Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

I am sure they do, but they call it a secret for a reason
If you hold such secrets and post them on a public forum, you will most likely not stay privy to that information in the future

Recieved my 3.8 today and loving it, focused it pretty well on my new tv and plan to use the 110 ft you all came to tomorrow to be sure. Thanks again for all the info and expertise fellas.

@Adimuzio513 if you have a sample picture from the GoPro in full res I'd love to see how sharp your edges are ;) Mine are not that great.

Here is a sample from that new 4.35mm courtesy of alexf1852 @ rcg. it looks good and he hasn't had his lens profile removed and i see no pink eye.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
I ordered a 3.8 lens from aliexpress for about 60$ : 1/2.3" 3.8MM Lens 16Megapixel M12 Mount Low Distortion for Gopro 4 Black Camera 2016 Newly Coming-in CCTV Lenses from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

gopro.jpg

swap.jpg

Very happy of the result :

Rainy day in the air :
aer.jpg

aer2.jpg

Hand held :

1g.jpg

4g.jpg

2g.jpg

3g.jpg

Last edited:
Do you still see the left leg with a 3.8 mm lens!?

Thanks.
On the stock lens, I never saw a leg unless on Wide. With the 3 aftermarket lenses I have tried, I always shoot in wide and no legs are visible.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I agree you can't see legs on the 3.8mm.

I forgot to mention, I've just got the new 4.35mm 16MP version, it's pin sharp.

Newly 4.35MM Lens F2.8 16MP HFOV 72D 13G 1/2.3" M12 Mount Low Distortion for GoPro/SJCAM/Xiaomi Yi Camera 2016 Hot Coming-in CCTV Lenses from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here's a 2K video example of using the lens:

Reactions: Jubalr
Very nice Ian. Sharp lens and nice time lapse at the end. I assume that was you running up the hill?

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Very nice Ian. Sharp lens and nice time lapse at the end. I assume that was you running up the hill?
No it wasn't me running up the hill, I wish; it knackered me out just walking up it. :D:p

The lens looks sharp, I think the flare will be nice but the sun was hazy that day so I couldn't get in on video. I'd recommend a lens hood though as the lens does pick up light from sources at the side of it.

Reactions: pyrate
What I found interesting in the last two examples, was it appears the 4.3 has no pink, and the 3.8 does
can someone shoot some video of just a plain white background to see if there is pink in that condition on the 4.3

I think pink when it does show is more obvious against clouds. I'm going to keep using this lens so I'll post video as and when I do.

I find pink easy enough to remove in post so I'm most interested in sharpness and lens flare.

On the stock lens, I never saw a leg unless on Wide. With the 3 aftermarket lenses I have tried, I always shoot in wide and no legs are visible.
Interesting. I see the left leg when shooting in 4k, and 4k doesn't have a narrow profile. I forgot if I see the leg in 2.7k!? Anyhow, I am going to change the lens as I would like to be able to shoot in 4k, without having to crop the image later, in order to get the leg out of the way...

Thanks.

I think pink when it does show is more obvious against clouds. I'm going to keep using this lens so I'll post video as and when I do.

I find pink easy enough to remove in post so I'm most interested in sharpness and lens flare.
How to do it? remove in post

I have the profile removed so for me it is trying to determine if there is enough IQ improvement over the 3.97

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150