Controlling GoPro during flight

Reaction score
Hello,

Been following the forum during my three month wait for my Solo gimbal from B & H. Finally received the gimbal last week and was generally happy with the performance but disappointed with the lack of control of the GoPro functionality during flight. Since 3DR pitched Solo as being the UAV that allows users to control the GoPro through its app, I assumed that at least meant there would be somewhat of a menu or options for direct control of the GoPro during flight. Me being an experienced videographer, but a noobie UAV operator, the control of the GoPro was what really sold me.

There's essentially no control over the GoPro other than Start/Stop Record. Both the DJI and Typhoon have some controls of aperture, ISO, etc... You can't even change the recording format (1080p, 2.7k, 4k) or frame rate without landing the solo, turning everything off, and taking the GoPro off the gimbal. I guess you could also just land the solo, turn off the solo wifi, then switch the to GoPro Wifi, but even then you have to take the GoPro out of the gimbal since there's no way to press the top button of the GoPro while in the gimbal in order to turn on the GoPro Wifi.

Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this, whether or not you think this is a dealbreaker at all, if you think firmware in the future with add some functionality, etc...

Appreciate your thoughts!

Doug

Hello,

Been following the forum during my three month wait for my Solo gimbal from B & H. Finally received the gimbal last week and was generally happy with the performance but disappointed with the lack of control of the GoPro functionality during flight. Since 3DR pitched Solo as being the UAV that allows users to control the GoPro through its app, I assumed that at least meant there would be somewhat of a menu or options for direct control of the GoPro during flight. Me being an experienced videographer, but a noobie UAV operator, the control of the GoPro was what really sold me.

There's essentially no control over the GoPro other than Start/Stop Record. Both the DJI and Typhoon have some controls of aperture, ISO, etc... You can't even change the recording format (1080p, 2.7k, 4k) or frame rate without landing the solo, turning everything off, and taking the GoPro off the gimbal. I guess you could also just land the solo, turn off the solo wifi, then switch the to GoPro Wifi, but even then you have to take the GoPro out of the gimbal since there's no way to press the top button of the GoPro while in the gimbal in order to turn on the GoPro Wifi.

Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this, whether or not you think this is a dealbreaker at all, if you think firmware in the future with add some functionality, etc...

Doug
They,re suppose to be adding full GoPro control and functionality in a future update. That being said, I believe that 3DR is missing one of the most crucial factors in the future of consumer quads and that is the total Apple approach of product development. You must build and develope both the hardware and the software together. This Frankinstien approach is a thing of the pass. 3DR needs to develope their own camera as well as gimbal system together. Exactly like the to great quad manufactures you mentioned.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Thanks for your response.

I'm glad to hear they plan on adding full GoPro control and functionality in future updates, I'm curious to see how promptly/effectively they will put that into place.

I respectfully disagree with your point about the necessity of the hardware and software together. As a videographer I was weary of the quality of the DJI camera and other quad company cameras. For example, I've heard the Typhoon camera has lots of issues with moire, especially when shooting brick buildings. This is especially problematic for real estate and event video, which are common uses for quads. Also, I've also seen lots of issues with rolling shutter with the DJI camera, especially when shooting in 4K. I'm not taking anything away from these cameras, especially since the entire setup of going from out of the box to actually flying and shooting is much simpler than purchasing a GoPro separately from the quad, this is just me being particular of the cameras themselves.

The fact that GoPro is a camera that has gone through several generations of cameras in order to get to the quality of the Hero 4 Black was the main appeal. Especially since the GoPros of the future will be improved and inherently a part of the Solo's firmware improvements.

Hello,

Doug

how do you start/stop the gopro via app? i cant find that button anywhere

Push the left gimbal button that tilts it up and down towards the controller. It might take two fingers.

Push the left gimbal button that tilts it up and down towards the controller. It might take two fingers.
just tried that on a Hero 4 black, button can push inward but doesn't start/stop the gopro recording

I also have a Hero 4 Black and it works for me. Maybe reseat your camera and cycle power/remove batteries? Is your GoPro firmware up to date?

I also have a Hero 4 Black and it works for me. Maybe reseat your camera and cycle power/remove batteries? Is your GoPro firmware up to date?
Factory resetted gopro back to 2.00, been hearing issues with updated gopros not able to get live view, etc.

I'll wait for the October update. At least that will state which version # 3dr's app will work for.

Hello,

Doug
I'm disappointed to with lack of camera controls, I'm hoping software upgrade will eventually add more controls. Have you sinked your GoPro to you phone or tablet, that gives you options to turn things on/off thru that device Only if wifi is on I believe.

no where does it say "push the left gimbal button down" to start.

using Hero4Black v2.00, it does not work.

talking w/ a guy from 3DR, he confirmed the left gimbal button but recommended an upgrade.

anyone who uses the left gimbal button to start/stop confirm model and version # for functionality?

They,re suppose to be adding full GoPro control and functionality in a future update. That being said, I believe that 3DR is missing one of the most crucial factors in the future of consumer quads and that is the total Apple approach of product development. You must build and develope both the hardware and the software together. This Frankinstien approach is a thing of the pass. 3DR needs to develope their own camera as well as gimbal system together. Exactly like the to great quad manufactures you mentioned.

If 3DR had developed their own camera, like you are suggesting, I would have never bought a SOLO. The number one reason I bought SOLO was because they didn't have their own camera and they were open source, so I knew third parties would be developing camera gear for SOLO. I trust GoPro and BlackMagic, I have no idea what's inside DJI's products.

But obviously I agree they are going to put themselves out of business real quickly if they don't have a come to Jesus moment and change their ways; which means new leadership, even on a contract basis.

Last edited:
haha ok, another answer...screenshot?

i dont see a record button anywhere on the solo app, and i've updated to the latest version.

no where does it say "push the left gimbal button down" to start.

using Hero4Black v2.00, it does not work.

talking w/ a guy from 3DR, he confirmed the left gimbal button but recommended an upgrade.

anyone who uses the left gimbal button to start/stop confirm model and version # for functionality?
I use the GPH4 and the press in the gimbal tilt control to start/stop recording. The GP has the latest firmware, I believe 3.0? Don't have it with me to check.

I have the GoPro 3+ Black, and I can record from my tablet screen, as well as from the left gimbal control on the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl