How To Replace Solo Motor Bearings!

I don't believe they are tested at all. Listen to motor no 2 before it even had been started for the very first time.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
My lawn mower sounds smoother.o_O

I have also noticed my silver motors 1 & 2 feel a lot more tighter than than black 3 & 4.

Did someone say they believe they could have been on two different production lines?

The sales guy at the department store was telling me that they will wear in, I reckon he was blowing smoke up my arse.

Solo motor bearings
Just googling around re Solo motor bearings, for those that are wondering,
(or probably just for my own benefit....so i can search it later)
The dimensions have been listed on these forums, but the standard names are....
Small bearing is an R2-5ZZ or the stainless variant is SR2-5ZZ (1/8 x 5/16 x 9/64)
Larger bearing is an R2ZZ, the stainless variant is SR2ZZ (1/8 x 3/8 x 5/32)
They are about a $1 each on ebay.
440c stainless I imagine would be better than the rock bottom cheapest.
Then theres ceramic which is harder again, at about $5 each.(add a 'C' to the end eg R2ZZ-C))

Roland, have you been able to source these locally here in Australia?

Roland, have you been able to source these locally here in Australia?
No, havent really looked for them locally.
They are so cheap on eBay I'll probably buy a handful of the 440c stainless type and put them aside for when I do get around to changing the stock motor bearings.
Small parts and bearings have them, they have everything, but prices are through the roof, just go eBay.

Somethin you might try to press the bearings into place. As I said, don't try to pound them in. You might end up with something worse than when you started. Get a small screw and nut thst will fit through the center of the bearings. Place a washer on both ends that is large enough to cover the bearings. Then tighten the nut slowlu on the srew until both bearings are fully seated. This way you will apply an even pressure across the bearing. I also put a dab of dishwashing soap with a q-tip to the outside race to lube it. Good luck,,it's worth the effort and 2nd time it's a lot easier.

Reactions: Maddog
I would get some TriFlow lube and use that instead of the dishsoap. It's great bearing lube. We used to use it on the bearings on our skateboards back in the 80s lol, and it's still being used on bearings of all sorts today. Great stuff. Will penetrate sealed bearings too.

Mine were the same also, smooth as a baby's butt after changing. I also got the same app and in my opinion it was useless. Using your touch with the MP motor test is much better.

In case anyone's interested, these are the Boca Bearing P/N's

These are the Boaca Bearing P/N's for SEALED bearings: SR2-LL/C3C and SR2-5UU3. I apologize for the previous P/N/s but there are correct for sealed bearings.

Reactions: Maddog
Mine were the same also, smooth as a baby's butt after changing. I also got the same app and in my opinion it was useless. Using your touch with the MP motor test is much better.

In case anyone's interested, these are the Boca Bearing P/N's

These are the Boaca Bearing P/N's for SEALED bearings: SR2-LL/C3C and SR2-5UU3. I apologize for the previous P/N/s but there are correct for sealed bearings.
Thanks Dave ..I might try the Boaca bearing next time I order!!
Thanks for the info :)

Cheers

I just came across this Video and thought I would share!... I think this is a pretty good example for the people that would like to know the differents between the sound of a Bad Motor Bearing compare to a Good motor Bearing..!

Cheers

Reactions: Maddog and Nerius
I just came across this Video and thought I would share!... I think this is a pretty good example for the people that would like to know the differents between the sound of a Bad Motor Bearing compare to a Good motor Bearing..!

Cheers
That's amazing! If the video is accurate, the Boca bearings don't sound so good.

Clearly an ad for RCTimer.

RCTimer is based in Hong Kong (big surprise). I wonder if they make their own bearings? If not who does?

That's amazing! If the video is accurate, the Boca bearings don't sound so good.

Clearly an ad for RCTimer.

RCTimer is based in Hong Kong (big surprise). I wonder if they make their own bearings? If not who does?
I have no ideal...I'm still learning my Self :)

Cheers

I have no ideal...I'm still learning my Self :)
I was wondering the same thing, all three sound bad...less for the RCTimer ones. Personally it sounds like the shafts are spinning in the bearings, which is not good. Preloading bearings will help.

Since your on the trail for discoveries in replacing bearings. First, for you USA people, AVID bearings seems to be good quality and at a buck a piece. They have a good rep in the RC car/truck community, so can't be all that bad.

Here are some pictures for my DIY bearing press, assembled and disassembled. Similar to what DavidWeston had mentioned. The key is not pressing the inner race when seating the bearings, only the outside race. The tool presses the bearings straight in, no need for lube to install. The bearing adapters were machined from aluminum, with .005" smaller OD than the bearing and then the hole's ID was slightly larger than the inner race's OD.

T-Motor cir-clips and thrust washer, I highly recommend buying both. Preloading the installed bearings will improve performance and bearing life, the T-Motor nylon thrust washer is slightly thicker than the stock brass washer but they will compress.

Then in the picture are two tools I use for removing and installing the cir-clips. Both tools can be had through McMaster-Carr and are a bit tricky to use, but once mastered makes the task easier. The plier looking tool, is a cir-clip spreader, very valuable for these odd shaped cir-clips. On second thought, the tools are a little pricey, I'd only purchase if your doing bearing replacement as a biz. Me, I have a weakness for specialty tools...no biz need.

IMG_20160124_142006_879.jpg IMG_20160124_141841_432.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks