Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

@franknitty69. How did the downloaded lens profile removal work for you? Easy, no problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not the easiest thing to use. i had to try at least 20 times on 2 different computers and finally it took. during my tries the app was updated about 3 times so hopefully by now all of the issues i had have been resolved. would i pay for it again...of course.

fyi, the process is irreversible if you do it remotely. so if you want to go back to a stock lens you will get a green/blue vignette.

@franknitty69 is there a profile for each lens or just one applied for every lens?

I currently have a PeauPro82 and looking at getting the 3.8mm lens. I'm tossing up putting the 3.8mm in my PeauPro82 or my spare stock lens GoPro4B.

the profile is either on or off, off it will work for the flat lenses
on it works for gopro or fisheye lenses

@franknitty69 is there a profile for each lens or just one applied for every lens?

I currently have a PeauPro82 and looking at getting the 3.8mm lens. I'm tossing up putting the 3.8mm in my PeauPro82 or my spare stock lens GoPro4B.

From what I can see PeauProductions doesn't have a profile for the 3.8mm lens.

I believe pete had the PeauPro82 with profile removed for the 3.97mm lens. He replaced that lens with the 3.8mm lens, and from what I could see in his videos ...no pink corners to be seen. Look back through this thread at pete's videos and you be the judge.

I'm looking at having the profile removed for my 3.8mm lens in the near future.

Last edited:
Anyone know what you call the tool that PeauProductions uses to screw and unscrew the lens with? I watched them use it in one of the videos it looks like some type of rubber ratchet / clamp that opens up.

From what I can see PeauProductions doesn't have a profile for the 3.8mm lens.

I believe pete had the PeauPro82 with profile removed for the 3.97mm lens. He replaced that lens with the 3.8mm lens, and from what I could see in his videos ...no pink corners to be seen. Look back through this thread at pete's videos and you be the judge.

I'm looking at having the profile removed for my 3.8mm lens in the near future.

profiles are not lens specific
they exising profile is on or off
On for the stock lens
Off for after market flat lenses

Once you take it off you cannot put it back on

Anyone know what you call the tool that PeauProductions uses to screw and unscrew the lens with? I watched them use it in one of the videos it looks like some type of rubber ratchet / clamp that opens up.

I took a pair of proper size channel locks and then put heat shrink on the clampy parts
Not a scratch on my lens

Once you take it off you cannot put it back on
If Peau themselves remove the lens profile (by sending the camera in to them), they store a backup of the profile on their servers and they CAN restore it back on your gopro (you'd have to send it in again). I doubt that is the case if you buy a pre-modded camera from them, but I don't know.

If you use their software solution to remove the profile, it's gone forever and can't be restored. No backup is made during this process. The profiles are specific to the individual camera, so once it's gone it's gone. That said, I'm not sure why anyone would want to restore it unless they wanted to put the original lens back on and sell the gopro.

If Peau themselves remove the lens profile (by sending the camera in to them), they store a backup of the profile on their servers and they CAN restore it back on your gopro (you'd have to send it in again).

If you use their software solution to remove the profile, it's gone forever and can't be restored. No backup is made during this process. The profiles are specific to the individual camera, so once it's gone it's gone. That said, I'm not sure why anyone would want to restore it unless they wanted to put the original lens back on and sell the gopro.

@PdxSteve I'm also wondering why you would put it back. If you sell the GoPro your probably selling it with the lens. Why would you sell it if it's perfectly good and you like the lens? So I can't see a reason why I'd want to have a backup of the stock lens profile.

Well, when the gopro 5 comes out (?!?!) most likely I'll be selling my 2 GP4's. I have one modded and one with the stock lens. I'd want to keep my 3.97 lens for the new gopro, so I'd want to put the original back on along with the profile to sell.

I might be dead before GP5 is out! Maybe there could be better lenses by then? But you've got me, I now see a scenario when you would want the profile restored. But having to send it to Peau on the otherside of the Pacific is a PITA. I've got the 3.8mm coming and I'm thinking I can either take out the 3.97mm in my PeauPro82 or replace the stock in my spare GP4B.

I'm not that happy with the 3.97 edges are soft and there is distortion when I was sold it on the basis that it doesn't. I always shooting surfing and there is always a horizon in some shots and the distortion is a dead giveaway in them.

Are you sure it's focused properly, and for infinity? I love my 3.97 and so does everyone else I know who has one. One could hope they use a different lens on the GP5 (rectilinear), but I doubt it.

Yes, I can see it not being feasible to send from AU lol. They're in the state just below me, so I'm a lot closer :)

I bought it from Peau and assumed it was focused properly but I'm not convinced. My guess is that I got a dud lens like @pete. I bought it around the same time he did wonder if it was a bad batch. Cost me over AUD$1000 I'm pretty pissed with it to tell you the truth. My stock lens looks better on my spare GP4B except for the fisheye.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc