Gimbal HDMI ribbon causing Rolling video?

So after swapping out the new cards for the stock, I had the same problem with bad video. Looking at where the antenna wire was going (right beside the bus, or whatever those plug thingys are called) I thought it looked wrong (the one going to the far side of the body from the wifi card). I positioned it over the circuit board instead of under (which is probably where it was originally positioned), plugged the motors in and booted up. Perfect video. If your antenna wire's in the same spot, there's your problem.

I was going to say after putting controller back to stock same issue, but I didn't pay attention to antenna wire routing. I recall now as well that one of the ones plugged into the wifi card was glued alongside the card at one point. This might coincide with going over board as you said. I'll check it out. It looks like they used glue as a precaution as with the routing it gets quite right on those little wifi pull connectors. I guess them coming off in flight would be bad :( I don't even know what I'd use to clear the existing gummy glue to then reapply some of what type?

I don't even know what I'd use to clear the existing gummy glue to then reapply some of what type?

It's possibly hot glue, but certainly not hobby grade. You could test an area with a soldering iron to confirm. Haven't got to my antenna connections to say one way or another.

My stock Solo has always had a rock solid video feed until a couple of days ago. Now sometimes I get a black screen and intermittent video even at very close range. It's now completely hit and miss and very frustrating. Since it happened so suddenly I'm guessing a connection came loose or something. I'm hoping it works itself out but if it doesn't I'm going to open her up and check all the connections before I contact 3dr.

Hello @GMRVM & @John hill,
I think both of you are correct in the assumption of the ribbon cable. That's where the sync problem can start from.
@GMRVM, what question's did Tech. Support ask of you.

Thanks

SteveReno,
Tech support asked about my camera model (4 black) they asked if I had the latest GoPro firm ware (3.0) They had me cycle through multiple GoPro settings, 1080 @60, 30 etc. They had me connect multiple GoPro's to the gimbal. They had me check all the connections inside and out (unplug and replug) Eventually they had me disconnect the Gimbal completely and plug the the HDMI directly into the GoPro which gave me the Crystal clear video feed that I had prior to installing the gimbal. There might have been a couple of other things that I am forgetting but that was most of it. The new Gimbal is due to arrive tomorrow. It will be a 1 week turn around on the RMA if it shows up on time. Shipped directly from China.

SteveReno,
Tech support asked about my camera model (4 black) they asked if I had the latest GoPro firm ware (3.0) They had me cycle through multiple GoPro settings, 1080 @60, 30 etc. They had me connect multiple GoPro's to the gimbal. They had me check all the connections inside and out (unplug and replug) Eventually they had me disconnect the Gimbal completely and plug the the HDMI directly into the GoPro which gave me the Crystal clear video feed that I had prior to installing the gimbal. There might have been a couple of other things that I am forgetting but that was most of it. The new Gimbal is due to arrive tomorrow. It will be a 1 week turn around on the RMA if it shows up on time. Shipped directly from China.
Thanks GMR,
I called Tech. Support on Tuesday, She was very pleasant and eager to help. Explained why i thought it was HDMI cable, she agreed. She offered to receive my solo & return it ASAP "2 weeks" Then she also offered to send cable & i install it with instructions. since i opened the bird already before, it sounded easy, so i opted for the cable. it will be here on Friday.
Also, said that 3DR will extend the warranty on this particular item, so as in the future, if again a problem, warranty will cover it.
Got to love 3DR!

Thanks again

She told me the cable is generic,
I was experimenting on this cable, a mod posted here. Ended up clipping a lead :oops:, Garbage now.

I expect the same stiff cable as before.
I will try re-route the cable with the least tension possible, easy to do so cause Solo's main board will be practically out if the shell.

I know I saw someone else post this same problem but can't find it now. I Just installed the Gimbal, now I have a glitchy rolling video feed on my Ipad mini (like an old VHS tape in a VCR that needs tracking). I took everything apart 3 times and made sure all connections were good (fully plugged in) and cables were not obstructing anything or each other (removed battery tray). I am using a GoPro Hero 4 black with latest firmware. SOLO App software is up to date. Talked to tech support and I am pretty sure I got the least knowledgable guy they had (I felt like I was walking him though the trouble shooting). His solution was to start an RMA and send it back (presumed faulty HDMI Ribbon). After waiting 4 months that sounds horrible. Anyone find a fix for this?

I am having the same problem. Have tried all the recommend ways on this forum to correct the issue with no luck at all.

Don't know if anybody is still reading this thread, but I just bought a solo. It arrived yesterday. I have the same rolling video described in this thread, exactly the same as the video sample somebody posted.

Seems like some people fixed it by rerouting a cable? Others had to send the gimbal back?

Has anybody (or 3DR?) figured out the root cause of this?

Don't know if anybody is still reading this thread, but I just bought a solo. It arrived yesterday. I have the same rolling video described in this thread, exactly the same as the video sample somebody posted.

Seems like some people fixed it by rerouting a cable? Others had to send the gimbal back?

Has anybody (or 3DR?) figured out the root cause of this?

Mine was caused by a faulty HDMI cable and I ended up sending it in. It works fine now. Get in touch with support, they will run you through some different things to check and hopefully a solution. If it is like mine they will send you an RMA and get you a new gimbal. Good luck.

I saw a video about installing one of those thin hdmi cables...but you have to disassemble the whole thing. How does that affect the warranty?

I know I saw someone else post this same problem but can't find it now. I Just installed the Gimbal, now I have a glitchy rolling video feed on my Ipad mini (like an old VHS tape in a VCR that needs tracking). I took everything apart 3 times and made sure all connections were good (fully plugged in) and cables were not obstructing anything or each other (removed battery tray). I am using a GoPro Hero 4 black with latest firmware. SOLO App software is up to date. Talked to tech support and I am pretty sure I got the least knowledgable guy they had (I felt like I was walking him though the trouble shooting). His solution was to start an RMA and send it back (presumed faulty HDMI Ribbon). After waiting 4 months that sounds horrible. Anyone find a fix for this?
I also had this problem rolling video. Called Solo and they finally had me send unit in. They had it back in my hands in 2 weeks. They replaced my switch board and 3 motors. Its much better, but I still get rolling video sometimes. Not fixed but yes better. Hope this helps. I also did everything you mentioned by trouble shooting. I would say its the HDMI cable that needs some love. They also payed for shipping!

Mine is back in repair for the second time with the same issue. They replaced my hdmi cable. The video rolling had be significantly reduced but is still there. The told me they had no issues with it when they did a test flight, it might be my camera. I have tried several different cameras and still got the same video rolling results. I was also flying in the country around nothing but green pastures. No wifi interference.

Update: took the gimbal off and connected the gopro directly to solo's hdmi. Video feed looked great. Going through the gimbal makes it scrambled.

Notified B&H, looking to get a replacement gimbal.

B&H had my replacement gimbal in my hands in two days. Put it together and the video feed on my phone looks great!

So I took it to the back yard for a short, low altitude test...

Solo started drifting all over and then crashed into my fence. Ha! Dumb idea to test it in the back yard. Not a good view of the sky plus lots of wifi.

Had to wrench the props off, they were jammed. Live and learn.

Hey Nate, that's bad luck shit what a bummer well as you said should have taken it away, I won't fly mine at home I have flown many others but it's to expensive (well in Aus it is) to be mucking around where there is a lot of WiFi, but tell me did B&H tell you it was the cable that was at fault? Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig