Colin Guinn webinar, I have to buy another Solo

I'm not sure "so many" is a good representation. There is a huge different in having a 1 in 1,000,000, 1:500 and 1:4 failure rate yet all of these could be stated as so many. Struggling and frustrated users do investigate, seek answers and share the pains more then when everything is just fine. I do believe the motors could use improvement however for me to judge I really like to see some data. Nothings is every perfect and there will be failures. What failure rate is reasonable and where does Solo fit on that scale.

Now if I lose another Solo due to a bad motor. I will say "F" the data because it's starting to get personal.lol

I loved the webinar. Colin knocked that one outta the park! However, I didn't get an answer on my "Will 3DR release a multi battery charging station?" question. I saw a 5 battery charger inside 3DR's flying cage at NAB and they were using it but when I asked if it was for sale the developer asked me how much I would pay for it. I said $350 and he just laughed. Never did get a clear answer on if or when this would get released other than "We're working on it." Still out of all the sUAS choices I saw at NAB, I'm soooo glad I went with SOLO.

However, I didn't get an answer on my "Will 3DR release a multi battery charging station?" question.

I think you'll find the answer is no. 3DR is not going to release a multi-battery charger. However, someone else, a MFS developer certainly can. 3DR has better things to worry about IMO.

I think it's just motors getting bound and popping ESCs mostly. Otherwise they're pretty specced out... besides DOA / QC issues I guess.

I watched the Webminar, its awesome.
Its obvious Collin knows aerial movie making VERY well and the related sports using drones or the needs of movie makers.

Solo is surely here to stay...nice !!!

I personally think collision avoidance though it is nice, but it is not that useful at its current low tech stage. I agree with Collins.
Indoor , collision avoidance maybe useful,...but not for outdoor , for someone who is willing to use enough logic & common sense.
The REWIND feature will be a controller-lost connection safety net and avoid the collision potential of direct RTL.

I found this by accident :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I then recalled that Solo's gimbal is not stand alone, but managed by also the flight computer. I guess it makes more sense to why the gimbal can do programmed movie move that well.

Is it true Lichi can't do what Solo Apps can do as per above video?

I watched the Webminar, its awesome.
Its obvious Collin knows aerial movie making VERY well and the related sports using drones or the needs of movie makers.

Solo is surely here to stay...nice !!!

I personally think collision avoidance though it is nice, but it is not that useful at its current low tech stage. I agree with Collins.
Indoor , collision avoidance maybe useful,...but not for outdoor , for someone who is willing to use enough logic & common sense.
The REWIND feature will be a controller-lost connection safety net and avoid the collision potential of direct RTL.

I found this by accident :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I then recalled that Solo's gimbal is not stand alone, but managed by also the flight computer. I guess it makes more sense to why the gimbal can do programmed movie move that well.

Is it true Lichi can't do what Solo Apps can do as per above video?
I have been flying for many years, and I'm still not sure what some of the hype is with collision avoidance, except that if you are wanting to fly without a pilot. I fly indoors and out, and have not had any trouble running into anything.

Litchi is a powerful WP program and can certainly be programmed to duplicate the WPs of MPCC, but not the moves. It is Solo's ability to control the gimbal to ease in and out of every move that no one has been able to duplicate. It is what gives the Solo it's 'cinematic' look.

Reactions: Benzo
I loved the webinar. Colin knocked that one outta the park! However, I didn't get an answer on my "Will 3DR release a multi battery charging station?" question. I saw a 5 battery charger inside 3DR's flying cage at NAB and they were using it but when I asked if it was for sale the developer asked me how much I would pay for it. I said $350 and he just laughed. Never did get a clear answer on if or when this would get released other than "We're working on it." Still out of all the sUAS choices I saw at NAB, I'm soooo glad I went with SOLO.
The multi-charger isn't going to come out from 3DR but it looks like it will from a third party, so that charger that has been seen with the 3DR logos does look like it will make it to reality.

Not saying he's right or wrong, but he was a 3DR dev. I'd like to know what the truth is.
Please research a little bit your self, before quoting someone from some other site. Save you from looking like a fool.
He dos NOT WORK for 3DR!
he's a Arducopter Developer. There are about 500 Arducopter Developer's

Please research a little bit your self, before quoting someone from some other site. Save you from looking like a fool.
He dos NOT WORK for 3DR!
he's a Arducopter Developer. There are about 500 Arducopter Developer's
It doesn't sound like you know much about 3DR, Arducopter and Solo or Rob Lefebvre. To be precise, there were 4 dedicated developers for Ardupilot supported by 3DR. of which Rob Lefebvre was one. Without them there would be no Arducopter as we know it today. There would be no Solo either. Where did you come up with an absurd number of 500? Because it's open source? If that's how you look at it, then even you are an Arducopter developer. You don't know what you're talking about. Do you think it's a coincidence AC 3.4 is several months late?

3DR dropped all support for Ardupilot which put those four devs out of work, but now there is Ardupilot.org which will hopefully be funded through other sources. Pixhawk 2 is being developed as open source now which 3DR is not funding either. Go to DIY Drones and do some research to save YOURSELF from looking like a fool.

It is true Arducopter and Solo had a separate team, but they share the exact same code with Solo having its own proprietary code for things like MPCC.

The question remains: Is what Rob Lefebvre said true or not?

Last edited:
Well bad pilots tend to run into things, which would not likely improve the motors performance much.

There have been a number of motor failures that had nothing to do with running into things. Inexpensive, lower quality bearings being one issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44