Gimbal Jittering when tilted to lower than 45°

• Thread starter Deleted member 11919
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11919

I have a problem with my solo that whenever I tilt my gimbal below about the 45 degree mark it the footage is all wobbly and unusable. Any suggestions?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK. I think I might try balancing my props. I've been reading about it and I think I may solve my problem. I have my HDMI cable routed pretty good so I don't think its that. If prop balancing doesn't fix it I might try the extension you were talking about.

The gimbal is shifting right and left, your getting an effect of rolling shudder...aka jello. Have you done anything to the gimbal to stabilize it? Like ear plugs, moon gel or other "treatment".

Here's a slow motion example showing the gimbal's movement...with what I believe are ear plugs installed in the isolators. The gimbal is already too stiff, which is not what you are wanting.

The only thing I've done so far is installing a fresh pair of gimbal dampeners. Might try some moon gel. Do you know why its only causing jello below the 45° mark?

It may be an imbalance in the gimbal. Your shifting the weight when you tilt down. The gimbal will tend to ride on a pair of isolators when this happens. The hdmi cable can contribute to the imbalance.

Then at nadir you had some as well, kind of tells me the problem, the image should be very stable at this angle. Could be that you just need more time with the new dampeners, break-in period. Keep flying...

The only thing I've done so far is installing a fresh pair of gimbal dampeners. Might try some moon gel. Do you know why its only causing jello below the 45° mark?

Most grommets have way too much left-right or lateral sway. When aimed down you are really going to see that type of sideways motion. For me anything other than moongel is second best. Cut in half the long way and half a moongel pushed inside each grommet.
I also removed the rock hard PVC insulation on the HDMI cable and wrapped it with clear packaging tape. That could always be an additional problem but not as likely the main one.

Thanks for posting. I'll have a look this evening at home, office bandwidth is horrible...

ETA: Nice vid @skyhax , so moon gel in the dampeners....hmmm.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I'll have a look this evening at home, office bandwidth is horrible...
Do you fly a lot on dusty locations, or do you land outdoors without a pad?

I know I had to clean the inside of my gimbal housing out since so much dirt and dust had become trapped in there causing the gimbal to "chatter" when I was sweeping from 0deg to 90deg, with a noticeable slowdown in movement. The dust had collected on the ribbon cables and the (Teflon?) slippery tape lining the inside of the housing. Wiping both clean cleared that up for me.

I've experienced the same dust accumulation, a little compressed air and all clean.

Not the problem that the OP is having however. His starts shaking when angled down below 45

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I replaced the dampeners since one had a bend in it so I figured that could possible fix the problem.
So the problem persisted prior to replacing the dampeners....Sounds like your install has other issues...Like mentioned before, either the hdmi or the gimbal data cable is influencing the gimbal's balance on the isolators.

I'll try filming without the HDMI not plugged in and start the GoPro manual to find out which wire is causing it

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150