Gimbal HDMI ribbon causing Rolling video?

Reaction score
I know I saw someone else post this same problem but can't find it now. I Just installed the Gimbal, now I have a glitchy rolling video feed on my Ipad mini (like an old VHS tape in a VCR that needs tracking). I took everything apart 3 times and made sure all connections were good (fully plugged in) and cables were not obstructing anything or each other (removed battery tray). I am using a GoPro Hero 4 black with latest firmware. SOLO App software is up to date. Talked to tech support and I am pretty sure I got the least knowledgable guy they had (I felt like I was walking him though the trouble shooting). His solution was to start an RMA and send it back (presumed faulty HDMI Ribbon). After waiting 4 months that sounds horrible. Anyone find a fix for this?

Reactions: Motoguy199
I know I saw someone else post this same problem but can't find it now. I Just installed the Gimbal, now I have a glitchy rolling video feed on my Ipad mini (like an old VHS tape in a VCR that needs tracking). I took everything apart 3 times and made sure all connections were good (fully plugged in) and cables were not obstructing anything or each other (removed battery tray). I am using a GoPro Hero 4 black with latest firmware. SOLO App software is up to date. Talked to tech support and I am pretty sure I got the least knowledgable guy they had (I felt like I was walking him though the trouble shooting). His solution was to start an RMA and send it back (presumed faulty HDMI Ribbon). After waiting 4 months that sounds horrible. Anyone find a fix for this?
Thats a new one. Both of mine have always kinda done that when I hit record, but just for a second, and then it is OK. Sounds like a call to 3DR

Last edited:
My rolling Video never stops, so I'm hoping someone else has been there and has a nice simple fix........

Anything short of an RMA and a second wait for a gimbal.....

Did you try using a different device and see if you got the same result ?

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Also tried a Hero3+ black. Also scrambled rolling video.

Thanks for giving it a shot. Heres what it looks like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm getting the same or close to the same effect.. Compared without the gimbal, it was ok. ??? I also don't want to RMA, something that took 3 month to get!

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6
May be interference from gimbal cable & HDMI cable being in close proximity of each other? Re route cables.
Also read the beta Solo app has positive results in rolling or shuttering problems.

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

3DR do have some gimbals ready for RMAs, there's at least a couple of people I've seen have RMAs turned around in under a week, worst case seems to be 2 weeks.

@GMRVM Possibly you could change your start sequence to allow a corrective action. There are some recommendations here on the forum to what and when a given device is started - i.e. controller, solo, GP, app. Would be worth a try if you haven't already. I'm not sure of the recommended order...as I haven't had an issue as you've described.

I have found I need to turn off and on my GP4B when I do a battery swap. This appears to be a GP issue rather than Solo, based on my opinion only...

@GMRVM Possibly you could change your start sequence to allow a corrective action. There are some recommendations here on the forum to what and when a given device is started - i.e. controller, solo, GP, app. Would be worth a try if you haven't already. I'm not sure of the recommended order...as I haven't had an issue as you've described.

I have found I need to turn off and on my GP4B when I do a battery swap. This appears to be a GP issue rather than Solo, based on my opinion only...

The strict start up sequence has definitely worked for me on occasions when I had a black or absent video feed, but this appears to be something different and doesn't seem to change with a change of the start up routine. I get a perfect video feed if I remove the gimbal and plug the HDMI directly into the Gopro 4 Black.

Update:
Followed manual suggestions, when no video on monitor & it worked, so far. Manual suggest to set up to 1080/30 then 720/60 then I set to my recording res. 2.7/60 . installed camera back for each setting, but video to come back till 720. It's juggling the resolution around to update something in Solo/controller, guess. But video seem a bit slower then without gimbal. Gimbal working perfect out the box. Just if anyone else having problems with no video or rolling video, check the help info on the Solo app.

Update:
Doesn't work! Dam!
RMA i guess. Thought it was the hostapd.conf mod, but no difference.
May not be the Gimbal, removed it & replaced with stock holder. same problem. Bad HDMI cable?

Last edited:
Reactions: Del

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig