How do we make smooth transition from one ROI to another ROI in Tower?

Reaction score
I am trying to do one continuous (unedited) shot using a Tower mission that contains two ROIs (Region of Interest). Everything is smooth until the Solo has to transition to the second ROI. It will suddenly and quickly swerve around to the second ROI (at the appropriate waypoint). How can I make this transition to the second ROI smoother?

Here is short vid
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you adjusted down your yaw setting in the Solo app to turtle... Seems the yaw rate is adjustable there or within parameters settings.

Rich,

Yes the yaw setting in the Solo app is called "Camera pan" and is set at the slowest. Any other thoughts? Thanks

Unfortunately ROI changes don't really slew properly. Cable cam was designed for exactly this sort of thing.

Changing camera pan won't help much.

Rich,

Yes the yaw setting in the Solo app is called "Camera pan" and is set at the slowest. Any other thoughts? Thanks
Bummer.... Only suggestion is to create a pre-turn WP to your 2nd ROI, possibly a Spline type to exit out of Circle smoother. May take several WPs to be effective. Just a work around to the short comings until we have finer control.

Again sorry I haven't dove deeply into actual using Tower live. Kind of reminds me of using first gen vector drawing programs, no handles to change the curve length. Had to add additional anchors to make a particular curve.

Bummer.... Only suggestion is to create a pre-turn WP to your 2nd ROI, possibly a Spline type to exit out of Circle smoother. May take several WPs to be effective. Just a work around to the short comings until we have finer control.

Again sorry I haven't dove deeply into actual using Tower live. Kind of reminds me of using first gen vector drawing programs, no handles to change the curve length. Had to add additional anchors to make a particular curve.
HHmmm, interesting idea but also thinking that no matter how many WP I put in, the camera will stay focused on ROI # 1 until it is time to go to ROI # 2. I can make the flight smoother with your suggestion of adding additional waypoints but I do not see how this will change the quick transition from ROI # 1 to ROI # 2. Thanks gain for your ideas.

HHmmm, interesting idea but also thinking that no matter how many WP I put in, the camera will stay focused on ROI # 1 until it is time to go to ROI # 2. I can make the flight smoother with your suggestion of adding additional waypoints but I do not see how this will change the quick transition from ROI # 1 to ROI # 2. Thanks gain for your ideas.
Are you certain another WP or two won't break the #1 ROI lock... I thought everything was based on the timeline sequencing.

I wish I could get past my vibration issues to move on to working with Tower. Again I'm just offering help, without any real world experiences for results. I have over 20 mission planned for an upcoming weekend. Based on what you are saying, mine won't work out like planned.....either.

Have you tried putting a 3rd ROI in? Maybe one that points in between the 2 that you are trying to transition from/to?

Does adding a delay help at all with smoothing it out?

Haven't tried this...just thinking...

Are you certain another WP or two won't break the #1 ROI lock... I thought everything was based on the timeline sequencing.

I wish I could get past my vibration issues to move on to working with Tower. Again I'm just offering help, without any real world experiences for results. I have over 20 mission planned for an upcoming weekend. Based on what you are saying, mine won't work out like planned.....either.
Yes I am positive. I can add more ROI "waypoints' anywhere I like (between any two other standard waypoints) and then just change the order at the bottom of the "Editor" screen to put that new ROI waypoint where I want. But I still do not see how this will "calm down" the abrupt change solo makes to lock onto new ROI. BTW, you may have seen this already but GREAT tutorial on Tower. A bit long but skip to parts of interest. Tks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you tried putting a 3rd ROI in? Maybe one that points in between the 2 that you are trying to transition from/to?

Does adding a delay help at all with smoothing it out?

Haven't tried this...just thinking...
Yes, I think that this may be a work around. ill have to give it a try. I amy also try to put in two speed change waypoint to bookend the transition area. Thanks for feedback

Yes, I think that this may be a work around. ill have to give it a try. I amy also try to put in two speed change waypoint to bookend the transition area. Thanks for feedback
Can you pause camera, until Solo get's to next POI?
I know your trying to get smooth transitions from POI#1 to POI#2, but if you can set a WP between both POI, with a pause & have Solo pointing in good direction to make a smooth entering point to POI#2 would that work?

Reactions: Pogo
I presume Mission Planner preceded Tower/Droid Planner, here is a reference to ROI and to clear within Mission Planner. Knowing that, couldn't you setup in Mission planner and then upload to bird and then back in to Tower. We're talking a long work around....until a full feature set is provided to Tower.

Copter Mission Command List | Copter

If using AC3.2: The nose would continue to point at the red marker until the end of the mission. To “clear” the do-set-roi and cause the vehicle to return to it’s default behavior (i.e. pointing at the next waypoint) a second DO_SET_ROI command should be placed later in the mission with all zero for Lat, Lon and Alt.

Reactions: Jubalr
I know your trying to get smooth transitions from POI#1 to POI#2, but if you can set a WP between both POI, with a pause & have Solo pointing in good direction to make a smooth entering point to POI#2 would that work?
Steve, Pogo's correct, ROI is set until another ROI is set...no matter what falls in between.

Agreed we need to fly more! I appreciate all the help. For now I will just edit footage to get smooth transitions between ROIs.

I use Tower almost for every flight here are my settings:
When I start a mission, after the takeoff waypoint, I put a "Change speed" waypoint and I put 2 m/sec and so transitions between WP are smooth.
For the waypoint itself, I set the "Delay before next WP" to 5 sec so, I stay in place for 5 sec before to continue the mission.
At the end of my mission I put a "Return to Launch" waypoint so, Solo come back at high speed.

Reactions: Pogo
Steve, I think you have given me an idea here. Setting a new WP between the two ROIs will not help BUT....I could make it so that when I have finished the first ROI, I can plan the mission so that the bird is facing the second ROI at that same moment. In other words have the two ROIs lined up in a row behind the solo so that when it starts towards the second ROI, it is already facing that direction. I like your idea, thanks!

I use Tower almost for every flight here are my settings:
When I start a mission, after the takeoff waypoint, I put a "Change speed" waypoint and I put 2 m/sec and so transitions between WP are smooth.
For the waypoint itself, I set the "Delay before next WP" to 5 sec so, I stay in place for 5 sec before to continue the mission.
At the end of my mission I put a "Return to Launch" waypoint so, Solo come back at high speed.
These are some good points for Tower missions, but not sure how these steps will dampen the quick transition that the Solo makes when aiming from one ROI to the next ROI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseyKoehn