Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

Ive got the drone pan app I will try one tomorrow and let you know

was thinking about it, and have seen panos done by folks that I know have modded lenses
I am guessing the stitching overlap may resolve it

I bought the 3.87mm and 4.35mm lenses from GitUp. I attached a picture taken with the 4.35mm (some editing done). The 3.87mm lens distorted the horizon a little bit when the camera was at a 45° angle and I'm not happy with that. The 4.35mm lens seems much better. Some plumber's tape was needed to secure both lenses, especially the 4.35mm lens which focused after one turn or so. I paid $90 with shipping included for both lenses ($40 for the 3.87mm and $50 for the 4.35mm). It shipped from Singapore and took about 2 weeks to get to Illinois.

Attachments

• GOPR2355_edited.JPG
    GOPR2355_edited.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 43
Reactions: pyrate
Wondered about those
been comparing yuneec 4K video to mine with the Peau 3.97
at this point I am still happiest with the 3.97 footage

I don't have the time right now to read the entire thread, again, so let me ask straight up:

Is there a "cheap" Chinese lens in the 3.8mm - 3.97mm range, that can compete to the ones from Peau!?

Thanks.

I don't have the time right now to read the entire thread, again, so let me ask straight up:

Is there a "cheap" Chinese lens in the 3.8mm - 3.97mm range, that can compete to the ones from Peau!?

Thanks.

I bought the 3.8mm from this website:

1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount Low-Distortion Board Lens for Drone Gopro 4

There are a few forum members that have invested in this lens.
There is minimal distortion with this lens. I'm very happy with it.
Price is USD$49 plus USD$30 Postage (to Australia).
This lens reveals 'pink corners'. Some people find that annoying. The lens profile of the GoPro can be removed with Peau's remote service (USD$50).
Hope this helps.

I bought the 3.8mm from this website:

1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount Low-Distortion Board Lens for Drone Gopro 4

There are a few forum members that have invested in this lens.
There is minimal distortion with this lens. I'm very happy with it.
Price is USD$49 plus USD$30 Postage (to Australia).
This lens reveals 'pink corners'. Some people find that annoying. The lens profile of the GoPro can be removed with Peau's remote service (USD$50).
Hope this helps.
Nikos,

Thanks for your reply and info. I will look into that lens.

G

Another short 3.8mm test clip. Unstabilized, shot at 2.7 48fps, rendered to 1080 30fps

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
Another short 3.8mm clip:

Reactions: RichWest
Another short 3.8mm clip:

Is it my PC or do I see a bunch of micro vibrations? If those are indeed micro vibrations, try adding just 2 - 5% of WARP stabilizer in Adobe Premiere. Makes a big difference.

Another GP4B 3.8mm, shot in 2.7k at 60fps stabilized, rendered to 30fps. Right side still soft after reinstalling the lens twice. Have a 4.35 coming in this week, hope to determine if the 3.8 is the problem or the camera sensor lens alignment.

Will post the results and some 4.35 footage when I can.

Reactions: RichWest
Another GP4B 3.8mm, shot in 2.7k at 60fps stabilized, rendered to 30fps. Right side still soft after reinstalling the lens twice. Have a 4.35 coming in this week, hope to determine if the 3.8 is the problem or the camera sensor lens alignment.

Will post the results and some 4.35 footage when I can.
Did you post a similar video month ago? I could have sworn that I have seen this video month ago?!

I think these lenses are a bit of a roll of he dice.
QC seems all over the place, which might be another good reason to buy from Peau, if they get a bad one you can put it back on them

I think these lenses are a bit of a roll of he dice.
QC seems all over the place, which might be another good reason to buy from Peau, if they get a bad one you can put it back on them
In the (hopefully very) near future, we are going to look back and laugh at these almost comical, ridiculous lengths we are struggling with just to have a friggin rectilinear cheap sensor camera attached to our $2000(all in ) flying robot packages....its really absurd that we have to jump through these hoops..come on 3DR, come on gopro....

you are not a fan of the journey are you?
the journey is life man, what fun would life be without journey

if the journey includes ripping the lens out of a brand new $500 toy camera and ends with soft focus, pink edges, misaligned whtevr,,,then,...i hate that journey

LOL
you make that sound soooo bad
it is not that bad, plus I ended up just sending mine to Peau
finished moved on to the next leg in the journey

Reactions: jibcamera
First for me

First time for me, just shot Saturday.
Copy that...
In the (hopefully very) near future, we are going to look back and laugh at these almost comical, ridiculous lengths we are struggling with just to have a friggin rectilinear cheap sensor camera attached to our $2000(all in ) flying robot packages....its really absurd that we have to jump through these hoops..come on 3DR, come on gopro....
Agreed.
you are not a fan of the journey are you?
the journey is life man, what fun would life be without journey
If you like journeys so much, give me all your money and belongings, and start a new journey... [emoji5]

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso