Colin Guinn webinar, I have to buy another Solo

Reaction score
I'm so glad I decided to invest in the way of the Solo. Colin's webinar today just re-enforces my opinion that the Solo platform will be a sweat ride for another year +. It just keeps getting better and better. I just ordered another so I can have dedicated platforms for my applications and be able to play with the newer features. My budget for the year is about gone else I would the Hoverfly tether and FLIRone setup on the list. It almost feel like Christmas.

Reactions: franknitty69
I wonder what the cost of the tethering device will be. My guess is not cheap, but that's a pretty slick option to have.

Reactions: Stal
Everything Burkeam said, plus Good Q&A session.
Answers to many question being asked:
App with Boat mode, Many new Autonomous flights Coming out in about 2 weeks!

Motors test continually for over 1008 hours! Solo in the air for 42 days straight!

So much more need to see vid again....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Go to time code in video 6:43

Last edited:
My hopes for better software and especial modes is high now!!!
(and thinking I lost faith on the product, on another treat few days ago.....)
If we only could travel in time to be on June 15th to have the update right away!!
I am quite anxious to get that update running!

The rewind feature is a nice kicker. Especially if it works with all the Smart Shots. Rewind you just hold the pause button the the Solo will directly return along the path it was on while giving gimbal control on the stick- I thought he said left? I interrupt this is active until releasing the pause button.

The Return on Path to Home is great too. The example was being on the other-side of a structure and lost the signal. The
Solo won't return directly home but follow the path backward automatically up to 60 m then fly directly home. By then you should be back in radio contact.

A dynamic home is also slated to continuously update the home position to where the controller is or was at last.

The real cool thing is his talked about flying in tunnels and bridges with the Kodak 360 sphere camera - really cool itself for the VR guys. I gather they are onto better flying ability without the GPS? He also mention this current platform is not slated for object avoidance technology. This can be read into they are thinking forward to the next platform needs at the same time on making the Solo a long lived platform.

Live view will highlight where you are on the video stream like a balloon/marker. If you loose yourself and are fling FPV just rotate 360 until you see you marker. Then fly that direction. It will also keep your points for your smart shots. When you are flying back in the area you can see the point and select them again.

Another one is the cable vectoring spider-man sling shot thingy - forgot the name. Use it like cable cam to set the Point A then just head in the direction you want to go. It will just vector a cable in that direction to move along. You don't have to go to a B point 1st to set it.

Sorry so ling. It was well worth an hour of my time.

My opinion at this time, there is no other platform able to compete to the Solo in the technological advancement, forward compatibility, warranty, quality of build, outstanding customer support and cost of entry. If I'm wrong please enlighten me. I was kidding - don't enlighten me as I loving where I'm at with my sUAV journey and maybe ignorance is bliss.

rewind via pause button sounds cool
no battery upgrade is a bummer
IMO too soon to be bringing up Solo 2...i hope it wont be released until after next year....just so we can keep getting new features on the existing Solo :)

Did anyone get the solo gimbal discount code for the webinar? I was registered, in there but did not get it.

rewind via pause button sounds cool
no battery upgrade is a bummer
IMO too soon to be bringing up Solo 2...i hope it wont be released until after next year....just so we can keep getting new features on the existing Solo :)
He did not bring up Solo 2. The context was something like "maybe on the next platform" when taking about some feature.

As far as batteries, 3DR will not be producing a larger batteries but he said there were suppliers working on the made for Solo concept which some are doing batteries with very impressive results. The industry is waiting for the battery tech to catch up. He did even mention something about the possibilities of hydrogen fuel cells.

What I got out of it is Solo is a platform for a lot of many companies to use as development platforms.

Thanks for the update on the video already in Utube .

43 straight days tested for the teethering system, said Collins. So Solo hoover for 43 days.
Video time 12:38

Can the motors be that durable ?
I know stop and go is bad for motors & bearings and non-stop running does offer longer bearing life in hours, but 43 days non stop sounds too good to be true at 1,032 hours non stop.

Thanks for the update on the video already in Utube .

43 straight days tested for the teethering system, said Collins. So Solo hoover for 43 days.
Video time 12:38

Can the motors be that durable ?
I know stop and go is bad for motors & bearings and non-stop running does offer longer bearing life in hours, but 43 days non stop sounds too good to be true at 1,032 hours non stop.

Does make you wonder what bearings or motors were on it.

meh he said possibly higher capacity battery developed by 3rd party...haven't heard much in this front. Nothing official from 3DR.

he didn't announce Solo 2 but there was discussion about it.

BTW the code can be find in the youtube link

"Use code WEBINAR526 to get the gimbal FREE with your Solo bundle purchase"

Those who are upgrading motors, original motors seem to have a extended longevity from the suggested 100 hours replacment.
Depending on the circumstances, I'm thinking motors/bearings good for 300+ hours.

You only have until the 29th to take them up on the webinar offer of a Solo with free Gimbal!

Wonder why so many owners have had issues long before hours anywhere near that?
There could be a difference between running them that long continuously, vs starting and stopping hundreds of times like you would on batteries. Also just hovering, like you would on a tether, is a lot less stressful on the motors than actually flying it around where the forces are a lot less constant.

My main complaint about the stock motors is how loud/squeaky they get after 40ish hours. I'm sure they work and last a lot longer. I'd be curious at how the motors sounded after that many days of continuous flying. Not just that it could stay in the air that long. That's just part of the story.

Reactions: Burkeam
Watching the webinar just confirms that Solo is here to stay and is still ahead of the pack in its class and that the concept of the open platform is the best option. The new zip line function and review will be excellent additions to the Solo toolkit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44