Dear 3DR I love pixhawk FC and used it for years,, But Solo *********

Haters will be Haters. Old people... well they are old. Someone once told me... "Accept change or get left behind, your choice".

If anyone has a bashed Solo, By now I'm sure there it's 1or 2.
I would like to know what happens if you move the stock GPS reciever about 4 to 6 inch vertical from its position just to get it away from other electronics and motor mag field..

If the signal gets better and things smooth out that would be a good indication that there is an internal RF or other noise issues coming from withing Solo causing signal issues... maybe changing out the reciever isn't the answer just relocation the stock unit in a vertical sence.

Magnetic interference and the RF will not affect the GPS receiver unless it is very strong. The only reason for using a mast or some kind of foil is if the GPS board also contains a compass.

Last edited:
Magnetic interference and the RF will not affect the GPS receiver unless it is very strong. The only reason for using a mast or some kind of foil is if the GPS board also contains a compass.
You are perfectly capable to measure how much of the horizon is blocked by the battery. Oh and proximity to gopro which is a known RF emitter.

Lan and Philip are correct . The u7 with a narrow band antenna is often better suited for UAVs than the U8 using a generic broadband GPS/GLONASS antenna for the reasons already stated. Many here often confuse the number of satellites acquired (more satellites acquired is always better) as the single determining factor when determining the performance of a GPS or GLONASS module when in practice it is not necessarily always the number of actual satellites but the consistency of the positional data being received by the FC and the intelligence within the FC to process that satellite positional data combined with additional data form the IMU(s) and Baro(s) that is the real determination of positional accuracy when flying in GPS modes.

So let's just say that gps is great with a 7 or 8 then the software is obviously not up to standard in filtering. And I'm just gonna throw out the fact that everyone else has gps quads in the air and aren't having this issue. So where is the failure. Hardware or software? Because if it's software and drone code and arducopter are big open development platforms there should be alot of copy paste between the companies involved. Can you in the time since the June release not get the software fixed? Well no not if it's largely related to hardware or its placement.

Well considering
that the compass is in the leg of the Solo and the GPS reciever is in close proximity of other electronics something is interfering with the gps signal.

So again an easy way to see would be to move the reciever vertical away from everything and it's easy enough done.
If the problems goes away then one would know that there is something on the Solo pc board radiating something that the gps reciever doesn't like...

So let's just say that gps is great with a 7 or 8 then the software is obviously not up to standard in filtering. And I'm just gonna throw out the fact that everyone else has gps quads in the air and aren't having this issue. So where is the failure. Hardware or software? Because if it's software and drone code and arducopter are big open development platforms there should be alot of copy paste between the companies involved. Can you in the time since the June release not get the software fixed? Well no not if it's largely related to hardware or its placement.
I've been flying with 2 Solos (1 is mine, 1 a mate's) with the NEO-7N and they're both locking and working fine with GPS, one I left the NEO-7N internal, the other I made external. I found on modding the shielding on the internal one, it locks almost as fast as the one on the mast which it wasn't doing initially, then again the copper was touching the ublox.

There was a clear difference initially, I'll time them again with the mod, but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Solo uses a strict pre-arm check including code not in the main Arducopter branch, unless it's been merged in a recent 3.3. The Solo Arducopter checks the sAcc (Speed Accuracy) from the the ublox, where normal Arducopter simply allows take off with HDOP less than 2 which actually isn't a good check as HDOP by the time it's bad it's already too late.

I've been flying with 2 Solos (1 is mine, 1 a mate's) with the NEO-7N and they're both locking and working fine with GPS, one I left the NEO-7N internal, the other I made external. I found on modding the shielding on the internal one, it locks almost as fast as the one on the mast which it wasn't doing initially, then again the copper was touching the ublox.

There was a clear difference initially, I'll time them again with the mod, but it's not priority for me at the moment.

The Solo uses a strict pre-arm check including code not in the main Arducopter branch, unless it's been merged in a recent 3.3. The Solo Arducopter checks the sAcc (Speed Accuracy) from the the ublox, where normal Arducopter simply allows take off with HDOP less than 2 which actually isn't a good check as HDOP by the time it's bad it's already too late.
Ian
Thanks for the info I'm glad someone tried this.
Well so much for the
( Magnetic interference and the RF will not affect the GPS receiver unless it is very strong. The only reason for using a mast or some kind of foil is if the GPS board also contains a compass.)

Something inside Solo is radiating strong enough to interfere with the GPS receiver what it is ??
I wonder if there in anything inside the smart battery that 3DR is using for what ever reason that would cause a problem..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian [P13]
Ian
Thanks for the info I'm glad someone tried this.
Well so much for the
( Magnetic interference and the RF will not affect the GPS receiver unless it is very strong. The only reason for using a mast or some kind of foil is if the GPS board also contains a compass.)

Something inside Solo is radiating strong enough to interfere with the GPS receiver what it is ??
I wonder if there in anything inside the smart battery that 3DR is using for what ever reason that would cause a problem.. I cant see it being possible or having any coil or windings in the battery case but at this point you never can tell.
With the shielding 4mm away from the ublox I think it does the trick, I'd have to time it but I'm sure there's seconds of difference now where as you can see before it was a minute and there was a noticeable difference in the number of satellites locked and the HDOP.

The GoPro is noisy and does affect GPS units, so it could be a potential cause.

With the shielding 4mm away from the ublox I think it does the trick, I'd have to time it but I'm sure there's seconds of difference now where as you can see before it was a minute and there was a noticeable difference in the number of satellites locked and the HDOP.

The GoPro is noisy and does affect GPS units, so it could be a potential cause.

Yes the gopro has been an issue long before the Solo concept. even with the wifi off in many cases.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Gang,

I'm a newbie at UAV's/quad's - however let me chime in. You can see my other post in Solo's ability to EAT trees and bushes at low ALT (I won't re-post here). However as a design engineer, I can state... 3DR will be a great product. If you have ever been invovled with a new product going up with some serious competiion like DJI and dealing with investors, marketing, and "get the thing out the door, I don't care if it's not ready" <- marketing. I tell them as an engineer to "pound sand, or suffer later".

Add: I've been in R/C since winning 12'th scale R/C electric cars in early 80's, the A 'main' in Florida. And, I built a full sized all machined aluminum R2-D2 screen accurate droid, controlled with a DX-18 with a Linux mini-PC on board, and yes.. it's fully operational. Not to metion fully operational F/A-18, F/A-16 WST, OFT and full flight simulator for the US military for 20+ years as a designer/engineer.

All I can say is 3DR is an awesome company going though some growing pains, even though my Solo has had 7 low level fly-aways and crashes, costing me 11 ea. props and really started to make me raise an eyebrow. But you know what, I believe in this company and that it will prevail or at least match the market point. A few key things as being a 'newbie' to UAV's and 3DR in general as a company:

1) Awesome support - bitch if you want, but I have had ALL my issues solved. My GIMBAL got shipped today.

2) The design of Solo itself. Even though I'm 'new' to this particular, Solo is exactly the way I would have designed a UAV if I had a hand in it on the development cycle/team:
  • Robust chassis (7 crashes and mine is fine...) BTW: props will strip bark off of tree's and bushes
  • Easy to work on
  • Marketing/Branding IMHO was spot on, been there, done that
  • Design of the 3DR Solo Backpack? Are you kidding me, awesome job
  • Ton's of support sites, if you do not believe then you need to search
  • Open Source - they just posted a development link in case you missed it
  • They ARE hiring, if you want to help out
Do I know anymore, not really. Been in development of multi-million simulators for our Military Pilots, this product here.. is a cake walk.

Contribute to 3DR, they _will_ make it - I'm betting on it. Don't get me wrong about the other white company - I also hope they do well. Competition in the market is good for product development and furthering our options on what to buy.

When you see my accessory bay modification's I'm working on = do THAT with the other company.

Cheers

Gang,

I'm a newbie at UAV's/quad's - however let me chime in. You can see my other post in Solo's ability to EAT trees and bushes at low ALT (I won't re-post here). However as a design engineer, I can state... 3DR will be a great product. If you have ever been invovled with a new product going up with some serious competiion like DJI and dealing with investors, marketing, and "get the thing out the door, I don't care if it's not ready" <- marketing. I tell them as an engineer to "pound sand, or suffer later".

Add: I've been in R/C since winning 12'th scale R/C electric cars in early 80's, the A 'main' in Florida. And, I built a full sized all machined aluminum R2-D2 screen accurate droid, controlled with a DX-18 with a Linux mini-PC on board, and yes.. it's fully operational. Not to metion fully operational F/A-18, F/A-16 WST, OFT and full flight simulator for the US military for 20+ years as a designer/engineer.

All I can say is 3DR is an awesome company going though some growing pains, even though my Solo has had 7 low level fly-aways and crashes, costing me 11 ea. props and really started to make me raise an eyebrow. But you know what, I believe in this company and that it will prevail or at least match the market point. A few key things as being a 'newbie' to UAV's and 3DR in general as a company:

1) Awesome support - bitch if you want, but I have had ALL my issues solved. My GIMBAL got shipped today.

2) The design of Solo itself. Even though I'm 'new' to this particular, Solo is exactly the way I would have designed a UAV if I had a hand in it on the development cycle/team:
  • Robust chassis (7 crashes and mine is fine...) BTW: props will strip bark off of tree's and bushes
  • Easy to work on
  • Marketing/Branding IMHO was spot on, been there, done that
  • Design of the 3DR Solo Backpack? Are you kidding me, awesome job
  • Ton's of support sites, if you do not believe then you need to search
  • Open Source - they just posted a development link in case you missed it
  • They ARE hiring, if you want to help out
Do I know anymore, not really. Been in development of multi-million simulators for our Military Pilots, this product here.. is a cake walk.

Contribute to 3DR, they _will_ make it - I'm betting on it. Don't get me wrong about the other white company - I also hope they do well. Competition in the market is good for product development and furthering our options on what to buy.

When you see my accessory bay modification's I'm working on = do THAT with the other company.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Chip
I have said in other forums that it has taken DJI years to get to were there at now and I had high hopes that 3DR would not have the issues that DJI has had.
As it is expected in this game a few issues with Solo is to be expected and is OK and that is not an issue.
But the issues it has had "not just one" many different issue for no rime or reason and there are a lot of people that have had NO issues at all..

So if its as simple as the mod that Ian has been testing to capture the GPS issue I would say that someone at 3DR missed a few days in there engineering class..

Ian & Chip
Move to California. LOL

Reactions: rrmccabe
This video has just been put out a few minutes ago, testing Ian Soler's 3D printed GPS shield, I think the test might be slightly flawed in that I'd have chosen more than one location with the mod in to make sure that the ublox hadn't cached any location data as that would bias the test. However, this is the mod, personally that I'd recommend as I did something similar for the internal modded Solo.

Update: I've asked Peter who made this video and he says this was his regular take off spot and it would always take 5-8 minutes, so with that in mind I'd still say his findings are fairly conclusive.

Note: you can put the original copper shield back on, I'd have at least put the side that shields the battery.

Last edited:
Well considering
that the compass is in the leg of the Solo and the GPS reciever is in close proximity of other electronics something is interfering with the gps signal.

So again an easy way to see would be to move the reciever vertical away from everything and it's easy enough done.
If the problems goes away then one would know that there is something on the Solo pc board radiating something that the gps reciever doesn't like...

Solo has three compasses. On in the leg, and two "internal" according to the 3dr website. I assumed (i could be wrong) that the other two were on the px4 and on the GPS board. This is how they have done it for years so it made sense to me.

There's no compass on the GPS, but you're correct there are three, one on the leg, I believe the other 2 are in the Pixhawk.

Solo has three compasses. On in the leg, and two "internal" according to the 3dr website. I assumed (i could be wrong) that the other two were on the px4 and on the GPS board. This is how they have done it for years so it made sense to me.
I think they should have added another GPS reciever while they were at it.

My experience to date exactly.
Out of curiosity are you guys running iOS or android? Never had a real solo problem just software not connecting or losing connectivity with solo recently after these android updates.
Please read again very closely
As I said before, ,, As per 3DR spec,,,
new Solo $999.95, Gimbal 399.95 and new gopro 4, $499.99,,, that is what is specified to be used with the Solo ,, That is 1899.89 round up to $1900.00.
Now add the cost of aftermarket wifi antennas and aftermarket GPS not including time and other materials for GPS instalation it will be over $2000.00
So yes,, $2000.00

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity are you guys running iOS or android? Never had a real solo problem just software not connecting or losing connectivity with solo recently after these android updates.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
I only updated once before sending solo back. Android tablet 10.5

Possibly the only issue with the GPS is the quality of the foil shielding they selected. In my opinion it's more like Mylar, thin...even with the backing paper. I prefer copper sheeting purposed for RF shielding, it cost more and bonds very well to whatever. The 3M shielding I offered up previously is thicker and is a denser grade of copper, classified as dead soft. It appears the kit Ian offered up has similar copper tape, which I believe is a great turn-key solution.

I went out tonight to my local spot and I was getting GPS lock prior to the app connecting to the wifi... It's amazing what a little effort and time will do to improve the experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44