this:

New to flying? We recommend that you use Solo iOS and Android apps with Solo. The Solo App has a suite of features built in to allow great flight and photography experiences–right out of the box!

Advanced users can use Tower on Android or any of the other MAVLink-based desktop ground station programs (Mission Planner on Windows, APM Planner on Mac OSX) to do more sophisticated mission planning. Please be aware that these apps are designed for expert users who want to explore some of the more advanced and experimental applications of our platform. Read these Do’s and Don’ts before using Tower.,,,,,,, Adjusted parameters can impact stabilization and flight control. Crashes or damage caused by user-adjusted parameters will be considered user error and may not be covered by Solo's warranty.

So, if I read this literally it says:

You can use Tower as an Advanced user (which is what exactly?) and if you DO NOT change parameters your good to go,,or something like that. Yes?,,,No?,,,

They certainly don't mind that you use Tower with Solo. But like it says at the end and had been noted before, if you make a change in the parameters that directly is the cause of the accident, then it may not be covered. For example.. change your RTH to 20' and crash into a tree or change a parameter that makes it difficult to fly.

I've flown a few Tower Missions with no issues at all, but have a couple of questions.

Does anyone exactly what they mean when it says not to use the pause button for an emergency brake?
Are they suggesting not to use it at all, or just not as a mid-waypoint brake?

Either way, what would be the proper procedure to interrupt a Tower Flight Plan if needed?
(like when a Hawk starts taking way too much interest in my Solo and I need it back home pronto..)
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm think I can just hit the RTH button on either the Artoo or the Tower App?

Also, are they talking about the Pause Button on the "Artoo" Controller, or the Pause Button on the Tower App's Screen?

From their web: http://3drobotics.com/kb/tower-best-practices/

Don’t

· Adjust settings and original vehicle parameters unless you are an experienced pilot
· Fly autonomous missions or control Solo with Tower while in Smart Shots
· Use the Pause button inside Tower to perform an emergency brake
· Change any parameter without first consulting this guide (http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/configuration/arducopter-parameters/)
· Load missions not created with Tower into Tower
· Use Tower simultaneously with any other Ground Control Station software available on for desktop or mobile

I've flown a few Tower Missions with no issues at all, but have a couple of questions.

Does anyone exactly what they mean when it says not to use the pause button for an emergency brake?

Either way, what would be the proper procedure to interrupt a Tower Flight Plan if needed?
(like when a Hawk starts taking way too much interest in my Solo and I need it back home pronto..)
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm think I can just hit the RTH button on either the Artoo or the Tower App?

Also, are they talking about the Pause Button on the "Artoo" Controller, or the Pause Button on the Tower App's Screen?

Don’t

· Adjust settings and original vehicle parameters unless you are an experienced pilot
· Change any parameter without first consulting this guide (http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/configuration/arducopter-parameters/)
· Use Tower simultaneously with any other Ground Control Station software available on for desktop or mobile
That is odd about not using pause. It's okay to hit Fly, though, right? That should have the same effect in theory.

Don’t

There is a PAUSE button inside Tower that pre-dates the PAUSE button ("Emergency Break") on the Solo controller. Basically, all they are saying is: Don't confuse them. The PAUSE button inside Tower is not an Emergency break. It just pauses missions and follow me mode and stuff like that.

To take back control of a Solo during a Tower mission you can just hit the Fly button or the Pause button on the Solo controller. If you've assigned a flight mode like Manual to the A or B button, you can use that too.

can't get my solo to connect with Solo, any suggestions?

Has anyone tried using the Tower app with their Solo yet?
If so, how did you get it connected?

UPDATE2:
Here are the steps.
  1. Connect your Android device to the Solo wifi network.
    (you won't be needing the MavLink cable that Iris+ owners use).
  2. Launch the Tower App.
  3. Settings >> Connection type: UDP
  4. Back out of settings and click "Connect"

Careful: Crashes while using Tower are not covered by 3DR. Use at your own risk. See post below for more info.
c

That's OK it was funny when I calmed down and re-read it myself. I just want this to work have a couple things coming up I want to use it for, instead of flying the mission myself.

I followed those instruction with no luck. That's what I tried before I made my post. I will try it again.

its states connection fail. Bind failed. EADDRINUSE (address already in use). I don't know what could be using this address

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44