GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

Follow up on GoPro Upgrade
Hi all;
I posted earlier that I contacted both 3DR and GoPro tech support regarding the update to 4.0. Well just to let you know tech support at GoPro has contacted me 2 days later and has asked for the specifics of the camera and the drone and is following up with the "3DR" People to see if an update can be made as well as looking into a possible "roll back" procedure for the GoPro for those who wish to., though they caution that they are unsure if this is even possible.
I give them cudos though for their follow up efforts and quick respones,

Let's hope 3DR will take a play from Gopro's follow up play book!

I am rather amazed at the follow-up! Keep us posted.

How did their responses come to you - email?

Why do you need 400 iso day?
I don't, but that's as low as it goes. There is no ISO 100 options in video. Maybe there is a lower ISO option in photo mode? But on my H4B, the video ISO minimum setting is 400.

Right, so where are you seeing this ISO100 for video? That is not an option on my GoPro 4 black. And that's substantiated by the recommended setting of 400, which is as low as it will go.

If everyone here is like me, the names of the settings and the order that they appear in the GoPro app are definitely confusing. The terminology is a bit obtuse also. But after some limited experimentation, I have figured out a few vital things we need to remember.

1. "Manual Exposure" setting allows the camera to lock a shutter speed. Depending on the "Frames Per Second", the Manual exposure options will change accordingly. The options are:
a) "Auto" - full automatic shutter speeds
b) equal to the Frames Per Second. Equal to a 360 degree shutter. So, if you shoot at 90fps, the first manual setting is 1/90th second, etc.
c) 2X the Frames Per Second. This is equal to a 180 degree film shutter. So for that 90fps, the second manual setting is 1/180 second
d) 4X the Frames Per Second. This is a 90 degree film shutter. Same example, 90fps, the third manual setting is 1/360 second

2. When "Manual Exposure" is set to anything but Auto, a new menu item appears on the app: "ISO Mode"

3. "ISO Mode" settings are
a) Max - This will then defer to the setting you have in "ISO Limit" menu. (see #4 below)
b) Lock - As the name implies, it does lock the ISO to that "ISO Limit"

4. "ISO Limit" - has options from 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400. The camera can still automatically adjust exposure by changing the ISO up to the "ISO Limit" that you set. Having a higher limit will give more exposure adjustments automatically, but as the name implies, ISO Limit will be as high as it goes. Remember, this setting directly affects the "ISO Mode". If ISO Mode is set to "Lock", then the "ISO Limit" is your locked ISO - no exposure adjustments done automatically.

For me, without actually flying with this new update yet, I would think keeping some auto exposure may be a good thing. I will experiment with the 180 and 90 degree type shutters and having a couple stops of ISO Max dialed in. That way, if the exposure needs to change, it can in a limited way. I am thinking specifically if the camera is pointing downward, and then tilts up to reveal more sky, locking in the exposure may not be such a good idea. Time will tell.

Set ISO Mode to Lock and then you will see ISO Limit available to 100
Splendid. I will give that a shot tomorrow.

I used an ND32 filter with 4K 30fps 1/60 shutter, ISO400. It was much better with that filter than the ND16. It was 6:30pm, so the lighting conditions sucked in general. But based on what I saw, I think the ND32 will be my new best friend for sunny daylight.

Why do you set the sharpness on low?
the main reason I use lower sharpness in camera, is that the in camera sharpening is really nothing more than gopro's software sharpening not lens produced. it is not as advanced as the antisharp mask or sharpening tools in lumetri so I get better results sharpening in post. at least for video

Reactions: Matt Garcia
the main reason I use lower sharpness in camera, is that the in camera sharpening is really nothing more than gopro's software sharpening not lens produced. it is not as advanced as the antisharp mask or sharpening tools in lumetri so I get better results sharpening in post. at least for video
To build on what pyrate said, this is a good read and has expanations: Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

Now that we can adjust the shutter speed what what filters do you guys recommended for this bright Florida sun? nd16, nd32? Polarpro?

that is all going to depend on your shoot.
for example if you are using circular polarizers they don't really help with direct into or away from sun.
ND filters will act differently now that you can lock the shutter speed. The primary reason people used them in the past was to manipulate the auto shutter speed. Don't need to do that now
Would love to see a refresh of that suggested settings post now with our new options
until someone smarter than me figures it out, I will just be playing with the locked at twice the frame rate versus auto with a filter to see what I like best.

Reactions: erikgraham
An ND16 will not be enough with the shutter speed locked to double the framerate. ND32 will end up being the minimum for bright sunny mid-day work. And ND16 might cut it on a cloudy day, but even then, the clouds may appear over exposed. I've flown 5 batteries testing this out, and that's the conclusion I've come to.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
I'm thinking I will need to invest in an ND64 for most of my shoots. When your on the beach the glare is amplified off the ocean and even with an ND32 it's blow right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who utilizes the manual shutter speed will quickly find the Polar Pro 6 pack not economically valuable anymore. The Pl, ND8, & ND8PL are basically useless. The ND16 & ND16PL may be OK for a cloudy day if the clouds are not in the picture. They bright white clouds with sunlight bleeding through will be over exposed. The only really useful one ends up being the ND32.

Money would be better spent on just an ND32 and ND64. Maybe a polarized version on each too if applicable to the mission.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
Yep right on there. I have PolarPro six pack and even before the GoPro v4 update I rarely used anything but ND16 and ND32.

Will be looking at options from SRP and Taco. I wish we would see one of the major camera filter manufacturers make a line for GoPro. I would expect the price to manufacturer for them to be significantly lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks