Dear 3DR I love pixhawk FC and used it for years,, But Solo *********

Thanks for the info Chip
I have said in other forums that it has taken DJI years to get to were there at now and I had high hopes that 3DR would not have the issues that DJI has had.
As it is expected in this game a few issues with Solo is to be expected and is OK and that is not an issue.
But the issues it has had "not just one" many different issue for no rime or reason and there are a lot of people that have had NO issues at all..

So if its as simple as the mod that Ian has been testing to capture the GPS issue I would say that someone at 3DR missed a few days in there engineering class..

Ian & Chip
Move to California. LOL

Agreed,

However - as mentioned. Product development is a cycle, and you have to have someone - not in management to handle the horses, other wise you have a stampede that you cannot control. Then you start a new company to deal with it. Been there, done that. Give 3DR time, they should get it right.

[Edit] I love CA, backpacked, camped, explored all over that state. However, I cannot own the toy's I have here... too Lib for me. Beautiful area though, and LOVE it out there, and many friends.

Cheers

Reactions: Jubalr
This video has just been put out a few minutes ago, testing Ian Soler's 3D printed GPS shield, I think the test might be slightly flawed in that I'd have chosen more than one location with the mod in to make sure that the ublox hadn't cached any location data as that would bias the test. However, this is the mod, personally that I'd recommend as I did something similar for the internal modded Solo.

Update: I've asked Peter who made this video and he says this was his regular take off spot and it would always take 5-8 minutes, so with that in mind I'd still say his findings are fairly conclusive.

Note: you can put the original copper shield back on, I'd have at least put the side that shields the battery.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I'm not denying that folks have problems getting GPS lock, but I just can't reproduce the problem.

I tested my second Solo - brand new today out of the box. First lock took about 6 minutes, but the second lock took less than 30 seconds. 3rd and fourth lock took between 30 and 45 seconds. 5th lock seemed instantaneous.

Which all makes perfect sense. Of course the first lock will take a long time. It needs to build its database and cache the gps data. After that, everything is much faster. Same behavior as my Iris basically.

So now I have two stock Solos. Both get a lock in under 30 seconds most of the time. Maybe a little longer if I'm not completely out in the open, but never more than a minute.

Reactions: SloppyDingo
So now I have two stock Solos. Both get a lock in under 30 seconds most of the time. Maybe a little longer if I'm not completely out in the open, but never more than a minute.

If the copper shielding is installed correctly in the first place which should be the case with all Solos now then you wouldn't have a problem, so it's in no way 100% of Solo, just some.

Reactions: SloppyDingo
I've been flying with 2 Solos (1 is mine, 1 a mate's) with the NEO-7N and they're both locking and working fine with GPS, one I left the NEO-7N internal, the other I made external. I found on modding the shielding on the internal one, it locks almost as fast as the one on the mast which it wasn't doing initially, then again the copper was touching the ublox.

There was a clear difference initially, I'll time them again with the mod, but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Solo uses a strict pre-arm check including code not in the main Arducopter branch, unless it's been merged in a recent 3.3. The Solo Arducopter checks the sAcc (Speed Accuracy) from the the ublox, where normal Arducopter simply allows take off with HDOP less than 2 which actually isn't a good check as HDOP by the time it's bad it's already too late.

...and so you go ahead an point out that its a design flaw after defending the 7 vs 8 vs software by
the fact that you have to mod the shielding or put them external.

...and so you go ahead an point out that its a design flaw after defending the 7 vs 8 vs software by
the fact that you have to mod the shielding or put them external.
I've said from the outset and in about every GPS related mod thread on this forum, that's there's nothing wrong with the NEO-7N and if there is any genuine issue with the GPS on an individuals Solo 3DR will do an RMA where appropriate. I've also said anyone having a genuine issue is likely having the copper shielding (or their own modding material) touching the feedline.

It's not a design flaw at all, the shield is put on manually at the plant and I'm sure this issue was picked up and dealt will a good while since.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
Well of course there is nothing wrong with NEO-7N, U-Blox wouldnt have manufactured or sold any of them. The problem is in the implementation, which is botched.

The implementation isn't botched, only some Solos have had an issue due to this cause, 3DR will deal with it, should a Solo have this problem. It's a 5 minute job if someone wants to address it themselves.

The implementation isn't botched, only some Solos have had an issue due to this cause, 3DR will deal with it, should a Solo have this problem. It's a 5 minute job if someone wants to address it themselves.

Seriously Ian, your defending of the GPS implementation to the death is Not going to stand, especially with your association with the company... You've been helpful but now you've become a bit of a homer.

Not only are there acquisition problems, there are gps guidance problems, and a whole slew of other problems that the consumer, whether its 5 or 50% of them, should not be dealing with in a product marketed in this manner and at this price point given the time and delays already faced.

If they fixed the gimbal facing south issue, wheres the fix, 4 weeks later, really?

When I go buy a car, I don't have to go and pull the distributor cap next week to make sure its aligned properly.
When I go buy a PC I don't have to pull it apart to check DELL or ASUS s work.
When I order a cheeseburger it comes with cheese, right then and there.

Seriously Ian, your defending of the GPS implementation to the death is Not going to stand, especially with your association with the company... You've been helpful but now you've become a bit of a homer.

Not only are there acquisition problems, there are gps guidance problems, and a whole slew of other problems that the consumer, whether its 5 or 50% of them, should not be dealing with in a product marketed in this manner and at this price point given the time and delays already faced.

If they fixed the gimbal facing south issue, wheres the fix, 4 weeks later, really?

When I go buy a car, I don't have to go and pull the distributor cap next week to make sure its aligned properly.
When I go buy a PC I don't have to pull it apart to check DELL or ASUS s work.
When I order a cheeseburger it comes with cheese, right then and there.

You never expect to buy a defective product... But I know plenty of people (myself included) who have purchased any one of the items you listed only to have to return it, have work done, whatever. There are manufacturing flaws everywhere and there will always be a certain percentage that experience problems. This doesn't mean EVERYONE has a problem. There are plenty of accounts of people having no trouble with the solo GPS. Mine has obtained lock every time, with no mods... I even tried it with two powered on and recording gopros sitting on top of the battery...got lock in about 30 seconds. So question: what has 3DR told you (or anyone else that cares to answer) to do when you reported the issue to them?

You never expect to buy a defective product... But I know plenty of people (myself included) who have purchased any one of the items you listed only to have to return it, have work done, whatever. There are manufacturing flaws everywhere and there will always be a certain percentage that experience problems. This doesn't mean EVERYONE has a problem. There are plenty of accounts of people having no trouble with the solo GPS. Mine has obtained lock every time, with no mods... I even tried it with two powered on and recording gopros sitting on top of the battery...got lock in about 30 seconds. So question: what has 3DR told you (or anyone else that cares to answer) to do when you reported the issue to them?
first time I was blown off. The second I have measurements and data. The third I had video. The fourth I had video and a dead solo and go pro. The fifth was the second solo and I had to send video and data and will be getting a 3rd when the get around to shipping it.

first time I was blown off. The second I have measurements and data. The third I had video. The fourth I had video and a dead solo and go pro. The fifth was the second solo and I had to send video and data and will be getting a 3rd when the get around to shipping it.
You didn't really say what they told you... Just what you sent them. So they replaced it twice? Sounds pretty good to me... Let's hope your third one has what the others were lacking.

You didn't really say what they told you... Just what you sent them. So they replaced it twice? Sounds pretty good to me... Let's hope your third one has what the others were lacking.
That's part of the problem they don't tell you anything except for when they attempt to push blame on you, then you counter with evidence and they say ok we will have a look. They give no input back as you're then turned over to customer service. Customer service sends you a label and u send it in. There's no follow up to that. You get to email customer service back over and over trying to figure out if they have your stuff and when u might get it back.

That's part of the problem they don't tell you anything except for when they attempt to push blame on you, then you counter with evidence and they say ok we will have a look. They give no input back as you're then turned over to customer service. Customer service sends you a label and u send it in. There's no follow up to that. You get to email customer service back over and over trying to figure out if they have your stuff and when u might get it back.

Based on how you converse here, I could only imagine how you treat anyone at 3DR..good luck.

Reactions: erikgraham
Based on how you converse here, I could only imagine how you treat anyone at 3DR..good luck.
My thoughts as well. The two times I had to contact them (once for Iris+ and once for Solo) they were very helpful and responded within a day or two.

I was told on sept 12 send it back expedited we got your back... That was 12 days ago... It went back to them 2nd day air... they had it by 10AM on the 18th that's including a sunday and then 2 more days to get the RMA Label... I still don't have a tracking number for my expedited exchange.

So for the money I can happily say 3DR is not holding up their end of the deal.

From what I've read I'm now confused... folks saying the copper shielding is "thin".
Mine isn't! It's almost copper plate - actually hard to bend.

@Ian, can you fill me in on the proper shielding method here, or is there a forum/post on how to do this located elsewhere? I have all kinds of material.

Cheers

Anyone who has been into RC planes for a long time knows that these things are tricky, touchy, break often, and require a lot of tender care and attention to detail. Therefore when those folks complain about a rare but resolvable GPS issue, or 3DR canceling their first Solo order upon launch and then write off 3DR completely, it makes me question their expertise. You didn't fly your first RC plane, crash it and then go crying about the company all over the internet and say you'll never use their products again. You picked it up, fixed it, and were delighted when it flew it again.

The whining, complaining and hatred for the most trivial of issues has gotten so ridiculous in the drone community, its hard to comprehend. Issues are expected with new technology. 3DR has had excellent customer service with MOST folks who had issues and were reasonably understanding. DJI may have CS issues but they have solid products that most people are enjoying.

I personally really enjoy hearing everyones reviews (positive and negative), learning about fixes and workarounds and mods from the community, etc. But anyone who is trying so hard to let everyone know how much they know or how much of an expert they are, I read it with a grain of salt. Esepcially when anyone that experienced would know better than to write off the devices for some random issues, as if new technology is infallible or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc