FYI, 3DR does not repair or sell parts for the gimbal.

Wait... doesn't repair their own product?
How do you know this?

3DR seems to be fixing Solos tho I don't have personal experience with that.

But as for the gimbal... I asked.

Hi Javier,
Is it posable to get a replacement motor or does 3DR offer gimbal repairs?
It may fix its self yet. Slowly getting better.
Tony

And this is the response I received.

Javier Sosa (3D Robotics)

Nov 9, 12:56 PM

Hey, Tony, wonderful day!
Unfortunately, 3DR does not offer gimbal repairs nor the replacement for the motors on the gimbal, sorry. If you would like I can offer you a 15% off a new replacement gimbal.

Best regards,

Javier Sosa
[ 3DR Technical Support Engineer]
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

I'm think a cover like this over the gimbal motor will help protect it from sand, IMG_1596.jpg

Ok, I contacted support about this. Apparently it's all about pilot error...

Ivan (3D Robotics)

Nov 10, 3:46 PM

Hello Marich,

I hope you are doing great!

We do not offer repair for the Gimbal if it is a pilot error. We could offer a small discount for a new one or of course, Technical support.

If it is an issue on the hardware or software in the drone or gimbal itself, of course, we would replace it for you because it has a warranty.

But in a way, he is right.

◤Ivan Ruvalcaba
Customer Service Advocate
3D Robotics
Supporting you 24/7
(858)225-1414
(855) 982-2898

Not really sure I follow the logic though...

It was my fault. If it was defective or damaged by a fault in the solo or software. They would replace it. I think the fact they offered me a discount on a new one was outstanding.
I had asked if I could remove the motor for cleaning and he said it could not be taken apart because it is laser welded. It may have been a miscommunication. I just wanted to get it out for better access for cleaning, I tried but I could not find a way to remove it. It has a bearing on each side of the circuit board. So it could be that the gimbal is a R&R part

I'm not getting it? Cover looks cool though. So we won't be able to get parts for the gimbal? I've got to say, part of the reason I went with a Solo was the American tag. Seems that I've got to wait quite a long time to get my motor pods because they're coming from China? Cant we make anything in this country anymore?

Jerry

Weird. I crashed mine into a tree and broke a connector off the gimbal board when it hit the ground. I got a return authorization from 3DR and living in San Diego, I dropped it off in person, expecting them to repair it. Instead, about three weeks later I got a new one in the mail. The tech said they don't repair gimbals. why I got one for free I don't know. Lucky I guess. But in the future if it breaks again, I'll be pretty pissed if I have to buy another one.

Weird. I crashed mine into a tree and broke a connector off the gimbal board when it hit the ground. I got a return authorization from 3DR and living in San Diego, I dropped it off in person, expecting them to repair it. Instead, about three weeks later I got a new one in the mail. The tech said they don't repair gimbals. why I got one for free I don't know. Lucky I guess. But in the future if it breaks again, I'll be pretty pissed if I have to buy another one.
Was your solo and Gimbal still under warranty ??

Original post is correct. 3dr does not repair gimbals. If it is under warranty they will replace it, not repair it. Out of warranty, I was told I have to buy a new gimbal, no discount offered.

I've had issues with my gimbal not staying level. They told me to buy a new one. I had one minor crash that I don't believe was my fault, but the tech guy must believe so. I guess because I was flying near trees and it suddenly flew away and into a building, it was my error. I spent hours emailing back and forth, downloading logs, posting video etc. so that he could analyze the crash... not help me figure out what was wrong with the gimbal. He recommended I fly in an open area and if I continue having trouble with the gimbal that I buy a new one. He did say that they do not fix gimbals. Pretty lame if you ask me since it cost almost half as much as the bird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado