gopro fw 5.0

Ok, here are two GIF animations made from frame captures in all 3 of the FOV modes available in 2.7K resolution, and all 4 FOV modes available in 1080 resolution, respectively. I hope the downsized frames are big enough to convey the desired information. All shots were taken with the GoPro 4 Silver on a tripod. IMHO the Linear mode is so good that it outweighs the nuisance of having to turn on the camera manually.

27k-all.gif
1080-all.gif

Ok, here are two GIF animations made from frame captures in all 3 of the FOV modes available in 2.7K resolution, and all 4 FOV modes available in 1080 resolution, respectively. I hope the downsized frames are big enough to convey the desired information. All shots were taken with the GoPro 4 Silver on a tripod. IMHO the Linear mode is so good that it outweighs the nuisance of having to turn on the camera manually.

27k-all.gif
1080-all.gif
Yup... I'm a big fan of linear mode.

27k-all.gif
1080-all.gif
Great review, but what do aerial photos look like.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

thanks for the comparison, only downside of Linear is that at 1080 you must be lower than 50 FPS and on 2.7K lower than 25 FPS (on PAL, NTSC according)

Great review, but what do aerial photos look like.

Exactly the same amount of warping, but from the sky. ;) The most noticeable warping in Solo+GoPro shots IMHO is the horizon. I'll try to get some good representative aerial shots for ya (gimme a few days). However, since Linear mode can't be turned on remotely, the 2.7K and 1080 shots will not be able to be from exactly the same location, unlike the tripod examples above, which therefore give a better idea of the relative "width" of each of the FOV options. Hey, maybe I *can* return to the same location by saving it in a MPCC...

Reactions: EROC
Exactly the same amount of warping, but from the sky. ;) The most noticeable warping in Solo+GoPro shots IMHO is the horizon. I'll try to get some good representative aerial shots for ya (gimme a few days). However, since Linear mode can't be turned on remotely, the 2.7K and 1080 shots will not be able to be from exactly the same location, unlike the tripod examples above, which therefore give a better idea of the relative "width" of each of the FOV options. Hey, maybe I *can* return to the same location by saving it in a MPCC...
I wonder if Solex will be developing the GP camera mode upgrade in the app.

Last edited:
Some things are just better off left alone - current GoPro and solo app firmware is good.

has anyone yet flown on V5.0 with Solo app without any problems?

I wonder if Solex will be developing the GP camera mode upgrade in the app.
Solex wouldn't be able to as the newer gopro code isn't in the older solo firmware (which then the 3DR and Solex apps/3rd parties could use). The new features also have to be incorporated into gopros sdk, which I'm not sure if it is yet. Some of the previous modes they left out, so 3rd parties wouldn't be able to utilize them without the proper hooks in the software.

Reactions: EROC
I'll try to get some good representative aerial shots for ya...

Ok here's an animation that flips between Medium and Linear FOV modes. Both shots were taken while just hovering in place, roughly 20 seconds apart. Notice how the farther away any line is from the middle of the picture, the more warped it looks in "Medium" FOV mode, whereas all lines look straight in Linear FOV mode, which I guess is the reason they call it "Linear" mode.

soloanim2.gif

Yes, no problems.
@Marich I just got my 4 Black and I want to make sure that after upgrading to V5.0 that all functionality can be controlled via the controller including toggling between photos and video ? You just have to turn it on manually while it is in the Gimbal prior to takeoff. Right ? Thanks

@Marich I just got my 4 Black and I want to make sure that after upgrading to V5.0 that all functionality can be controlled via the controller including toggling between photos and video ? You just have to turn it on manually while it is in the Gimbal prior to takeoff. Right ? Thanks

Yes been using v5 for the last 15 or so flights. Just turn the GoPro on first and you're good to go. Only other thing is you can't set linear mode with the controller.

I set 2.7k, 30fps and linear on the GoPro its self. Its the only mode I recorded in so that's fine with me. You can control all other video settings from the controller just can't go back to linear once you change the video settings on the controller. Pictures work fine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NickHobgood

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig