Good News.. Good News.. & Good News!

Reaction score
I was at the PhotoPlus Expo in NY this morning. I talked with the 3DR representative & gave some promising future updates for the Solo for the upcoming months. First is the bigger capacity battery for longer flights. Bigger means heavier. Which they will have a big motor upgrade too. New gimbals to accommodate another camera platform -- mirrorless perhaps. And lastly, an update to the App which you can make a flight path & way points like the Tower App. Well, good news indeed!

oh lord another uninformed solo 2 comment
just don't get it do we, my solo works great and if they make bigger and better anything it just means I have options to improve on my already rocking platform. it that makes your feel better to call that version 2 go ahead, just don't mind the people giggling behind your back

oh lord another uninformed solo 2 comment
just don't get it do we, my solo works great and if they make bigger and better anything it just means I have options to improve on my already rocking platform. it that makes your feel better to call that version 2 go ahead, just don't mind the people giggling behind your back
It will always be 1.0.......... with upgrades.
I don't think 3DR would do what DJI did after the Phantom 2 V2. It wasn't long after that version when they introduced the P3. It ticked a lot of people off. I was one of them. My P2 V2 was about 3 months old when DJI did that.
Their were a lot of people thinking they may offer a trade for the P3 at a discount.....LOL. Not DJI!

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate and Burkeam
I was at the PhotoPlus Expo in NY this morning. I talked with the 3DR representative & gave some promising future updates for the Solo for the upcoming months. First is the bigger capacity battery for longer flights. Bigger means heavier. Which they will have a big motor upgrade too. New gimbals to accommodate another camera platform -- mirrorless perhaps. And lastly, an update to the App which you can make a flight path & way points like the Tower App. Well, good news indeed!
Bigger battery+bigger motors=not much more flight time. Possibly these will be necessary to carry a larger gimbal/camera combo. I wonder if these projects are actually in the works with 3dr or if they are coming from 3rd party companies showing interest in the made for solo program. Either way, it would be cool if I could fly my a6000!

Reactions: Marty Westguard
I am guessing more is coming, not so sure the 3DR gopro alliance is as strong as they hoped. not to mention you will need to address a flood of m43 micro body cameras that appear to be coming. Personally cant wait I have a lot of m43 glass

Reactions: SloppyDingo
if all the features in Tower were already in he SOLO app - and they had not had the software gimbal issues as well as NOT providing the features like changing camera mode, FPS etc... ( which is why I bought in on the project) I don't think anyone could complain.

For $1400 if you already have a GoPro - you get a fairly tight system with a lot of room for growth, addons and software tweaks.

For what else is out there, SOLO is by far the best. Looks like something a pro would fly, and has impressed the hell out of anyone who I've shown or has come up to me while flying. I love the damn thing!

It might be a while until I upgrade - I really need a platform for my 1Dx - FREEFLY Alta is on my list - so until then - I'm showing as much love as I can muster for everyone over at 3DR - and hope they fix the software for what we have before they start shipping ANYTHING new. ;)

if all the features in Tower were already in he SOLO app - and they had not had the software gimbal issues as well as NOT providing the features like changing camera mode, FPS etc... ( which is why I bought in on the project) I don't think anyone could complain.

For $1400 if you already have a GoPro - you get a fairly tight system with a lot of room for growth, addons and software tweaks.

For what else is out there, SOLO is by far the best. Looks like something a pro would fly, and has impressed the hell out of anyone who I've shown or has come up to me while flying. I love the damn thing!

It might be a while until I upgrade - I really need a platform for my 1Dx - FREEFLY Alta is on my list - so until then - I'm showing as much love as I can muster for everyone over at 3DR - and hope they fix the software for what we have before they start shipping ANYTHING new. ;)

Alta looks cool... I was really intrigued until I saw the price! 8500 without a battery or gimbal... Ouch! Haven't seen an airframe that expensive since the early days... Not much info or specs I could find via the mobile site. Looks like a winner though.

Reactions: emulsiondown
While 3DRs display was quite nice I have to say the folks manning the booth left a lot to be desired IMO. I went by several times and while you could collar an employee directly, each time they were gathered together chatting with one another and paying absolutely no attention to attendees. Hardly the kind of presence that did 3DR justice. Heard several others make the same comment.

That aside, I did speak with a rep from Blackmagic at the show who confirmed that they were in active discussions with 3DR to develop a mod which would allow their camera to work with and be controlled by the Solo. Said they were probably about a month out. But that same rep was clueless about current FAA regs with respect to UAVs so who knows.

Last year at the Expo I recall seeing only one vendor other than DJI who had a nice booth with a fly cage. This year it seemed drones were all over the place with over a dozen different models on display ranging from mere toys to larger systems. Sign of the times...

Alta looks cool... I was really intrigued until I saw the price! 8500 without a battery or gimbal... Ouch! Haven't seen an airframe that expensive since the early days... Not much info or specs I could find via the mobile site. Looks like a winner though.
Like the folding props :)

hello your name same as my place where i live you been here before?

Funny thing is dji has done nothing but upgrade phantom over and over, just instead of simply buying the upgrade, they force people with more dollars than sense to rebuy the exact same bird over and over. These comments are hilarious and solo still has the same or fewer issues than p3 after 3 generations and what going on proly ten versions of those 3, but solo is a failure right phans. Got to stick with the "proven" design I guess is the argument, but if it's proven whys it seem to be falling apart from these upgrades to power is my question. If they'd change it more I may think about one, but if they just keep on puking up the same design with a tweak or two I see no reason to "upgrade" from the p2 I bought originally. Inspire looks nice and I honestly wouldn't mind having one for that alone really, but as far as I know for my needs it does very little more than the phantom for 3 times the price. Yes I have issues to work out, but I'm still more than happy with my choice in solo and would buy it again before anything else on the market at this point. Until something with more to offer hits the street, solo is and will be the best bird for me and anybody who wants every style and option wrapped into one quad.

I'm just glad we won't have to buy a whole new bird every time a bell or whistle comes out like I would have had to do with my phantom. Fast as tech is moving and now with competition added that's going to be less and less time between birds if they want to keep up with solo and the latest and greatest options we get.

Funny thing is dji has done nothing but upgrade phantom over and over, just instead of simply buying the upgrade, they force people with more dollars than sense to rebuy the exact same bird over and over. These comments are hilarious and solo still has the same or fewer issues than p3 after 3 generations and what going on proly ten versions of those 3, but solo is a failure right phans. Got to stick with the "proven" design I guess is the argument, but if it's proven whys it seem to be falling apart from these upgrades to power is my question. If they'd change it more I may think about one, but if they just keep on puking up the same design with a tweak or two I see no reason to "upgrade" from the p2 I bought originally. Inspire looks nice and I honestly wouldn't mind having one for that alone really, but as far as I know for my needs it does very little more than the phantom for 3 times the price. Yes I have issues to work out, but I'm still more than happy with my choice in solo and would buy it again before anything else on the market at this point. Until something with more to offer hits the street, solo is and will be the best bird for me and anybody who wants every style and option wrapped into one quad.

I'm just glad we won't have to buy a whole new bird every time a bell or whistle comes out like I would have had to do with my phantom. Fast as tech is moving and now with competition added that's going to be less and less time between birds if they want to keep up with solo and the latest and greatest options we get.
101% totally agree

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
my phantom 3 batteries are now useless i been store in a cabinet for almost 3 months with fully charge then after i tried to use in the aircraft the red flashing and trigger RTH when i was look on the dji software it says one bad cell WTF!

my phantom 3 batteries are now useless i been store in a cabinet for almost 3 months with fully charge then after i tried to use in the aircraft the red flashing and trigger RTH when i was look on the dji software it says one bad cell WTF!

Yea rc lipos don't do well in storage especially when we don't have the options to do maintenance like with normal lipo chargers. I lost a couple surface rc packs from storage in my garage over this summer, I didn't use my surface stuff much cause I been flying. Went to drive the X01 and one of its packs and one of my tc packs crapped out in the couple months they were sitting. Those aren't as expensive as these "smart" packs though, I've been at least cycling my p2 batts occasionally and my older one is doing same as yours while taking off. It was going on about 90 flights though so I knew it was close.

What's odd is lipos for my drills and saws or my blower and weed wacker all seem to do ok with storage. They're higher voltage 20v and 56v but I'm not real sure what makes them and other electronics lipos seem more stable than all the Rc ones I've owned. Guess there just made a bit better or more heavy duty, still seems almost like rc packs are made to fail sooner than later to me at least so we're forced to buy new ones ever 6 months or yearly.

Bigger battery+bigger motors=not much more flight time. Possibly these will be necessary to carry a larger gimbal/camera combo. I wonder if these projects are actually in the works with 3dr or if they are coming from 3rd party companies showing interest in the made for solo program. Either way, it would be cool if I could fly my a6000!
R3AP37 (on this forum) posted earlier that he and a team were woking on a "stamina kit" for Solo that incorporated an additional "underslung" battery and larger motors. No more detail than that..

Last edited:
That is probably why the manual says to discharge to 40 percent if you are going to store the batteries. RTFM.

Lipos should be stored at 50% capacity. I keep my solo batts full but I fly at least once a week. If they are going to sit more than two weeks, they need to be at 50%.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig