How to use Tower with Solo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using the Tower app with their Solo yet?
If so, how did you get it connected?

UPDATE2:
Here are the steps.
  1. Connect your Android device to the Solo wifi network.
    (you won't be needing the MavLink cable that Iris+ owners use).
  2. Launch the Tower App.
  3. Settings >> Connection type: UDP
  4. Back out of settings and click "Connect"

Careful: Crashes while using Tower are not covered by 3DR. Use at your own risk. See post below for more info.

Last edited:
That's what put me over the edge when comparing it to the Phantom 3. I really like autonomous flight on my P2.

Has anyone tried using the Tower app with their Solo yet?
If so, how did you get it connected?

UPDATE:
On DIYdrones.com I asked this same question and just got this answer from someone:

"Connect your tablet to the Solo wifi and then open Tower and choose UDP as the connection."​

Pretty simple. I will test it out today and report back in case anyone is interested.
I've got the tower app but haven't played with it. Can you program out of range missions with it?

Now that's the big question. I know on my P2 I have lost connection with the ground station program but the Phantom will continue to fly it's course. I never flew out of radio range and I have gone out about 1 mile and 1/4. This is where the range extender might come in handy. The P2 is supposed to initiate an RTH if it goes out of range but I have not experienced that yet. I would bet the Solo would RTH if it gets out of range.

Now that's the big question. I know on my P2 I have lost connection with the ground station program but the Phantom will continue to fly it's course. I never flew out of radio range and I have gone out about 1 mile and 1/4. This is where the range extender might come in handy. The P2 is supposed to initiate an RTH if it goes out of range but I have not experienced that yet. I would bet the Solo would RTH if it gets out of range.
The only way I found, so far, to disable RTH would be to fly without GPS which defeats the purpose of mission flight. Ground control mode would be nice, where RTH isn't triggered by controller signal loss but you can still use GPS.

I saw a post on the FB Solo group that said connecting the Solo to Tower will void the warranty.
The Solo mission planner will be released in a few weeks.

Edit: I think the gist of the discussion is if you crash and the log shows you were flying with Tower, you will not be covered by the warranty. I'm assuming this indicates there are some compatibility issues with Solo and Tower. The advice was to wait for the Solo MP.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmosMoses
I saw a post on the FB Solo group that said connecting the Solo to Tower will void the warranty.
The Solo mission planner will be released in a few weeks.
That might have been my conversation with 3DR :)

Yea if you have issues while running Tower the 3DR warranty does not apply.

I am anxious to hear if it will fly after you lose connectivity. I commonly fly my Phantom 2 to 2 1/2 miles with no connectivity at all.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
That might have been my conversation with 3DR :)

Yea if you have issues while running Tower the 3DR warranty does not apply.

I am anxious to hear if it will fly after you lose connectivity. I commonly fly my Phantom 2 to 2 1/2 miles with no connectivity at all.
I bet it was your conversation! I just made a mental note to not connect to Tower and moved on, not paying much more attention to the discussion.
Ok, I gotta get out of here and make my maiden flight!

Good luck. Be looking forward to you reporting back :)

Good luck. Be looking forward to you reporting back :)
No problems with the update, all went smooth.
Went to my club's flying field and 2 minutes into the flight, lost app contact and went into RTL. Rebooted everything, and about 90 seconds into the second flight, same thing.
I Shut everything down, waited about 5 minutes, Solo back on, controller back on, app back on, launched and again, lost contact about a minute into the flight, and then got an error telling me I needed to do a level calibration. So I shut it all down and flew 3 batteries on my Iris+. After that, tried the Solo again with the same results.
Now I'm home and rushing out to attend a work meeting.
Very disappointed.

We need an "unlike" button on this sites.

What do you see when it loses connectivity?

A warning that it has lost the connection and is in RTL. Both an audible and vibration alert precede the alarm explanation on the screen. Phone goes blank.

Phone goes blank as in black screen?

Except for the blank screen part it sounds like you and losing connectivity with the bird and the app has nothing to do with it.

Great review and write up. Maybe a video while you run the apps would be great?
RRMCCABE.. I hope a reason for you to hang in there a little longer?

Great review and write up. Maybe a video while you run the apps would be great?
RRMCCABE.. I hope a reason for you to hang in there a little longer?
Its interesting because I did record the live stream to my iPad, but it didn't capture the overlayed messages the Solo App would throw up when starting an auto mission, aborting one, following, etc. etc.

Reactions: Raybro
The only way I found, so far, to disable RTH would be to fly without GPS which defeats the purpose of mission flight. Ground control mode would be nice, where RTH isn't triggered by controller signal loss but you can still use GPS.

In Tower, if you are comfortable with editing Params, you can disable the RTH and geofence. This allows you to program missions that extend beyond the range of your controller. I'd suggest getting familiar with what your doing before you start editing Params. Probably a good idea to note down your changes.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44